X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use to cut tree roots?

Im bored, so figured i would ask...I see there are alot of westcoasters on here. Around here (East coast) we see alot of curb traps, fresh air inlets in the middle of the lawns or cleanouts on the lawns.. Same thing out there???We see alot of tree root clogs out here, obvisously our #1 blockages, tampons/baby wipes being #2.We offer a program strictly for the removal of roots. We will cut the roots with a cable, then video inspect the line. Alot of Terra Cotta pipe in this area, so usually you run into roots in every joint. After video inspection, we will keep the camera in the line, put the water jetter in there with a warthog nozzle. Put the nozzle up to the joint and keep the camera about a ft. away from the nozzle. Watch the warthog do its job. After all removal of roots in the joint, we go to the next. After cutting all the roots out of the system we then apply 2-4 pds or Root X in the line. We will give a 1yr warranty on the line after the everything is said and done, as long is there are no major defects. Price to do that job, total $695. The warthog on the jetter for cutting roots is the best way IMO of cutting out roots. It has worked everytime..sometimes time consuming, but well worth it.After the inital root-elimination, we will sign the customer up for us to come out once a yr to install root x again to maintain the line, with a video inspection to insure everything is working.How do you guys do it out there...or even around here?Greg
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Re: What do you use to cut tree roots?

true, a video inspection is the best and only way to truly know the condition of the pipe. unfortunately the customer is not going to spend $695.00 for this service every time.

the warthog with the right jetter connected is the best for roots, grease, mud.

i just did a cleaning of a 36 unit complex with 7- 4'' and 6'' clean outs. i used a 1.25'' sectional machine (general) sorry ridgid.

the cutter i used was a 4'' x 6'' expanding cutter. since i have never snaked this complex. i did suggest to video it and map it out. they do preventative once a year. unfortunately they didn't want to pay the cost of videoing the lines.

well with 5 hours of snaking and dragging 110' of sectional cable around the pool patios, i was finished.

jetting would have been easier, but access for my trailer jetter was too awkward.

final cost was under the $695. and that was doing all 7 lines. my next bid is to do all 36 units 4'' clean outs. on that project i will use my k-60 with a sawtooth cutter to run the 40' into the mains.

my spiral sawtooth cutter is the cutter of choice for roots. i like the spiral design and the double cut row of teeth on both sides of the cutter. this helps in both feeding and retrieval cutting in a clockwise rotation.

for years i would use root-x and it typically would work fine.

rick.
    Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      true, a video inspection is the best and only way to truly know the condition of the pipe. unfortunately the customer is not going to spend $695.00 for this service every time.

the warthog with the right jetter connected is the best for roots, grease, mud.

i just did a cleaning of a 36 unit complex with 7- 4'' and 6'' clean outs. i used a 1.25'' sectional machine (general) sorry ridgid.

the cutter i used was a 4'' x 6'' expanding cutter. since i have never snaked this complex. i did suggest to video it and map it out. they do preventative once a year. unfortunately they didn't want to pay the cost of videoing the lines.

well with 5 hours of snaking and dragging 110' of sectional cable around the pool patios, i was finished.

jetting would have been easier, but access for my trailer jetter was too awkward.

final cost was under the $695. and that was doing all 7 lines. my next bid is to do all 36 units 4'' clean outs. on that project i will use my k-60 with a sawtooth cutter to run the 40' into the mains.

my spiral sawtooth cutter is the cutter of choice for roots. i like the spiral design and the double cut row of teeth on both sides of the cutter. this helps in both feeding and retrieval cutting in a clockwise rotation.

for years i would use root-x and it typically would work fine.

rick.
      on your spiral sawtooth...have you ever gotten stuck coming back on the line, or stuck in an offset joint?? i was always hesitant on using spiral cutters, on the fear that it might get stuck. I watched a municipal sewer company get stuck big time, and thats what caused my fear. Just didnt want the headache of it. I use to use a dual eel for cutting roots..i belive any sectional machine is best (other then jetting) cause you can bend the leader more and much more powerfull. Sounds like you get into some pretty big work out there, that is good....always nice to have an apt. complex under your belt, even better when you have them for preventive maint.Greg
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

only times i've had a real issue is when i use the corkscrew retriever to grab things. that will wind itself out of a bad joint.

if i need to use it, i will camera the line to see if it's safe. also i will use the camera to help hook a cable or a chain.

i have broken off a cutter blade. but it's just like any other blade. there is a wear and tear factor.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          only times i've had a real issue is when i use the corkscrew retriever to grab things. that will wind itself out of a bad joint.

if i need to use it, i will camera the line to see if it's safe. also i will use the camera to help hook a cable or a chain.

i have broken off a cutter blade. but it's just like any other blade. there is a wear and tear factor.

rick.
          I gotcha, how about when you use your retriever..do you use it on the machine, or do you manually put the cable in...I will usually have the camera in the line, then feed the sectional with a retriever up the line to the object, then use vice grips on the cable and manually twist the cable onto the object and retrieve that way...(knock on wood) has worked everytime..Greg

Comment

for cutting roots I use the Ridgid 3 inch Double Cutter in a 4" main on my K-7500
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

1st time in I use a double headed root cutter.

Next time in I use a backhoe.

If it has roots it's broken.

If it's broken it needs to be replaced.

Comment

For most jobs I use a funnel head and rip out as much roots as I can. Then offer to use root-X. to treat the line. I also try an lead them to replace sewer pipe or make a pipe repair to deal with the root probem.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

If it's broken it needs to be replaced.
                  Or I`ll be back

I like the broken sewers They makes me money

you know the old saying

Pay me now or pay me latter but you ARE gonna be paying me
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Had an old timer tell me to wait 7-14 days after clearing a line to use the root kill.Is Root-X the foaming?

Comment

I use a 3" root cutter then camera to to see if pipe is off set or damaged then send in a 4" root cutter if I can.
                      Has anyone used the jetter heads for roots on e-bay? one has a chain the other has wire rope. They look like (the wire rope one anyway) they'd work but at $300-$400 I'm not too quick to try.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I use the 3" or 4" 1/2 blade, I don't like the double blade because it can get stuck alot easier, forcing the customer into something they may not be able to afford. When I used to run a hydro jetter, I used to use the root rat, the only problem is if the pipe is in any way cracked or broken, it will go right through the problem.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          Had an old timer tell me to wait 7-14 days after clearing a line to use the root kill.Is Root-X the foaming?

with any kind of roots the key issue is to treat it before it saps over. the sap is like a scab. if it saps over than you need to wait 6 weeks for the sap to break off and the roots to start growing again. usually if you treat for roots within 2 hours, you're ok. problem is you can't use the sewer for 4-6 hours after treatment.

so you have a choice. treat for roots immediately, or wait 6 weeks when it is more convenient.

root-x is the foaming root killer.
                          copper sulfate is the blue crystals.

any other questions we can discuss over dinner tomorrow

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                            I use a 3" root cutter then camera to to see if pipe is off set or damaged then send in a 4" root cutter if I can.
                            Has anyone used the jetter heads for roots on e-bay? one has a chain the other has wire rope. They look like (the wire rope one anyway) they'd work but at $300-$400 I'm not too quick to try.
                            gene wait till you buy a warthog nozzle. approx. cost is $1000. but it is the best nozzle for any kind of cleaning. typically this nozzle require a trailer jetter. they make 4 different sizes. for gpm and psi.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              I use the 3" or 4" 1/2 blade, I don't like the double blade because it can get stuck a lot easier, forcing the customer into something they may not be able to afford. When I used to run a hydro jetter, I used to use the root rat, the only problem is if the pipe is in any way cracked or broken, it will go right through the problem.
                              robert, a single cutter is my last choice if nothing else gets through. truthfully a single cutter has a better chance of getting stuck than a double cutter. if you drill a hole in the stoppage, the root ball will have a tuff time coming back through that hole.

i used to use a 3 blade cutter, but the blades always seem to come off easy.

i prefer the spiral root saw as it has yet to fail me. also i like a 4'' x 3'' offset cutter for 4'' pipe with offsets.

a single cutter just doesn't cut it for me

comments mrs. westcoast

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X