Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oiling cables? What is the best way to do it?

On your machines,

What is the method do you use to keep the cables/snakes, oiled to keep them from rusting?

Removing from machine and dipping in a tub filled with oil?
    Rubbing it on with a rag?
    Dumping it in the machines drum?
    ?????????????????

and What do you use for a oil/rust inhibitor?
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: Oiling cables? What is the best way to do it?

i have heard that using a light cooking oil in a spary bottle works well.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Transmission fluid in a pump oiler, works amasing for lots of things give it a try. Cooking oil gets sticky, and bugs like it.

Comment

i always remove the cables on the small hand machines k-39. 1/4''-3/8'' x 35'.

when i'm done it just remove shake like a lasoe? and wind up. at this point it's easy to spray with "snake oil". truthfully since the cable is not in the drum anymore, sitting in water, they don't need much oil.

on the drum machines with enclosed drums, all ridgid models. it's not practical to remove the cable. too heavy and bulky and a pita

when i'm done and before i retrieve the cable back into the drum, i use a spray bottle with snake oil and a rag to help dry and apply this oil to the cable. also very important to rotate the drum to the drain position. let all the excess water and oil out.

snake oil is the brand that "general snake" puts out. i believe ridgid also makes a snake oil. it's a light weight lubricant with deodorizers and cleaners.

wd-40 isn't much of a lube, but works in a pinch.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
          Cooking oil gets sticky, and bugs like it.

see this is why i am not a plumber
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Oil a cable????hummmmmmmm

I use my machines so much they don't have time to rust....lmao
            but when I do oil em I use W-D 40 but like I said my machines get used every day so I don't use much oil or I`d have a big mess at the end of the day.
            Just make sure you wash em up after every uses and drain the drums and if you don't use em much, you better oil em with a rust inhibiter of some kind.

DO NOT use Cooking oil
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
              DO NOT use Cooking oil

fine fine fine i get the point now.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Ok glad you got the point BTW I dont really know Dog.... lmao

Comment

BHD I also forgot to say , Make sure you run water when you are pulling out it will help keep your cables clean before you return em to the machine "drum or no drum"

Comment

I hate to say it on this forum, but I use Spartan drain cleaning equipment almost exclusivley.

When I lube my cables ( once a week ) I pull them out all the way and use General snake oil as I bring them back in.
                    My machines all have the auto feed Mechanism (having a brain fart here). When my cable is all the way out i'll retract it and oil it with a rag at the same time.
                    Brent

Comment

Originally posted by BAPlumber View Post
                      I hate to say it on this forum, but I use Spartan drain cleaning equipment almost exclusivley.

When I lube my cables ( once a week ) I pull them out all the way and use General snake oil as I bring them back in.
                      My machines all have the auto feed Mechanism (having a brain fart here). When my cable is all the way out i'll retract it and oil it with a rag at the same time.
                      ditto, ditto.

except the spartan thing. i only have 1 spartan machine. it's a 300 model. i prefer the ridgid name. infact the ridgid and spartan have a very similar pattern and do interchange on the 3/4'' cables and cutters.

welcome to the forum.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X