To ROOTX or not to ROOTX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To ROOTX or not to ROOTX

I use Rootx, with mixed results. Any time I have roots, I camera to determine the extent of them. I then snake to cut them out, and rootx afterward. I get about 2 years out of a treatment (short growing season here). I have tried jetting with a warthog at 5.5 gpm at 3000 psi; this gives me very clean roots. What nozzle are you using at what psi/flow that removes the roots? When I blade them, I leave as much as 1/2" behind all around the pipe with the biggest blade I can get in. I'd love to have a way to rip roots with the jetter, especially if it will remove that last 1/2" of mat I can't get to with a cable. The rootx I do mostly as a regrowth inhibitor. Are you jetting preventatively during that 5-10 years?
    -Alex
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

And to 'ihateroots',

I think an annual treatment of rootx (assuming you can get it... as far as I know they only sell to drain cleaning professionals) surely can't hurt and will likely keep your problem at bay if you apply it per diections. I'd say you have to balance the cost of the rootx agaist the cost of your drain cleaner coming out again. I tell every customer I have with roots to call me back for rootx every 1-2 years. With one notable exception who calls me every fall, no-one ever does. They call me back at 3-5 years when they plug up again.
      -Alex
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        I have tried jetting with a warthog at 5.5 gpm at 3000 psi; this gives me very clean roots. -Alex
        Don't have a warthog and am not the expert on jetting but don't warthog nozzles require 12gpm at a minimum?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ihateroots View Post
          Hi Plumber Rick.

I just had my sewer drains rotted out today because of tree roots. They basically dug up a part of my front yard, took out about 4 feet of the old clay sewer drain and replaced it with PVC that had a "T" joint and then ran about a 6 foot piece up to the surface so they could rot out the drain today and if need in the future. My question is if I use root-x once a year could this "theoretically" prevent me from having to have a company come out and rot the pipes again.

I am not a plumber so I hope I explained it in a way that you could understand.

Thanks
          if you have roots still in the line, that are alive, then yes. root-x should be able to control the future growth of roots. you need to know the size, length of your sewer line. this is important as you need to know how much to apply. too much is ok, just expensive. too little is a waste of money. and if you don't have roots, then it's also a waste of money.

have you had your line videoed to locate the problem and repair. were there more roots downstream?

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

And to 'ihateroots',

I think an annual treatment of rootx (assuming you can get it... as far as I know they only sell to drain cleaning professionals) surely can't hurt and will likely keep your problem at bay if you apply it per diections. I'd say you have to balance the cost of the rootx agaist the cost of your drain cleaner coming out again. I tell every customer I have with roots to call me back for rootx every 1-2 years. With one notable exception who calls me every fall, no-one ever does. They call me back at 3-5 years when they plug up again.
            -Alex

Thats exactly why you have clean roots...The warthog needs at least 12 GPM and flow around btwn 3500-4000PSI to be affective..I use, and i know Rick used it to cut roots....It has never let me down....I will use the camera at the same time and go from joint to joint to remove roots....Never fails...Once im done jetting, i then install the Root X right after just as a precaution for roots in the joints you cant see with your eyes

Greg
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Don't have a warthog and am not the expert on jetting but don't warthog nozzles require 12gpm at a minimum?
              I stand corrected. The website says the 3/8" can go as low as 5 gpm.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Rick thanks-

Yes they videoed the line and there were more roots downstream. They located and cleaned all the affected areas. They told me that depending on how quick the roots grow back that I would probably have to have the line rotted once a year. If I can use Root-X to buy me an extra year or two that would be better than dropping $300 a year to have the sewers cleaned out if they don't need it. But I would rather spend the money than have the sewer back up into our laundry room again, that’s fun .

Is there a way of checking on the root growth other than the video solution? I guess i will try the root-x and maybe have someone come back in a year to video the sewer and check the progress. Is that something that you would recommend?

Thanks again for your help

Comment

Originally posted by ihateroots View Post
                  Rick thanks-

Yes they videoed the line and there were more roots downstream. They located and cleaned all the affected areas. They told me that depending on how quick the roots grow back that I would probably have to have the line rotted once a year. If I can use Root-X to buy me an extra year or two that would be better than dropping $300 a year to have the sewers cleaned out if they don't need it. But I would rather spend the money than have the sewer back up into our laundry room again, that’s fun .

Is there a way of checking on the root growth other than the video solution? I guess i will try the root-x and maybe have someone come back in a year to video the sewer and check the progress. Is that something that you would recommend?

Thanks again for your help
                  you need to wait at least 6 weeks once you snake the line to install root x. unless you install it within 2 hours of cutting.

re videoing the line in a year is a waste of money, unless they do it for free. i would try the root x every year and wait till you have symptoms of a slow drain.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Gene, Robert, Greg, Rick,

I would like to recap, then ask some questions.

- Gene cables roots, and asks whether Rootx is effective in removing the last bit of roots left after doing so
                    - Robert prefers jetting to remove roots, and doesn't bother with rootx; in his experience, a good jet job is sufficient for 5+ yrs
                    - Greg will either jet or cable to remove roots, and likes rootx
                    - Rick typically jets to remove roots, and feels Rootx is important, possibly crucial, to prevent regrowth
                    - all seem to agree that just dumping the Rootx in the line w/o first removing as much roots as possible is ineffective
                    - Rick advocates annual Rootx as a preventative, Robert thinks it's wasted effort, Gene's question was not directed at preventative per se, and Greg has yet to specifically weigh in on the preventative side of the debate

Vastly simplified, I know, but more or less correct?

Questions;

- No one has answered Gene's original question.... will Rootx remove, not just kill but remove the last bit of roots left after taking a cable to them?

- Those of you who jet for roots, what nozzle are you using, at what flow/gpm, in a 4" clay line? Do you find you must watch with camera and hold the nozzle at each joint until you see the roots gone, or can you do a couple nice slow passes the length of it and feel confident?

- My 3/8 Warthog has been set up by Stone Age specifically to run at 5gpm, I then push it a little to 5.5gpm... it has been excellent and is my tool of choice in any 3" or 4" line, except for roots. You seem to be having much better success with a jetter to remove roots than I am. Do you think the difference is the larger flows you are using? Are you also using the 3/8 Warthog or a different nozzle? I have long wanted a 20gpm machine but haven't been able to justify it for the few frozen culverts and city mains I get called for each year. If I can make a quick clean effective job of jetting roots with it, that may tip me over the edge.

-Alex

Comment

Gene, Robert, Greg, Rick,

I would like to recap, then ask some questions.

- Gene cables roots, and asks whether Rootx is effective in removing the last bit of roots left after doing so
                      - Robert prefers jetting to remove roots, and doesn't bother with rootx; in his experience, a good jet job is sufficient for 5+ yrs
                      - Greg will either jet or cable to remove roots, and likes rootx
                      - Rick typically jets to remove roots, and feels Rootx is important, possibly crucial, to prevent regrowth
                      - all seem to agree that just dumping the Rootx in the line w/o first removing as much roots as possible is ineffective
                      - Rick advocates annual Rootx as a preventative, Robert thinks it's wasted effort, Gene's question was not directed at preventative per se, and Greg has yet to specifically weigh in on the preventative side of the debate

Vastly simplified, I know, but more or less correct?

Questions;

- No one has answered Gene's original question.... will Rootx remove, not just kill but remove the last bit of roots left after taking a cable to them?

- Those of you who jet for roots, what nozzle are you using, at what flow/gpm, in a 4" clay line? Do you find you must watch with camera and hold the nozzle at each joint until you see the roots gone, or can you do a couple nice slow passes the length of it and feel confident?

- My 3/8 Warthog has been set up by Stone Age specifically to run at 5gpm, I then push it a little to 5.5gpm... it has been excellent and is my tool of choice in any 3" or 4" line, except for roots. You seem to be having much better success with a jetter to remove roots than I am. Do you think the difference is the larger flows you are using? Are you also using the 3/8 Warthog or a different nozzle? I have long wanted a 20gpm machine but haven't been able to justify it for the few frozen culverts and city mains I get called for each year. If I can make a quick clean effective job of jetting roots with it, that may tip me over the edge.

-Alex

Alex....I will use Root X right after i jet a line to remove roots, or cable the line open....Once i use the Root X, i like to give the customer the option of once a year to snake and Root X the line to keep the tree roots from growing back....I like Root X, i have been using it for years...Only once have i root x'd a line that it backed up with roots again before the year warranty expired and that is because the customer denied the video inspection...

Greg
                      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Been using RootX for years

And never a problem.....even though it knocks me out of job.

I have a list of customers that I do the follow-ups of the annual treatments.

Usually when I've been to someone's house more than a couple times is when I can upsell and convince they need it.

The history of the drains I've treated with this product has been good testament to its use.

It's the same stuff they use.....just in a different form to control growth on the glass of large aquariums....just in a different equation.

These guys that sell it on ebay? Still can't figure out how they can sell it so darn cheap and make a buck. I know what the supply houses are buying it for and these guys are charging less than that. Stolen? Who knows.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Out here we cable the roots out then try to upsell the rootx to the customer... I have used it and to my understanding what it does to any remaining roots if any will kind of crystalize and then snap off if it comes in contact with anything. We apply it while on site, but we will not put it in past 3 weeks of cableing. We extend our gurantee on 3" stacks- from 30 days to a year and on 4" and above from 6 months to a year also. I stand by it. I have also heard that if you treat the same line 3 years in a row, you can go down to every other year... but I have not read anything to confirm it. You stand a better chance with the rootx than coppersulfate or rock salt. When I hear a customer say I have been putting rock salt down my stack once a month for the past 5 years I just cringe never good things comeing after that.

Billytwohatz

run it only once you will be back to run it again

Comment

It's funny this thread has been dug up. On Monday I bought 4lbs of rootX to do a test on a customers line. He just bought the home. A few months later he has my competition snake out a blockage of roots. Three months later he calls me for same thing. That was six months ago and I had to go again just the other day to remove roots. With the camera I know I cleaned the line good the first time. CRAZY ROOTS.
                            Easy access to basement so I wont have to tromp all through the house and disturb everyone.
                            He agreed to pay for the rootX and I will apply at no charge. Then I will camera once a month(free) to see the results.
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

The company I work for did that for a municipality that had a lateral program once. The house was a problem house and we cabled it out applied rootx, went back at 30/60/90 days, had to recable reapplied rootx again went back at 6 months from the second aplication, and again at a year and no major growth to be reported at those last two times. I think that first thing to consider is where are you cableing from, 3" cast Iron c/o in the basement or a 6" clay or pvc c/o in the yard, The 3" you are probably going back, but with a c/o the same size as the line going out you are not going to have any worries.

Billytwohatz

run it only once and you will be back to run it again

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                                It's funny this thread has been dug up. On Monday I bought 4lbs of rootX to do a test on a customers line. He just bought the home. A few months later he has my competition snake out a blockage of roots. Three months later he calls me for same thing. That was six months ago and I had to go again just the other day to remove roots. With the camera I know I cleaned the line good the first time. CRAZY ROOTS.
                                Easy access to basement so I wont have to tromp all through the house and disturb everyone.
                                He agreed to pay for the rootX and I will apply at no charge. Then I will camera once a month(free) to see the results.
                                Six months and they are back... wow. I'd be interested to hear about what you find on your monthly vids.

Comment

Working...
                                X