X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloves for cable snake

Saw the leather gloves w/ the staples cost around 18 bucks each. Went to military surplus store and they sell the same thing but it cost $3 each and they're gloves not mittens and they come halfway to your elbow. The military use them for setting up concentina wire.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Gloves for cable snake

I use these
    I get em at lowes and home depot for around 3.99 to 4.99 a 3 pack. I use laytex gloves for linners so I can reuse the outer gloves many times before trashing em
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I use gloves much like ALL Clear uses, I jsut don't do drain clearing work on a day in and day out basis,

most of my drain clearing gloves uslay have lived a former life as normal work gloves,

This was discovered some what by accident,

I had an old pair of gloves that I had used a few days before with the drain machines, and they were stiff and hard when I need to use them again, and hated to get a new pair messed up that day, so I dipped them in some diesel I had used for another purpose, and soaked the gloves.

(some old timers used a mixture of kerosene and neatsfoot oil on leather harness or if they were broke many times jsut the kerosene)
      (diesel is very close to kerosene in make up),

after dipping I let them drip out, and padded them down with a paper towel.

when I went to use them they keep the water from coming through the leather in the gloves and keep them soft and supple and have used them a number of times since,
      (they smell like diesel), but I prefer that over the anaerobic smells that can get embedded in your skin,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ON OTHER WORK GLOVES,
      on leather gloves that I use for other work, (I find that there is some thing in the leather that dry my hands out), and one each new pair of gloves I use "Skidmores Leather conditioner" some of the best leather conditioner I know of, I have restored 60 to 80 year old horse harness with the product, taken old dry hard leather hobbles and halters and bridles and returned them to a soft usable condition again with the product, I use it on my boots,
      it has bees wax in it and helps to water proof them, and keep the leather them in good condition. (I buy it by the gallon).

to use it on my gloves on I put a small dab on the gloves and jsut rub my hands together working it around and in to the leather.

http://skidmores.com/cgi-bin/miva-4....egory_Code=SLC

I find the gloves much nicer to wear and I think they last longer than the untreaded gloves,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the gloves above I use with my drain machines, (these goves had not been previesely treated with "Skidmores Leather conditioner". but even if they had have been I would continure to use the same treatment on them for drain gloves.
      Last edited by BHD; 05-11-2007, 07:43 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

These gloves are just for drain cleaning. I used to use the regular gloves when I ran w/ a tight wind cable but couldn't when I switched to a k60 w/ the open wind cable. The gloves I'm talking about have the staples (or little strips of metal)in the palm.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I use a brand called ugly gloves, they are dark red and rubber. The nice thing about them is that they keep your hands dry and are thick enough to not get caught in your cable.
          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
            I use a brand called ugly gloves, they are dark red and rubber. The nice thing about them is that they keep your hands dry and are thick enough to not get caught in your cable.

that's very similar to what i use. except the ones i use are longer and are yellow with larger embedded rubber chips.

j.m mckinney sells them for the last 10 years thanks to me bringing them in a sample. i wish i was their supplier and not the nice guy that showed them the gloves in the first place along with the co. i got them from

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I also use the ugly gloves which works well but I do like the idea of having longer gloves. I did e-mail j.m. mckinney to get more info about the glove Rick uses and got a reply back saying they nolonger keep them in stock. So Rick you better not wear yours out.

Comment

Originally posted by wizzy View Post
                I also use the ugly gloves which works well but I do like the idea of having longer gloves. I did e-mail j.m. mckinney to get more info about the glove Rick uses and got a reply back saying they nolonger keep them in stock. So Rick you better not wear yours out.
                remember, i'm the one that introduced them to j.m. mckinney.

i have plenty and i have my source

there is a big trade show next month, here in long beach. i will see if the co. is there. if not i will have to look them up.

i'll also talk to mckinney and find out what happened to them

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, The gloves I use come between the wrist and elbow. Are the gloves you use longer, and how do they hold up.
                  THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

the yellow "ugly gloves" are better lined and hold up very well. although i tend to favor my right hand while handling the cables. therfore i have more left handed gloves still in better shape. the gloves are about 5'' past my wrist. just under 1/2 way to my elbow.

i still wear nitrile liners under my gloves.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Talking to my supplier "Allan J.Coleman" about having a glove that was higher on the wrist then the red ugly glove and it turns out he did have the glove that Rick is using. Just received it and tried it out and I like it. It is thicker so will last longer then the ugly glove but a little stiffer. Cost was $7 conpaired to the ugly glove of $4.50.

Comment

Working...
                      X