Septic Tank Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Septic Tank Advice

I bought this house about a year ago, so I really don't know much about the maint history. It still has a septic tank even though sewer lines are available. In this city, it is illegal to pump or repair the tank, you must hook into the city sewer system. I'm looking for advice, products, suggestions on how to keep it working a while longer. My neighbor is spending in excess of $9000 to change his over. I have not noticed any problems, we put nothing down the drain that isn't supposed to go there, we seldom use the disposal.

Thanks,
    Jack
    Jack

Re: Septic Tank Advice

YOU cannot have a service come out and pump and carry away and start with an empty tank

Comment

wasn't it changed over prior to your purchase a year ago?

what did the title report say? escrow co?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

It's a private contract, no escrow. Like I said, there are no probs at the moment, I just want to keep it that way. I will change it over when the money is there so I can sell the place easier later on. The house was a deal I couldn't afford to pass up. $300K (apraised at closer to 400), no down, 5.05% fixed, 30 years. Put about $5000 material and a billion or so hours of my labor, then moved in.
        Jack

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
          It's a private contract, no escrow. Like I said, there are no probs at the moment, I just want to keep it that way. I will change it over when the money is there so I can sell the place easier later on. The house was a deal I couldn't afford to pass up. $300K (apraised at closer to 400), no down, 5.05% fixed, 30 years. Put about $5000 material and a billion or so hours of my labor, then moved in.
          real good terms. i guess the owner is carrying the loan?

hope you had some legal advise on this deal

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

yes, owner contract. Papers all drawn up and legal. This deal is what kept me from moving back to the northwest for a while. Let the market come back up in a couple years, sell, and move. Lots of sweat equity.
            Jack

Comment

9 grand sounds a little steep but I haven't seen it. If the septic is in the rear yard and city sewer out front then maybe not too bad. Rick or Drtyhands will hook you up for much less i'm sure

Keep doing everything you are doing now. No disposal, limit the soap in the laundry and check those toilets for leaks.

Try to limit the number of flushes. If it's yellow be mellow; if it's brown flush it down

Comment

I have seen, but never used some of the septic tank treatments sold. Are those taboo?
                Jack

Comment

I have been told that my septic will not need ANY additives to function properly as long as I don't put anything in it to kill the bacteria (like bleach etc). Up here in northern cottage country the phrase if its yellow let it mellow refers more to the poor drainage of the weeping field since they all have solid granite below them. The best plan for you is to have someone pull the lid and check the sludge height. Do not try this alone, the methane in the tank can be powerful enough to knock you out. If your sludge level is within 18" or so of the bottom of the outlet pipe your system will not work much longer as there is not much room left before solids start heading out to the drainage bed and once that starts your system is finished. To prolong the life the best solution for you would be to remove the disposal, food waste adds huge amounts of solid waste to the tank, start a compost pile instead.

Comment

I posted a few links the other day in another post,
                    http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12329

the normal action of the anaerobic bacteria will do as much as can be done to the organics in the tank reducing them to sludge and scum, and pumping is the normal maintenance that is needed, and pumping before the sludge or scum build up gets to the place it is carried out into the drain field,

most universities and people who study the systems say that most additives are not helpfull to the system,

an anaerobic system has a lot more maintenance, as it has a air pump and so forth to keep running to keep the bacteria alive,

antibacterial soaps have been noted as extremely hard on septic systems,

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/water/az1258.pdf
                    http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/state/...fm?NewsID=7113
                    http://septic.umn.edu/Homeowner/Fact...intenance.html
                    http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=19440
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                    X