Just got my helium leak detector.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my helium leak detector.

MGD-2002 Helium/ Hydrogen leak detector. Already used it to find a leak I could not find with my Subsurface acoustic unit. This showed me the area and then I switched back to the subsurface unit to narrow it down. I used Helium because I already had some but I think I will be using the hydrogen mix because it is cheaper in the future.
    Attached Files
    Seattle Drain Service

i was going to ask about the cost of helium. it's in short supply and is actually limited availability out here. is the hydrogen mix just as good at surfacing and getting through the leaky pipe?

how close to you need to walk to get a hit?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

It's tough to really get a straight answer on helium vs. hydrogen (5%) you can buy a hydrogen only detector for around $4500 but the helium only or helium/hydrogen is $6500. The helium is supposed to be a little better as far as accuracy so I went for the helium so I could use either. But I was told that under slabs that hydrogen was smaller and could get through a slab faster. As for how close the wand is adjustable and can be on the ground or slightley off. If there is wind it needs to hug the ground. It also came with a small hand held probe to push in walls etc. I was going to buy a GPR unit but at the last second the deal fell apart so I got this instead.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

i wasn't too impressed when i demoed a gpr at the trade show 3 years ago. we were inside the convention center with rebar floors and it wasn't really as clear as i thought. the rep was from the factory, so i would think he knew how to fine tune it.

helium is what i was impressed with at a large outdoor mall that we didn't have a clue where to start looking. other than a huge water bill and a spinning meter. there was no signs of water and the helium found it. almost 15' deep.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Yea GPR is hit or miss depending on the soil where it's working. In sand it's great! In heavy clay it's blind. you also need a different antenna for every different depth, they have the hand scan for concrete and rebar shallow, then you jump to one good to 12 feet (depending on soil lol) But if I can do sweeps over a property and find plastic or clay pipes before I smash one with the excavator it will be all worth it in the end. And they can find water leaks if you can read the display it takes experience to interpret a GPR graph.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Awesome,, good luck with ur new toy.

Comment

Working...
            X