Question about a K-3800

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a K-3800

I've been lurking around this forum for a few months now and have really enjoyed learning from everyone here. You guys are a trip.

I have a K-3800 machine in my shop that has a newly rebuilt motor and works wonderfully except that the drum seems to slip when the machine is adjusted into a fully horizontal position. From looking at the parts explosion it appears that the Drive Lug on the drum isn't making positive contact with the Output Shaft Assembly on the motor. If I adjust the machine to a 45 degree angle everything contacts appropriately and the machine works great. Have any of you experienced this? We have many other Ridgid drain cleaners (which all work wonderfully) but this is the only 3800 I have ever messed with so I wasn't sure if its just something we'll have to deal with or if I need to be replacing some parts.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Question about a K-3800

sorry i can't tell you since i don't own a 3800. glad you have the 3800 over the 380.

ridgid customer service should be able to help you. also print up a parts break down from this site and they will help you out.

have you ever tried the k-60?

you might not go back to drum?

join the fun and you can be part of the trip

welcome and have fun.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Oh yeah, I've seen that you are a fan of the K-60. We have 3 of them and when I was still running calls that was almost all I would use. I was also one of the few willing to do rooftop access since it was a snap to carry what I needed up and down a ladder and not have to try to haul a drum machine up. Since moving into management I have converted several of our older guys over to using the 60's and after the initial cussing and complaining (Plumbers deal so well with change) they realized what a back saver these machines are and how well they work. Getting the old boys on board has brought some of the other ones around and now they are asking for their own K-60.

As for this 3800, I think we inherited it from Moses when he left Egypt and one of my older plumber loves it and wants it to work forever so I'm going to tinker with it a bit more and see if I can get it back into fighting shape.

Thanks for the welcome and I do intend to stick around and be a part of the fun.

Comment

Are the 2 lugs on the drive shaft and the drum itself worn? Is the locking clamp on the front loose and possibly allowing the drum to come foward?

I also own a 3800, it stays at the house now. I only carry the 60 and a K-40(don't beat me up Rick) in my truck now. Couldn't be happier. I have wondered; why aren't bigger heads available for the 3800?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Are the 2 lugs on the drive shaft and the drum itself worn? Is the locking clamp on the front loose and possibly allowing the drum to come foward?

I also own a 3800, it stays at the house now. I only carry the 60 and a K-40(don't beat me up Rick) in my truck now. Couldn't be happier. I have wondered; why aren't bigger heads available for the 3800?
          it's ok ben, that's why you call me with questions.

when the 40 breaks down, you know what my answer will be.

it makes a good boat anchor

i love the k-39 and it runs the same cables as the 40 for 1/3 the price and it doesn't break and has a double auto feed.

when i visit, i'll bring my 39 and we'll play with both.

glad we agree on the 60 or i would attempt to beat you up

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post

The lugs and the slots on the drum seem to be great, the locking clamp has some play in it and it is sliding forward, I just can't figure out if that is common or if I can replace something and fix it for good. Like I said, if I turn it at a slight upward angle, no slipping. Oh well, maybe its time to retire it, even though I just spent the cash to get the motor working right.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X