X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To ROOTX or not to ROOTX

I've been thinking about trying rootx but I'm wondering if the product is as good as the Co claims.
    I use my 3" root cutter to open the line then camera before putting in a 4" to see what condition the line is in. With all the clay lines around here more often then not, I wont put the 4" in for fear of doing damage.
    The 3" pretty much just pokes a hole in the root mass but the 4" does a great job getting close to the walls of the pipe but with the 4" it doesn't take much of an off set to do some damage.
    So in spots that I can only use a 3" the line is left with a fair amount of roots That I'd (and I'm sure the homeowner) would like to remove.
    So my question is , how good is rootx at not just killing but REMOVING these root masses and how long does it really take to see a noticeable difference?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: To ROOTX or not to ROOTX

You have to cut out as much roots as you can...Then pretty much right after your done cabling or jetting the line to remove roots, you want to install the rootx....I tried putting some in a line acouple yrs ago just as a preventive, without using a machine, and in 4 months called out to same property for a clog and it was roots...I have found that once you cut them, install the rootx, and keep up with it yearly, it seems to work..Knock on wood i havent had to install a rootx for free...yet..... I like it and use it alot..Greg
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

rootx works as long as you and the customer follows the proper procedures. the most important is to properly cut the roots, install the root-x within 2 hours of cutting or 6 weeks later. install the proper amount of root-x or more, and not use the water for 6 hours afterward.

roots will absorb the chemical and will start to die. the decomposing process will take months to wash away.

just like if you pulled out roots from your snake cable. the cut roots will take months to eventually decompose and break down. that's why the root-x guarantees the line will stay free of a root stoppage caused by "living roots".

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I would take a good hydro jetter any day, way before I dump something down the drain, expect it to find the root and kill it. With a jetter and a camera, I can buy a customer 5-10 years. Once again, it is a matter of cost, and for some reason, the customer will always choose the cheapest way, not the best way.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

problem is robert, that even if you clean the line spotless with a jetter. the roots are already established and will grow back. just like a bonzi tree. bigger and stronger. root-x will actually kill the roots and stunt their regrowth.

rick.

now root-x inside of a jetter will work wonders. my idea

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            problem is robert, that even if you clean the line spotless with a jetter. the roots are already established and will grow back. just like a bonzi tree. bigger and stronger. root-x will actually kill the roots and stunt their regrowth.

rick.

now root-x inside of a jetter will work wonders. my idea

rick.

Well if we are looking for a permanent repair, line or replace/repair the sewer then, I was talking about giving the customer 5-10 years, on root based stoppages, more then root-x can offer.

I have personally ran cameras in sewers who get a good jetting every 5 or so years, they look great.

Have you ran a camera in a sewer you used root-x on 5-10 years ago??
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
              Well if we are looking for a permanent repair, line or replace/repair the sewer then, I was talking about giving the customer 5-10 years, on root based stoppages, more then root-x can offer.

I have personally ran cameras in sewers who get a good jetting every 5 or so years, they look great.

Have you ran a camera in a sewer you used root-x on 5-10 years ago??
              of course i have run cameras into lines with rootx treatment.

considering you have been doing plumbing for less than 10 years, i find that statement hard to swallow.

once you have roots, you will always have roots. jetting is a very good way of cutting roots with the right jetter and nozzle selection. a camera is the only way to determine the condition of the pipe. when i camera a line and clean it, i do a before and after video of the line. i can honestly tell you that a line with roots will regrow roots within a year. the 2 big root growing times of the year are early spring and fall.

depending on how aggressive the roots are and how large the root ends are, will determine how fast the line will regrow and eventually plug up. 5 years is a long time for roots to grow and not plug up if nothing at all is done.

root-x or any other root killer properly applied will kill roots and prolong the inevitable stoppage. root x is a foaming product, while copper sulfate is a product that sits on the bottom of the pipe and will only work if the roots are at the bottom of the pipe at time of treatment.

not knocking you robert, but 5-10 years on a root stoppage is hard to swallow. since i keep computer records of all my jobs, i can tell you that this is not the norm, but the exception.

once you have roots, you always have roots. unless you repair, reline, or replace the line.

questions

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

of course i have run cameras into lines with rootx treatment.

considering you have been doing plumbing for less than 10 years, i find that statement hard to swallow.

once you have roots, you will always have roots. jetting is a very good way of cutting roots with the right jetter and nozzle selection. a camera is the only way to determine the condition of the pipe. when i camera a line and clean it, i do a before and after video of the line. i can honestly tell you that a line with roots will regrow roots within a year. the 2 big root growing times of the year are early spring and fall.

depending on how aggressive the roots are and how large the root ends are, will determine how fast the line will regrow and eventually plug up. 5 years is a long time for roots to grow and not plug up if nothing at all is done.

root-x or any other root killer properly applied will kill roots and prolong the inevitable stoppage. root x is a foaming product, while copper sulfate is a product that sits on the bottom of the pipe and will only work if the roots are at the bottom of the pipe at time of treatment.

not knocking you robert, but 5-10 years on a root stoppage is hard to swallow. since i keep computer records of all my jobs, i can tell you that this is not the norm, but the exception.

once you have roots, you always have roots. unless you repair, reline, or replace the line.

questions

rick.

Rick, we all know that it takes approx 30-40 years for 70% of the sewers to experience root stoppages. I have ran into 1 sooner, that was because the sewer was improperly installed using ABS and the fitting was cracked.

Do not pull the age card ricky on the experience

If you hydro jett the sewer clean, while running a camera to inspect the line, I guarantee you can get 5 ++++ years until you have another root based stoppage.

Atleast one thing we can agree on is what I had said in my second post, to get rid of the roots you need to either line, repair or replace sewer.

ROBERT
                Last edited by mrs. westcoast; 08-05-2007, 11:23 PM. Reason: ROBERT REPLIED TO THIS

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post

If you hydro jett the sewer clean, while running a camera to inspect the line, I guarantee you can get 5 ++++ years until you have another root based stoppage.

ROBERT
                  robert, i hope you don't put that in writing, or you will be doing a lot of free calls in those 5 years.

if you do put it writing, you better charge 5 times the going rate to cover your return visits.

i can tell you that i have the best root nozzle that you can buy, a warthog. and there is no way i would expect a line not to plug up in 5 years, even with proper jetting and camering to boot.

sure i will get more than a year, but 5 is not realistic with all the ficus i run into. even the local cities will plug up if not maintained.

i have a building that i use to do 2 times a year. the management wants me to do it every month. the city has to clean their main at least 2 times a year too.

every root will regrow. expecting the roots to not plug a 4'' line in 5 years is a real gamble. if you want to guarantee it. you will be the only one that i know of to offer this service.

who knows you might get rich, or you might go bust

my advise, don't do it.

mark, robert needs some help

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Hmmmmmmm, ok rick, we will agree to disagree, I don't warranty anything for past a year. Anything past a year is a manufacturers warranty.

Good luck ricky trying to see out of the box buddy

again, we will agree to disagree
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

By the way, your Warthog nozzel is also called a Root Rat by US Jetter Company, I have used them all the time
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Hmmmmmmm, ok rick, we will agree to disagree, I don't warranty anything for past a year. Anything past a year is a manufacturers warranty.

Good luck ricky trying to see out of the box buddy

again, we will agree to disagree
                        robert you might not know it, but your remodel is technically a 10 year warranty.

not disagreeing totally. just questioning your #'s.

i have written proof with videos that sewers with root issues do not last 5-10 years without cleaning. now at my own personal house, i have roots, but never a stoppage. every couple of years i test out a new piece of equipment in my 4'' cleanout and will pull back roots every time. have i stopped up? no, but that's because i catch it in time and there are only 2 of us here. not much use like a house full of kids.

remember that the roots don't technically stop up the line it's the waste and paper that catch on the roots that cause the stoppage. the roots just cause the paper to not flow.

buy yourself a jetter and advertise a 5 year warranty. believe me you will have more work than you can handle. just make sure you get out of town in 2 years and never come back

in fact i will rent you mine to get you started. it even has a wireless remote so you can do it yourself. i'll even give you some referrals to get you started, but don't say i didn't tell you so.

5 years no, 2 years yes

don't press your luck

call me to discuss further, unless you want the free advertising here with a 5 year guarantee

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

By the way, your Warthog nozzle is also called a Root Rat by US Jetter Company, I have used them all the time
                          2 totally different nozzles. warthog is all water cutting with a slow controlled rotation.

root rat has a chain or cable whip to do the cutting. the problem is the chain or cutter has to contact the entire pipe to clean it throughly. also the chain will have a tendency to damage pipe with the chain flailing. water can damage pipe too, but at 4000# it is minimal. go to the warthog site for real photos of the the testing of different pipes, with psi, gpm, and material removed.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

robert you might not know it, but your remodel is technically a 10 year warranty.

not disagreeing totally. just questioning your #'s.

i have written proof with videos that sewers with root issues do not last 5-10 years without cleaning. now at my own personal house, i have roots, but never a stoppage. every couple of years i test out a new piece of equipment in my 4'' cleanout and will pull back roots every time. have i stopped up? no, but that's because i catch it in time and there are only 2 of us here. not much use like a house full of kids.

remember that the roots don't technically stop up the line it's the waste and paper that catch on the roots that cause the stoppage. the roots just cause the paper to not flow.

buy yourself a jetter and advertise a 5 year warranty. believe me you will have more work than you can handle. just make sure you get out of town in 2 years and never come back

in fact i will rent you mine to get you started. it even has a wireless remote so you can do it yourself. i'll even give you some referrals to get you started, but don't say i didn't tell you so.

5 years no, 2 years yes

don't press your luck

call me to discuss further, unless you want the free advertising here with a 5 year guarantee

rick.
                            The 10 year warranty you are refering to is the Latent Warrenty on structual work.

As far as the roots not stopping the line, geeze rick, we weren't getting elementary here, of course the waste and paper catch the roots to stop the line up

I used a jetter with a wirless remote and a wireless foot pedal, no big deal

If you read carefully, I was never giving a 5 year warranty, I said I have cleared lines and went to re-camera them, little root growth, not enought to cause a stoppage. The customers were on a once a year camera program at a reduced rate to inspect their sewer line to prevent problems. Mostly apartments and rental units.

For the record, I don't warranty any stoppage, unless it's a jetter, then it's a year. I never said I warranty for 5 years, I said I have run cameras in sewers on the program.

If Rick dosen't agree with it, it must be wrong
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Robert,
                              It looks a little pink back there.I better get the ALOE for ya

Comment

Working...
                              X