Plumber Rick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumber Rick

Okay here is my take on the different machines. Most of the guys who worked for me had never touched a sectional machine prior to working for me. On each truck I would try to keep a drum machine with the following, 1-100' of 3/4", 1- 80' of 3/4" and 1-100' of 1/2". Then in the Ridgid stuff I would keep a K-50 with both canisters and 200' of 5/8" and a K-60 with 200' of 7/8. In the shop I kept a KM-1500 and a K-500 plus all of the 1 1/4" stuff.

Most of the guys would slowly switch over to the sectional stuff when the found how often it saved their butt but they still liked the drum stuff when time was a factor. If I only could have one machine on the truck it would be the K-50 and I would have to pass on mains with roots.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      Rick, Doesnt the new K-39 AF have a chuck and a reverse switch? I can't find one here in the product managers office but I believe that it should be the do-all of the k-39 line.

Josh

josh, the k-39 af has a reverse switch, but unlike the older power feed unit, reverse doesn't have to be used unless you get stuck with it dual feed levers, it retrieves the cable while still rotating in a forward direction. sort of like how the big drum units work.

as far as a chuck goes. the chuck i'm referring to is an actual chuck similar to a keyless drill chuck. the slide chuck that the standard k-39 and k-39pf is junk it doesn't really grip the cable and it doesn't allow you to run the cable to the end. that's why i carry both machines and a spare.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Ahhh.. I see said the blind man. Ok... Just wondering. I dont have the practical use background. I have only cleaned 2 drains with it

Makes perfect sense to me.

Later,

Josh

Comment

I think my biggest thing is that the k60 is sectional, I am not used to that, I have always used a drum machine, is it hard to get used to?, or will I get it right away?? I would clear up alot of room in my van if I used the k60 rather then my drum type m/l. Like I said, teaching a old dog new tricks, once we are in habit of using something, I especially, find it hard to change, but, I am always up for a space saver.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            I think my biggest thing is that the k60 is sectional, I am not used to that, I have always used a drum machine, is it hard to get used to?, or will I get it right away?? I would clear up alot of room in my van if I used the k60 rather then my drum type m/l. Like I said, teaching a old dog new tricks, once we are in habit of using something, I especially, find it hard to change, but, I am always up for a space saver.
            There is a learning curve so don't get fustrated. I noticed that my setup time is longer but my overall time is shorter. I havent needed to run my snake longer than 15 min. Keep in mind that my longest run was 95 ft. I also have a k-3800 w/ 2 drums. The k60 takes up less space than that. 2 pieces of cardboard are very useful in case of overspray. Because it is modular, you can stash the pieces where ever you have room. Never used the k-7500 but have used the spartan 1065. K-60 won't replace it but will do 95% of what a big machine will do. As a sole proprieter something to think about; damage a drum cable, you buy a new cable(300-500), damage a sectional cable; you spend around 30-$50 to fix a section.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks Ben for the info. I get a very long life out of my cables, I clean them often with cable oil and wipe my machine down regularly. I will invest in the k60, I belive that overall it will save me time, money and space.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                There is a learning curve so don't get fustrated. I noticed that my setup time is longer but my overall time is shorter. I havent needed to run my snake longer than 15 min. Keep in mind that my longest run was 95 ft. I also have a k-3800 w/ 2 drums. The k60 takes up less space than that. 2 pieces of cardboard are very useful in case of overspray. Because it is modular, you can stash the pieces where ever you have room. Never used the k-7500 but have used the spartan 1065. K-60 won't replace it but will do 95% of what a big machine will do. As a sole proprieter something to think about; damage a drum cable, you buy a new cable(300-500), damage a sectional cable; you spend around 30-$50 to fix a section.
                ben 100% correct. but the k-60 will do stuff that the -k7500 or spartan 1065 can't. i find that the k60 does a great job on root infested junk styrene pipe that other cables are too stiff to negotiate the tight non directional fittings.

the 60 will do all but the real nasty 6'' mains from the lateral to the saddle. still need a 7500 in the truck, but it is not used anywhere as much as it use to.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I was reading back on prior post and am curious about the mess that the k-60 will make. rick, I take it that this machine is just an outside machine since there is no sealed drum? I use drop cloths and wear booties when I enter my customers house, so cleanliness is next to godlyness just like my quality, it is number one on my list
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    I was reading back on prior post and am curious about the mess that the k-60 will make. rick, I take it that this machine is just an outside machine since there is no sealed drum? I use drop cloths and wear booties when I enter my customers house, so cleanliness is next to godlyness just like my quality, it is number one on my list
                    the k-60 has a rear guide hose and that will keep most everything clean. is it as clean as a closed drum machine no, can it be used indoors without a mess? yes.

1 trick is to only run it into the drain and not run it out under power/ spinning only to get loose if stuck. i havn't had any messes. will i do a bathroom floor with white carpet? no, will you

outside i don't even run the rear tube. unless there is lots of plants or ivy that the cable can get wound in.

there is a small learning curve and hopefully you practice outside prior to going into a clean space. i always hose off the spool of cable when i'm done and oil the push pin connectors. this way the cables are clean and the connectors are free.

rick
                    phoebe it is

Comment

thank you for the info rick
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Robert if you already do the dropcloths then you're already there. I carry 2 pieces of cardboard that I use. My cable reel sits on one and the other gets folded in half so it stands up and place it so it covers the cable. Hardly have any problems.

You'll have your biggest problem keeping clean when retriving your cable. I connect all my cable and feed it female end first into the reel. When I get done snaking the line, I'll move the 60 out the way and attach the cable in the pipe to the cable in the reel and just place it in the reel. I found this to be much better and easier than the training video shows.

Feeding your cable in the reel like this also helps when you feed into the pipe. Attach your bit to the cable and hand feed it straight from the reel. when it stops just disconnect the section in the reel and move the 60 in place and run it like normal.

No one at work here runs sectionals so I had to figure this out for myself. I'm sure Rick and Mark can bring some pointers to improve the technique. I'm slowly changing my boss's mind on the 60. He always says "If you're not running spartan than you're not running s***". I haven't heard him say that in a while.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks Ben for the info appreciate it
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Did this today. Had roots in at 7' and 21'. Took 30 min to clear. I placed a straight auger in there (top leftish) to get a reference of scale. K60 went through it very easily.
                            Attached Files
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Rick sold me on the K-60. hopefully i can get it in the 4th quarter budget. but i have a K-75 that has more torque than the 60 and it is my #1 go to machinefor massive blockages. the 60 would be great for theose "hard to get to spots" or bathrooms where the 75 is just too much sizewise.

steve
                              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

For you non-believers it was not too long ago I talked Rick into trying his first Ridgid sectional machine. As opinionated (I mean that in a nice way) as Rick can be he was quickly converted after he bought his first K-50.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X