Ever get sick from drain cleaning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ever get sick from drain cleaning?

Funny, i've been doing drain cleaning for over twenty years now and I don't think i've every gotten sick from it.

Comment

BOB D,
      I for one have no problem with your safety reminders. I think we all have a tendency to become a bit complacent in whatever it is we do and, your "obsession" servers as a reminder that even though we never see it happen, it can and does happen.
      Who knows, maybe someone will read your post tonight and realize that they have been slacking off in the safety goggles area and in the morning decide to take the extra couple of seconds to put them on and end up saving their eye sight.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I have had all my hep shots and tetanus shots, I used to do alot of work in a hospital, replacing cast iron drains in a 2 foot crawl space between floors, confined space.

Very dirty stuff, good latex and gloves over, I was once working in an area and we told the nurse not to use the sink, she had a patient in the room above, we had to shut her down for approx and hour, she didn't listen and we had the drain cut open.

she dumped some nasty stuff down, after many attempts to get her to stop, I put a bucket underneath, caught some of the nasty, went up to the next floor and threatend next time it happened I was going to dump it all over her floor and let her clean it up. Pissed me off to say the least
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
          I have had all my hep shots and tetanus shots, I used to do alot of work in a hospital, replacing cast iron drains in a 2 foot crawl space between floors, confined space.

Very dirty stuff, good latex and gloves over, I was once working in an area and we told the nurse not to use the sink, she had a patient in the room above, we had to shut her down for approx and hour, she didn't listen and we had the drain cut open.

she dumped some nasty stuff down, after many attempts to get her to stop, I put a bucket underneath, caught some of the nasty, went up to the next floor and threatend next time it happened I was going to dump it all over her floor and let her clean it up. Pissed me off to say the least
          Thats horrible. Bet if it was her house, she wouldnt have been dumping anything...
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Nope not me "YET"
            I use latex gloves inside my work gloves and so on. So far so good and I get in to some nasty $hit if you know what I mean
            Might be the 32oz Wellers/Coke shots I take from time to time
            Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 08-10-2007, 02:54 AM.
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Bob, I think your "safety nut Bob" comments are great. I get complacent from time to time as I'm sure we all do. Your reminders keep safety on my mind. Thanks.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Bob, I think your "safety nut Bob" comments are great. I get complacent from time to time as I'm sure we all do. Your reminders keep safety on my mind. Thanks.
                Can never not be enough safety talk...
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

No, I never have, but then again, I am a bit anal about the whole thing.

Next time you take a crap, think about this:

There are 301,139,947 people in the US. if each of them takes one crap per day, that is a HUGE amount of crap. A good percentage of those folks are sick, maybe bleeding internally or from hemmorhoids, certainly hacking up a lugie or two into the toilet. Yes, that is what is in the pipes, lining the pipes and backed up in the pipes.

Make you sick, yeah, just thinking about it makes you sick.

Comment

Guys
                    What shots do you recommend to prevent all of the above happening as I have a nasty habit some tmes of biting my nails(hahahahaha)
                    Cheers
                    Greg

Comment

never bite your nails or pick your nose

Comment

..i know this drain-guy who is approx 55 years old and he NEVER uses gloves while operating his electric sewer machines!!!..you guess it, his hands are as rough as 10 year old tires!!..he says gloves prevent him from "feeling" the stoppage on the cable....says hes been doing it like that for over 30 years......oh well, i buy new glove probally every 3 weeks.

...also one got bitten by about 15 mosquitoes while unstopping a k/sink drain with a manual cable when i was about 13 years old working with my father...i was trying to "tough-it-out" and show my father that i was TOUGH!!!..lol...my mother had to soak me in water and alcohol when i got home and she cursed out daddy(~:....talk about west nile!!!!...he said i was a VIKING!!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I use latex for everything, it is a habit, I get out of my van, go to the back, grab latex and a flashlight, walk to the customers door.

I use latex and either ugly gloves or the home depot 2.00 gloves when I run cable.

Gotta be safe and stay clean
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

there are too many wierd things around these days. i wont get out of my truck without my mechanics gloves on. not at a house or wholesaler.
                            how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Well I got sick from drain cleaning
                              I have gastro-enteritis and it sucks big time. I`m doing better now but that last 7 days have been hell!

What are the symptoms of viral gastro-enteritis?

The main symptoms of viral gastroenteritis are watery diarrhea and vomiting. The affected person may also have headache, fever, and abdominal cramps ("stomach ache"). In general, the symptoms begin 1 to 2 days following infection with a virus that causes gastroenteritis and may last for 1 to 10 days, depending on which virus causes the illness.

Exposure to sewage or its products may result in a number of illnesses. These include:

Gastroenteritis, Weil's disease, Hepatitis, The most common way that harmful bacteria enters the body is by hand-to-mouth contact during eating, drinking and smoking, or by wiping the face with contaminated hands or gloves, or by licking splashes from the skin, by skin contact, through cuts, scratches, or penetrating wounds, i.e. from discarded hypodermic needles. Certain organisms can enter the body through the surfaces of the eyes, nose and mouth.
                              Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 11-03-2007, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Can't say I've ever gotten sick from drain cleaning.

CAUSE I"VE NEVER DONE IT.
                                AHHH HA HAAAA!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X