Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating in-line transmitter in hot water.

I was called out to a local hospital to inspect and locate some probable defects in the main trunkline, which originated in the boiler/mechanical plant, then through the kitchen and cafeteria, followed branches to four wards, then out to the street. Using the 4550 locator and the color mini w/in-line transmitter, I couldn't get a strong enough signal to locate the sonde. When pulled out of the pipe and tested above ground, the signal peaked. I had to tape a flushable 512Hz transmitter around the spring and run them both to get a locatable signal. I had my local Rigid Rep. meet me on the job. He told me that it was the tempature of the hot water flowing in the line that caused the problem. Is this so?

Need to get some more info if we could. Was the line directly from the boiler and/or was the camera hot to the touch when you pulled it out? If yes could you hold onto it or was it too hot?

[This message has been edited by TCY (edited 11-08-2000).]

Comment

OK, the trunk line does originate in the physical plant, but the boilers blow down to a containment tank located outside the foundation. The line then services back to back restrooms located 8 feet from the clean-out we entered, then runs approx. 50 feet to service the kitchen--NON grease bearing fixtures only. The grease laden lines also exit the side of the building. The trunk line runs down the center of the kitchen-about 60' then provides service to a hand wash sink on the servers side of the cafeteria serving line. The line runs down the center of the dining room approx 80' then serves the units before exiting the building and running to the street. The trouble we encountered with the locator was that first 10'. And, NO the camera was not hot, in fact, the only time I'm really sure we traveled in hot water was when we approached the hand wash sink at the serving line, there was a slight bit of steam rising from the water in the bottom of the pipe. Also, (and I mean this with total respect), I am fully aware the steps necessary to activate the transmitter in my mini color camera. I had no trouble with it two days earlier on a residential job. Also it performed perfect for me today on a commercial sewer inspection at an even greater depth. I checked the batteries this morning on the 4550, and I can hear the sonde when activated.

------------------

Comment

I believe that there may be some other circumstance(s) that contributed to the trouble you experienced. Metal beams, electical panels and circuitry can have an effect on the amount of signal that is picked up from the transmitter. If there were no such things that were in the transmitters way, then I would say that the transmitter may be faulty. The hot water should have little or no effect on the performance of the transmitter. Therefore, either the transmitter was out of the locators' range, something was obstructing the signal, or it just was not working properly. Most likely this was just an anomaly that will not be a problem in the future, especially since the unit was working properly the following day. However, if this does happen again, I would suggest that you have the transmitter tested by a Ridge Service Center.

Comment

We have had Aaron, one of our service managers, answer on the forum. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to reach us on the forum or directly at Techservices@ridgid.com

PS-We did some tests of the transmitters in 190 degree F water. There was no loss of signal strength after 10 minutes.

Comment

I appriciate your time and suggestions. There were a couple of large electrical panels in our path. I used it again today, and it was dead on.
            Thanks

Comment

Ahh now for the kicker some times ductile iron is used in sewers and 512 sonds cannot not be heard through this type of pipe but if it was only a small section (boiler room area only) then this may be your answer.It drove me nuts untill I found this out.Had a sewer line that was 4feet deep but could not find my sonde.If you only had a small section of ductile Iron and then it changed back to regular cast then this may jave been your problem.
              Pete
              Advance Tech sewer and drain

Comment

Working...
              X