? clearing a lateral line?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? clearing a lateral line?

Most of all my work in the area of drain clearing, has been in interior lines (grease and small toys, and other, in small lines), been using a K-380, and or the drill powered canister cleaner currently, or my power washer jetting, them. (most work is in the maintenance area, for a few places I work with now, as my knees have jsut about put me on the side lines for many full time jobs, between the maintenance and farming I keep busy any more).

a few days ago I was called to a house I keep up, and the new tenant had a blockage, the first report was a clogged over flowing toilet that did not shut off in the garage, and flooded the floor, got in there and it was not the toilet but the main line, so I came back to the shop and got the k-380 1/2 cable and went back later in the day,

And since the line runs under the garage, I figured it was grease or some thing flushed down the toilet, did not suspect roots as in the last 30 years have never had a root problem, in that building, and in the past 30 years only one main line blockage and that was build up at the end of the lateral entering into the city main.

I went in with the bulb tool and picked up a diaper liner, and tried a gain and got some more paper products, about 10 foot in from the clean out, then I started to catch some small roots, as well, and started to wonder if the 1/2 cable was enough to work with, (3" hubed cast iron,), so I proceed slow and easy, pulling bits and pieces of diaper and paper and small roots, and then went in fine went to about 20 feet and some more, then I caught a big one, and carefully worked on it some more, any way to make a long story short, using a small retriever ended up pulling out four wads of roots about 3" around and about 3' foot long at each joint.

now with this experience I am wondering besides using a machine rated for that kind of work, how should one proceed to make the most efficient use of the time and the machine. and the tools to do the job right. (as I know I have another place to do that has roots), and may need to go back and do a more complete job at the location I talked about above,

I have a k-750 with 3/4" cable ordered.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I searched and have not really found much how to information.

I am interested in knowing how you go about the process of clearing a blockage in a lateral line?

If the blockage is unknown?

If the blockage is thought to be know, (meaning a repeat root problems) or similar?

What tools do you start with on the cable, and how to choose the cutter/retriever/tool of choice of tools to use?

In roots what is the procedures you use?

Thank you,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: ? clearing a lateral line?

glad you ordered that k-750. you got lucky with the 380.

real quickly as dinner is waiting

i always attempt to use a blade that is full size or 1/2'' smaller than the pipe. bulb augers are ok for 1.5'' and 2'' lines, but not large lines. a blade is better. i like the spiral root saws. these tend to cut through anything.

dinner is getting cold

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

In a 4" line I like to start with a 3" spiral root cutter. I have a sectional rod runner but I made an adapter to fit a 1/2 Ridged drill and I always use that. Using the drill I get more of a feel of what is going on. Once I've cleared the line I usually talk the customer into having it camered. Once I know the line can take it I send in a 4" spiral root cutter to really clean up. I like to wait on the 4" because most lines around here are soo old and clay most joints are offset and sending the 4" could do more harm then good.
      DON'T MAKE THIS MISTAKE!
      I wanted to do a better job at cleaning the walls of a pipe(minor roots) because it was still holding some water. so after I sent in the 3" I tried a bit that was meant for PVC. This bit was spring loaded and self adjusting open or closed as it needed it. I felt a strange pop and pulled the snake out and my jaw dropped when I only found a small piece of the bit still left on the snake . Somewhere down that drain I lost three 4" knife like pieces of metal when I sent my camera down I couldn't find them. I was never sure if they stayed in the line or went in the main. This was a year ago and no problems. I thought it was going to be time for me to call in an excavator. Close call. So make sure you use bits for what the job they are intended for.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

i too use an expanding cutter on 4'' -6'' pipe. this is only when i've camered it first. to expensive of a cutter to get stuck or broken. this is the ridgid model with 2 spring loaded cutters and it's called a finishing cutter.

typically i use this for a 6'' line when only a 4'' c/o is installed.

stil my most aggresive cutter is the spiral root saw. it's teeth are on both sides of the blade for cutting in both directions.

i also like the cutting action of an open wind sectional cable. it will grab roots and baby wipes all the way down.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thank you all for your replies,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
          X