Tips on snaking lines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on snaking lines

Anyone have any tips on snaking lines they'd like to share? Pics would be a great addition. Here's what a cable looks like after 4 months with constant use. Never used snake oil on it, only WD-40. Doesn't look too rusted. I also sharpen my blades w/ a dremel and the chain saw sharpening bit. I feel it makes quick work of roots (see my pic in "Plumber Rick" thread) espicially when using a smaller machine (K-60). The 4th pic is what the blade looks like without sharpening.
    Attached Files
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Tips on snaking lines

Ben, you get the "Cleanest, Well Taken Care Of Cable and Blade" Award.

I clean my cables and machines, but I do not bother to sharpen my blades, I just get a new one when needed.

good pics
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I think gear junkie is full of crap LOL!

It looks like he just bought that stuff! That's awesome! When I start, I hope that I can keep my equipment that clean and I don't fall behind on cleaning up due to being too busy.

Those are some really good pictures!! What camera do you have?

I'm with Robert on just getting a new blade, unless they are easy to sharpen and don't take long.
      Last edited by HouseOfAtlas; 07-08-2007, 08:16 PM. Reason: Forgot something...
      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

ben, great choice of blades. especially the 4th one/ rotary root saw.

who gave you that suggestion

i too sharpen my blades and a dremel or bench grinder work great. cables look real good too, thanks to the out of the drum design.

stop giving these guys all the benefits of this machine.

the ebay price is going up everyday

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

i have a canon powershot a520. Keeping the cables clean only takes a second. Not hard once you get in the habit of it. I didn't post the pics to toot my own horn though. I'd really like to hear from the rest of you guys on any tips or techniques while snaking lines. It's not rocket science but tips like this help us all out.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Here is a tip, when you have a c/o (exterior or interior) after running the cable to clear the stoppage, run lots of hot water while your cable is still running in the line to help clean the line better and at the same time, clean off your cable.

Another tip- after re-installing or installing tubular drain work, fill the sink to the top and drain a few times, check for leaks. Do it a few times, no leaks, then you won't have to worry about returning for one later. K/s, fill both compartments, run disposal as you drain, if you have a leak or cracked tubular, you will find it right away
            Last edited by westcoastplumber; 07-09-2007, 03:41 PM.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

What is with you guys and your affection towards root cutters? They only give me headaches. Of course I'm usually shoving them through 40 feet of 100 year old buried cast iron then into a 150 year old clay pipe in the front yard Give me a good spearhead and away I go!

Comment

I agree with PC,I use the largest spade cutter usually 3.5" in 4"c.i. building drain that flows into 6" vit clay tile.When I come upon a section of piping that is infested with roots I break thru that section and rework it until the cable and bit run smoothly,yes the roots grow back but in my experience doing the job as I have described will last 12-18 months.Repeat customers that have the option to dig or cut the tree down.

Comment

I only use 4to 6" expandable cutter with my 1500 machine. Other wise will only use spring head auger to pull out roots, and sell job to repair or replace pipe. or some times use root-x for small area of root problem. I don't keep my cables that clean. I do use a product when doing grease lines that bring the cable back useable and smelling good.

Comment

Working...
                  X