X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drum Traps/Can Traps

Any of you guys use the Golden Tub Extractor Tool?

It's like a internal pipe wrench that fits on a 3/8" ratchet, it works real good.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post

It's like a internal pipe wrench that fits on a 3/8" ratchet, it works real good.
      New item added to shopping list...good tip Aaron!
      I'm assuming it's like an ID pipe wrench that tightens inside the diameter and grips?

Comment

http://www.rectorseal.com/index.php?...product_id=144IS this what you were talking about? Aaron
        sigpic"Son if you want something in this life you'll have to work for it. Now, quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post

that tool looks great aaron, only thing, when you spin it and it breaks the tube connecting the shoe to the tee, it will just spin the whole shoe around

It is on my list of things to buy, I'll let you know
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

for the tenth time. this is how to safely remove a stripped shoe

use a dremel or it's bigger brother a die grinder. install a 1'' cut off wheel and cut it from inside the tub. no vibration and if you have a good wheel with a fiberglass core, it will be off in less than 1 minute. a sawzall can chip the enamel especially if you slip.

now robert, how will you make that video if you can't find tapes either

hope you're not too wine and cheesed up when you reply

thanks for the try. you saved me a trip as i was calling to tell you i was heading your way. at 6mpg it was a big savings. also checked i have 15 tapes still. good for another month.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
              that tool looks great aaron, only thing, when you spin it and it breaks the tube connecting the shoe to the tee, it will just spin the whole shoe around

It is on my list of things to buy, I'll let you know
              LOL!
              I've had that happen once or twice.
              Then ya wind up inserting a cresent wrench or 1/2" steel pipe into the stub below with something solid to brace it to.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                for the tenth time. this is how to safely remove a stripped shoe

use a dremel or it's bigger brother a die grinder. install a 1'' cut off wheel and cut it from inside the tub. no vibration and if you have a good wheel with a fiberglass core, it will be off in less than 1 minute. a sawzall can chip the enamel especially if you slip.

now robert, how will you make that video if you can't find tapes either

hope you're not too wine and cheesed up when you reply

thanks for the try. you saved me a trip as i was calling to tell you i was heading your way. at 6mpg it was a big savings. also checked i have 15 tapes still. good for another month.

rick.
                I cut it from underneath using the sawzall I left the link too in my past post. I cut it between the tub and the shoe, where the rubber is. I remove it in approx 1-2 minutes, no problem, never tried the dremel or grinder, will have to put thought into that.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

I remember once a few years ago, I was in line at the supply house with 1/2 dozen other plumbers all talking about the correct way to plumb a house.
                  We all fully agreed on the exact same method.
                  And I'm the pope.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    I remember once a few years ago, I was in line at the supply house with 1/2 dozen other plumbers all talking about the correct way to plumb a house.
                    And I'm the pope.

HAHAHAHA, ducky, you crack me up. you bring humor to truth
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      And I'm the pope.

DISCLAIMER: The aforementioned individual is NOT the pope.

Comment

Duck- Anytime, Yes sir that is the tool I was talking about. Sometimes it turns all the piping underneath, and sometimes it doesn't. Either way, it's still a wonderful, yet expensive(just bought mine the other day at Somerville for $53) lil tool. It grips extremely well.

Da- thats the one boss.
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Very easy buddy, after you remove the old shoe, drop the new trim piece in the bottom, go under the house, take the bottom of the shoe and hold is steady an d start the first thred, when you do, keep spinning, pull it down if it slips or use a flat head screw driver to push it against the rim of the tub outlet so you can screw it on, takes some practice but once you do it, it is easy. once you get the bottom show on, the rest is cake. hope this helps, wordy, maybe I'll make a video sometime $19.95 each, any one wanna place an order?

P.S. once your installed and tied to the drain, go back later and unscrew to add the putty, the gasket is already done from the beganinning
                          Sounds good. It seems like the few times i've done them there was absolutely no room for the new shoe to turn. Also crawling under the house and back out can be such a pain in the A#$! I think i'll just continue to make my brother tag along and make him go under the house.

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
                            Sounds good. It seems like the few times i've done them there was absolutely no room for the new shoe to turn. Also crawling under the house and back out can be such a pain in the A#$! I think i'll just continue to make my brother tag along and make him go under the house.

I have been in the same situation, when I cannot turn the shoe, I will do a balancing act on the overflow and when it is hanging, run inside and stick my finger in and bracket it, the start from there and run the tee and then balance the shoe and set it, either way, it has to happen , cause I am by myself
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

I have been in the same situation, when I cannot turn the shoe, I will do a balancing act on the overflow and when it is hanging, run inside and stick my finger in and bracket it, the start from there and run the tee and then balance the shoe and set it, either way, it has to happen , cause I am by myself
                              Aaaah, sweet cynical reality!
                              Just grinning remembering some horror shows of the past...running up and down stairs a dozen times trying to figure out how to get the stupid thing to stay put so I could turn it loose above.
                              Then there's that point where it feels like the new one is starting to tighten a little too soon and you wonder "Is this thing cross threading?".

Comment

Mr ducky, there wasn't anything to grab onto in the shoe, the "things" inside the shoe were not there

I have a tool, called a dumb bell, works great, when someone hasen't already tried it before.

the sawzall that goes 20 differrent directions is the porter cable, it adjust's alot of different ways so it will fit in tight spaces and between rafters etc.
                                http://www.tylertool.com/por97tigvara.html
                                Had one,it did come in handyonce in a while,but unfortunately the tranny snapped,as I have done to a few tiger saws over the years.So now its the Dewalt $100 sawzall with the four direction head and long metal blades for spuds.And the Dewalt is much lighter

Comment

Working...
                                X