No announcement yet.

Piping Video to harddrive in digital format

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piping Video to harddrive in digital format

Has anybody tried piping the Video from a SeeSnake VHS system to a harddrive or some kind of digital device?

Our VHS/monitor unit has a traditional yellow video push-on jack and a single mono audio jack too. Is there some kind of converter we can buy to change the signal to a digital one and then record it to a harddrive? I'm asking because the DVD/monitor unit Ridgid sells isn't the best way for us to go. We have to edit the video once it comes to our building and ripping the DVD onto the harddrive would take almost as long as it takes us to import the VHS using a video input card and watching the video so we can split it up into pieces.

any similar situations?

I don't have a seesnake but I use the Pinnacle product to transfer video from my older analog camcorder to my PC and the editing program is excellent.

Another device that has worked for others can be purchased over the internet for less than $50. This is one of many manufacturers of this type of equipment.
      Mark F. Fleming<br />Product Manager<br />RIDGID/Kollmann

Thanks for the info. All good ideas.

Has anyone used a device that doesn't require a computer or laptop to process and save the video?

The video out jack is a standard video out jack that can be used to record onto any media that has a video in jack. This would include camcords that have a video in jack and/or any other recording devices.

The key is to use a device that is portable enough and rugged enough to be used in your particular application.
          Mark F. Fleming<br />Product Manager<br />RIDGID/Kollmann

One way that comes to mind is with a mini-DV camcorder. You need one with a digital pass-thru, which most newer digital camcorders have. Record from the composite out (yellow RCA jack) of your device directly to the camcorder and it will be converted to digital and simultaneously transferred to your PC via fire-wire(1394).

Might Work Out!

That might work out well actually! Buy two MiniDV corders. One really rugged and dust-resistant for the plumber's van and another standard generic corder for the office. The plumber can swap the DV tapes with the office and we'll have it digital. Only problem is we still have to deal with the rewind/fast-forward of things. I'm dying to get rid of that and just have uncompressed video on a digital drive so it's easy to pick apart and move around.

There is no problem with fastforward/rewind once you have it on the pc - it will be digital and you can edit it as such...

Why not buy the new DVD monitor and do away with the VHS all together?

"Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Most of todays better camcorders are pure digital, they come in versions that record directly to built in hard disk or versions that record to DVD disk

Yeah but I don't think he wants to burn directly to a DVD. DVD is a compressed format. It is not a "raw" format(avi) video like DV so it's not good for editing - not to mention that it will have to be ripped from the DVD back to the computer hard disk, and this adds time to the proccess.