X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Septic System Maintenance Questions

I am needing to replace some of the distribution boxes in my system. The old ones are concrete and am looking at plastic. Any thoughts
    Also I notice some sludge in the leech lines. How have you guys dealt with this? I have seen some type of retoration of the drian field. Any experience?
    Thanks

Re: Septic System Maintenance Questions

As far as D boxes go, I've only installed concrete ones. I've removed my fair share of old steel ones. I myself would install a concrete D box if I had on my own house. I've always installed plenty of plastic septic tanks. I personally think they should only be used in extreme cases though.

I don't understand what else your saying about whatever's in your drain field. I mean it's common to have build up, due to all the wastewater and bacteria it's not gonna look brand new after 20+?! years of service.
    Last edited by Aaron91; 07-16-2007, 05:58 PM.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

your septic tank should be pumped ever so often depending on the size it is,

as the wast can only be reduced so far and then it is either scum or sludge that sinks to the bottom, and it needs to be removed or if left to build up in time it will either fill or scum will become thick enough to go out to the the distribution boxes and then in to the field sooner or later plugging or reducing the efficiency of the drain field as it will fill up with organics and seal the ground from further absorption of effluent,

some basic guidelines, on maintenance and pumping, and seeing when one needs to be pumped if it has not been done in some time,

http://www.montana.edu/wwwpb/pubs/mt9403.html
      similar but more on the drain field,
      http://www.montana.edu/wwwpb/pubs/mt9401.html
      here is one from New York state basically say the same as the ones above,
      but more detailed and more explanation of the processes
      http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/tankpump.htm

some companies claim to make chemical absorption field restorers, but most universities say your wasting your money, and normally the method of restoring a drain field is to replace it,

because the reason is once the sludge has passed the tank and entered the drain field the ability to reduce it further is all ready done, by the time it has been in the tank and the anaerobic bacteria has ate it and digested it. and once you start to add that kind of organic material to the soil it does a fairly effective job of sealing the spaces between the soil particles from passing water by easily,

this may answer your question on the slime in the drain field, your probably going to have some bacteria growth in your drain filed but if it is excessive you will soon have a clogged drain field,
      http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/biomat.htm
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Kungur,
        The success in using a septic tenk and french drain are influence by many curcumstances. I do not know where you live, the maximum weekly rainfall, how absobing the siol is, open area available, number of people in the household, slope of ground,how dry is the weather and what is the green pollicy of your country (ground water contamination) Do you or your neighbour have a borehole that supply drinking water. How avaiable is sand in your area
        Here in South Africa we still have many unserviced areas where various systems are in use. I have use many systems under various weather and other conditions for over the past 40 years some more successful than others. It is possible to design a system for low maintanance
        I will help you for free with advice if you want a low maintenance system
        Pse contact me direct by e-mail neelsmarie@mweb.co.za
        Redards
        Neels

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
          As far as D boxes go, I've only installed concrete ones. I've removed my fair share of old steel ones. I myself would install a concrete D box if I had on my own house. I've always installed plenty of plastic septic tanks. I personally think they should only be used in extreme cases though.

I don't understand what else your saying about whatever's in your drain field. I mean it's common to have build up, due to all the wastewater and bacteria it's not gonna look brand new after 20+?! years of service.
          That's funny,out here I install concrete tank and plastic D boxes.

Kungur,If your leach field is contaminated with solids I would start researching getting the silt and or sludge out of there.

BHD's right get your tank pumped a.s.a.p. that will lower your sludge level in your tank protecting your field.

Comment

Just another east coast/west coast difference. Yeah, for the most part it's a concrete tank, and concrete d box, but every now and then, it's a plastic tank. Lately, it seems plastic tanks have been pushed more and more, esp. on specialty systems such as 500 gallon pump tanks, and ATU systems.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

What's ATU systems

Comment

ATU (Aerobic Treatment Unit) is similar to a septic system except that air is pumped into the system to aeration the sewage which makes it breaks down faster. It works well if maintained but many ignore the maintenance then you lose the advantage.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  ATU (Aerobic Treatment Unit) is similar to a septic system except that air is pumped into the system to aeration the sewage which makes it breaks down faster. It works well if maintained but many ignore the maintenance then you lose the advantage.

Mark
                  Almost made it through the day without learning something.

Thanks

Comment

Because my home in Utah will be above a creek which then dumps into a river just below me I will try to use an ATU system. The cost difference is about $500 per year in maintenance but the waste water is much cleaner.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                    X