Plumber Rick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumber Rick

Rick, being that you are the Ridgid Drain machine expert here. If you were going to outfit your truck with Ridgid drain cleaning machines. To lets say clean lines from a 3/4 inch condensate up to a 6 inch sewer main. What machines would you choose? Currently I have all Gorlitz, and after hearing you and others speak about ridgid I’m thinking of switching.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Re: Plumber Rick

I'll let Rick answer for the big stuff but for the 3/4" condensate lines I blow out the line with a nitrogen bottle. Just stick the hose in the end and turn it on. Compressed air works just as well. They also make one shot deals that use co2 cartridges. Pricey but don't take up any room.

If I was a betting man I think Rick would at least mention a K-60. I bought one because of Mark and his recomendations and have not been dissapointed.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I also use co2 on condensate lines although occasionally there will be a line that has to be snaked. Such soda dispenser drains that have multiple tye ins.

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
        Rick, being that you are the Ridgid Drain machine expert here. If you were going to outfit your truck with Ridgid drain cleaning machines. To lets say clean lines from a 3/4 inch condensate up to a 6 inch sewer main. What machines would you choose? Currently I have all Gorlitz, and after hearing you and others speak about ridgid I’m thinking of switching.

i know the guys (2 brothers and dad) at gorlitz from all the trade shows and visits. very nice and knowledgeable. personally i don't own their equipment.

as far as ridgid, drain cleaning equipment goes, i own almost all of them. both good and bad

personally i like the features and upright design of the k-7500 with 3/4'' cable. the enclosed plastic drum allows me to take the machine indoors and stay clean. also as ben mentioned a k-60 with 7/8'' sectional cable has been a real surprise. this machine now gets more use than my 7500. the k-50 is also a work horse. it's 5/8'' sectional has cleared many drains that others have failed at. makes me look like i know what i'm doing

and as far as a hand gun goes, you can get the drum adapter to fit the k-50 for 5/16'' and 3/8'' cable. personally i have these adapters, but i tend to use the hand guns like the new k-39 pf with dual direction feed. but you also need a k-39 with a chuck too if you have to run the cable the entire length or the last 5' in the drum.

as far as a 1.25'' sectional, i don't own a k-1500 but i do own the general 88 1.25'' machine. the 7500 will perform almost as good as the 1.25'' sectional. but unless you're into real nasty drain work, you probably don't need to worry about 1.25'' cable for the trucks.

you can possibly eliminate the k-50 if cost or space is an issue. the k-60 does also run k-50, 5/8'' cable. i find that the 5/8'' sectional cable is more flexible than standard 3/8'' cable and will do a great job.

the sectional is much lighter to transport, especially to a roof or up stairs. it also does a great job cleaning as the coils are open and act like an auger. especially on roots with the 7/8'' k-60. also at 7.5' (5/8'')or 15' (7/8'')sections it is real easy to add length to your machine.

since room is not an issue in my truck, i keep 3- k-39's with multiple cables. a k-50 with 90' of cable. a k-60 with 150' of cable and a k7500 with 125' of cable. along with an electric and gas jetter. 3 seesnakes, not to mention all the normal plumbing supplies and 2 propress machines and even a generator.

i might as well since i get 6mpg with or without all the toys.

do all your trucks do serious drain cleaning? you might set 1 up for the serious stuff and others up with the basics.

rick.

p.s there is no real snake to use on 3/4'' pvc with 90's on it. air or a shop vac. work for me.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-04-2007, 10:22 AM. Reason: 3/4'' pipe cleaning
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, I have a question, I am very curious, why would you carry three of the same machine on the same truck?? Is this because if one breaks, you have the same other machine?
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            Rick, I have a question, I am very curious, why would you carry three of the same machine on the same truck?? Is this because if one breaks, you have the same other machine?
            the k-39 has a few different options. the newer one is the dual feed. it power feeds in and out while still spinning the cable in the same direction.

the k-39 with a locking chuck that will you can grab a stuck cable or feed the cable to very end.

the k-39 with older power feed. it runs forward to go in nad reverse to retrive. this is now a back up machine. along with the 6 others at my shop.

as far as 3 seesnakes. i have the mini in color and black and white. the full size seesnake in color and now the micro and a fiber optic on the truck. the rest of the cameras are at the shop. joey is keeping tabs on her life insurance toys

you don't need all the toys to get the job done, but you need to have all the toys to get it done when no one else can "getter dun"

time to ride shotgun one day. we'll have fun, ask adam

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I carry both my see snakes,pipe transmitter, and locator, top snake-1/4", main line-3/4" and k/s-3/8", never ever had a problem completing any job. Thats only drain attention equipment, I of course have so many more "toys" for every other problem. customer service, you show up to the door, you better be able to solve the problem. Of Course, atleast if I run into something I can't handle in the future, if I do, I know who to call
              Last edited by westcoastplumber; 07-04-2007, 11:25 AM.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

So far I have every truck set up to clean drains up to 4" . I think I am going to try rigid for at least the mainline machines. The Gorlitz works great and has plenty of torque although they are heavy and difficult to get onto the roof. Not to mention going up and down stairs is a pain, I always have to be very careful not to damage cement steps. Right now I have three machines on each truck the go 15 , go 50 and go 62 plus a couple of hand snakes.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  I'll let Rick answer for the big stuff but for the 3/4" condensate lines I blow out the line with a nitrogen bottle. Just stick the hose in the end and turn it on. Compressed air works just as well. They also make one shot deals that use co2 cartridges. Pricey but don't take up any room.

If I was a betting man I think Rick would at least mention a K-60. I bought one because of Mark and his recomendations and have not been dissapointed.
                  Whatever ya do....be VERY careful using those on older drains...seen it blow a trip waste apart when a homeowner got the idea to use one.

Comment

I think you could do well with the ridgid k-60 machine with 7/8 " cable for 2" up to 4" and 5/8" for 1-1/2" up to 2" Any thing above that the ridgid 1500 machine works well from 3" to 8" Small jobs like tubs or lav's hand held units with the bells you like. I only carry the 1500 machine when I know I will be useing it. So the k-60 will get your stoppage open most of the time. and you may have to sell some camera time to really see if they need sections repaired . I don't think you would be disapointed with the k-60 machine.

Comment

I think I will start with the k 60 and see how I like it. I Like the idea of easily being able to carry the machine up and down a ladder. Thanks to all, for the input.

Comment

Let me know your opinion once you start using it, I too might purchase the k-60.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                          Let me know your opinion once you start using it, I too might purchase the k-60.
                          what, you don't believe mark, ben or myself

tell you what, if you buy it and don't like it, i'll buy it from you

that offer only goes to you robert, not everyone

rick.

now when you do like it, you owe me one

Robert, I will just rent you one of Rick's. He won't even know one is missing
                          Joey

i will know now

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            what, you don't believe mark, ben or myself

tell you what, if you buy it and don't like it, i'll buy it from you

that offer only goes to you robert, not everyone

rick.

now when you do like it, you owe me one

Robert, I will just rent you one of Rick's. He won't even know one is missing
                            Joey

i will know now

rick.
                            carefull, I might take you up on that offer. You know how it is, it's hard to teach a dog new tricks.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Rick, Doesnt the new K-39 AF have a chuck and a reverse switch? I can't find one here in the product managers office but I believe that it should be the do-all of the k-39 line.

Josh

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              the k-39 has a few different options. the newer one is the dual feed. it power feeds in and out while still spinning the cable in the same direction.

the k-39 with a locking chuck that will you can grab a stuck cable or feed the cable to very end.

the k-39 with older power feed. it runs forward to go in nad reverse to retrive. this is now a back up machine. along with the 6 others at my shop.

as far as 3 seesnakes. i have the mini in color and black and white. the full size seesnake in color and now the micro and a fiber optic on the truck. the rest of the cameras are at the shop. joey is keeping tabs on her life insurance toys

you don't need all the toys to get the job done, but you need to have all the toys to get it done when no one else can "getter dun"

time to ride shotgun one day. we'll have fun, ask adam

rick.

Comment

Working...
                              X