Locator depth accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locator depth accuracy

Anyone else had trouble with inaccurate depth readings using a r idgid camera with locator?

what locator are you using?

I'm +or - 1'' in depth and 1-2'' on center line depending on depth.

I'm using an sr-20 and have been locating since 1995 when you had to triangulate using 4 points for location and another 2 points with some math for depth. yes the good old days when locating was a science.

What camera and locator? What kind of depth and what pipe material? The Deeper the pipe, the more dense the material, the less signal strength getting to the surface.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I'm using the Ridgid see snake with the ridgid sr20. It's been not very accurate on all pipe types as far as depth goes, sometime s as much as 2' off...it doesn't even matter the depth, I can be 24" down or 15' down. It's frustrating, maybe I'll have to get it looked at.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
        PLUMBER RICK commented
        Editing a comment
        any chance to borrow another locater or try locating with theirs

Rick

Make sure you have you're locator Tuned into the 512hz .sonde mode. Not the 512 line trace mode.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Wonder if there is an old galvanized water line close by I?ve seen that a few times back in the day they sometimes would run them both in the same ditch, you might be bouncing your signal onto other metallic objects.

Also try laying your camera/transmitter on top the ground to double check it, I do this fairly often just to make sure it?s working properly if it?s still off by two feet I would get it looked at.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Rick, I will double check that it's not in line trace mode...I checked this morning and it was 512 hz but a technician needed it so I didn't look closely.

Comment

Seektech locators are some of the most accurate locators there are, you can approach the sonde from any angle and be directed to the center while most make you find the peak or null and then turn the locator to be at the same angle as the pipe, it leads to a bigger chance of being off and it takes a lot longer even for a good locator. Seektechs tell you when there is signal distorion by the nice or fuzzy line, most do not and a few have started as of 2019 to offer this. The SR-20 will locate 12-20 feet deep depending on signal.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

We been running the SR 60 for years never had a missed is always been accurate the only time it?s not is if there is a metal grid in the concrete but you can figure that out by just by testing this year we just bought the Metrotech vivax vloc 3 pros they?re amazing with Bluetooth built-in for mapping right over Google maps on your phone and in sond mode you can?t miss it shows a little bumblebee kind of idiot proof what?s really nice is the transmitter tells you how many milliamps it?s giving off so in case there?s another line that the signal is transferring over your screen will change colors and your milliamps will drop on the screen to let you know the signal dropped and you?re not on the target line anymore

Comment

Scout is always dead on left to right, sometimes off a foot or so depth

Comment

How is the Scout accuracy for 4' and less?

Comment

• Jjj
                    Jjj commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pretty close most of the time, its within 6 inches unless your over 5 ft of so deep
                Working...
                X