Mini vs Full Size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini vs Full Size

I know this isn't the first discussion whether the Mini or full size rod is the most versatile but I wanted to start the conversation again to see if there's some more current feedback.

I am using the Mini 200' and there have been times I wasn't able to reach the main in the street (doing only residential work).

Just yesterday, I was very frustrated that I couldn't get more than 35' out because of so many bends in the line or some other unknown reason. After 20 minutes of fighting and re-sending the camera down two different times, I had to give up. I estimated the main line was only another 15-20 feet out. I was pretty miffed.

Would the larger rod have gotten me all the way? Trying to determine if spending another $7,000 is worth it or just understand and accept my limitations with the Mini.

I re-read my posts from a while ago looking for tricks or other lubrication methods and see that laundry detergent may work well. I haven't tried that yet but will now.

Any other thoughts?

Own both and then one more. Be a professional.

Comment

Yes the fullsize has a thicker push rod and this can make the difference in making it all the way to the main, also you can damage the mini easier and need a reterm because even being careful will take a toll on the mini's pushrod. Soap? I usually only use it when a camera is stuck because I hate running water to clear the soap away to see again water is usually enough for most jobs. I say this next part with a WARNING use at your own risk but buying a 1/4" duct rodder and taping it to the mini is a lot cheaper than buying a fullsize for that occasional job where it just needs a little help to get to the main. You just have to show self control while you do it and not get aggressive with your new found power lol. All this said I do most of my inspections with the mini because it is lighter and uses less space than the fullsize. If I know I have a special job I bring the Fullsize.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

owning multiple different models of seesnake cameras, the best pushing cable would be from the rm200 with the thicker D2B drum. it's 165'. The outer cover is a slicker material and the pushrod lays out flat.

But it's also a more expensive replacement cable if you need to ever replace it.

Rick
        phoebe it is

Comment

I have a full size and a mini. overall it's in my opinion that the full size the best bang. The mini is nice for up to 4 inch but having a mini while needing a fullsize,or having a full size and needing a mini is the deal breaker. If you do as lot of toilet pulls or going through vents or tight radius bends mini is the way to go,if you do long runs in pipe 4 inch and up u need a full size.

Comment

With the old Mini & in 4" clay I could usually push out easily without water to 150' - 160' pipe. with the new one having more flexible cable I often have to work hard to get distance over 110'.

I think I'm going to have to throw down some cash & either buy the 325' Standard Camera or maybe look at other camera options as i'd like better user in field serviceability given being located down in my part of the work as finding a good repair guy is hard & I have had to repair my camera's myself & its no fun (i.e. I'd like a detachable camera head & back connector for the push rod for easy swap out).

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
              WARNING use at your own risk but buying a 1/4" duct rodder and taping it to the mini is a lot cheaper than buying a fullsize for that occasional job where it just needs a little help to get to the main.
              I like this idea. So do you just tape it with electrical tape every five feet as you feed it in? I'd like to hear your technique.

I just did a job a couple days ago and had trouble pushing 55ft. Had 6" PVC clean out with a 10ft drop (thank god they used a wye rather than a tee), followed by another (horizontal) 15ft PVC then remaining 30ft was clay. No roots or build up in pipe just a couple little lips in the clay sections. The push rod was so flexible in the 6" riser that it got tough to push at about 45ft.

I did a google search for 1/4" duct rodder and a 425ft Rodder w reel comes up from Walmart for $110 (free shipping too!). I could split the cost w my buddy who also has the same 200ft mini reel I have. If it helps on one job its worth the $55 is gonna cost me. Beats paying $7k for the full size reel!

Comment

Don't set your hopes too high as a real 425' fiberglass push rod and reel will set you back we'll over $1000.00

See.what their return policy is.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I'm just trying to get my 8mm push rod as ridgid (pun intended) as an 11mm push rod. It's being used in conjunction with my existing push rod so I think the cheap 6mm rodder SHOULD serve its purpose...worth a shot anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X