Clear All

Re: Ever get sick from drain cleaning?

Wish I could say that...lol.. hell I`ve been doing it while I am sick
    You just cant keep a good man down
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
      Exposure to sewage or its products may result in a number of illnesses. These include:

Gastroenteritis, Weil's disease, Hepatitis, The most common way that harmful bacteria enters the body is by hand-to-mouth contact during eating, drinking and smoking, or by wiping the face with contaminated hands or gloves, orby licking splashes from the skin, by skin contact, through cuts, scratches, or penetrating wounds, i.e. from discarded hypodermic needles. Certain organisms can enter the body through the surfaces of the eyes, nose and mouth.

um......Eeeeeuuuuuwwww!!!

I'm trying to eat dinner here

Comment

I was thinking the same thing when I read that part.....rotflmao

Comment

all clear, if it's any bonus, i lost 20 pounds before i got better. might be time for me to take another drink

make sure you have the 5 gallon bucket with you

you know, the porta potty

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I hear ya rick,
            I got the watery diarrhea, bad headache, fever, and bad abdominal cramps but never got the vomiting part of it. I`m on Day 11 so maybe my time is about up???? I can only hope

Comment

All Clear

Be sure to keep slowly drinking Gaterade unless your doctor prescribed something else. You don't want to become dehydrated from this if you can help it.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                I hear ya rick,
                I got the watery diarrhea, bad headache, fever, and bad abdominal cramps but never got the vomiting part of it. I`m on Day 11 so maybe my time is about up???? I can only hope

ACS,

11 days of this? Yikes! shouldn't you be in a hospital?

What did the doctor give you? and why hasn't it helped?

Comment

There's nothing you can take for this other then time it`s self and a porta potty with ya every where ya go . It has to run it`s course.

What are the symptoms of gastroenteritis?
                  The main symptom of gastroenteritis is diarrhea. When the colon (large intestine) becomes infected during gastroenteritis, it loses its ability to retain fluids, which causes the person’s feces to become watery. Other symptoms include:

Abdominal pain or cramping
                  Nausea
                  Vomiting
                  Fever
                  Poor feeding (in infants)
                  Unintentional weight loss (may be a sign of dehydration)
                  Excessive sweating
                  Clammy skin
                  Muscle pain or joint stiffness
                  Incontinence (loss of stool control)
                  Because of the symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea, people who have gastroenteritis can become dehydrated very quickly. It is very important to watch for signs of dehydration, which include:

Extreme thirst
                  Urine that is darker in color
                  Dry skin
                  Dry mouth
                  Sunken cheeks or eyes
                  In infants, dry diapers (for more than 4-6 hours)

Viral gastroenteritis affects people in all parts of the world. Each virus has its own seasonal activity. For example, in the United States, rotavirus and astrovirus infections occur during the cooler months of the year (October to April)

How is viral gastroenteritis treated?

The most important of treating viral gastroenteritis in children and adults is to prevent severe loss of fluids (dehydration). This treatment should begin at home. Your physician may give you specific instructions about what kinds of fluid to give. CDC recommends that families with infants and young children keep a supply of oral rehydration solution (ORS) at home at all times and use the solution when diarrhea first occurs in the child. ORS is available at pharmacies without a prescription. Follow the written directions on the ORS package, and use clean or boiled water. Medications, including antibiotics (which have no effect on viruses) and other treatments, should be avoided unless specifically recommended by a physician.
                  Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 11-04-2007, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                    All Clear

Be sure to keep slowly drinking Gaterade unless your doctor prescribed something else. You don't want to become dehydrated from this if you can help it.
                    Something that works even better is pediolyte, the same stuff for kids.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      Safety nut Bob on the soapbox again:

but whenever I'm clearing a closet or cutting a soil main I breath through my nose...period.
                      This will not save you. Your nose can perform the function of a respirator with the proper filter. It will only spare you the nasty taste in your mouth.

I once cut a 4" CI stack and it wouldn't stop dripping, I had gloves on, but they got saturated. Leather, cotton, or gloves made from similar materials will not protect your hands. Once saturated (as you found out), they are probably worse because they retain the irritant and hold it next to your skin so it can do further damage. They also block you from visually seeing the affect of the chemical on your skin. You won't see you skin reddening or bubbling up from the chemical burns either.

I rinsed my hands under the hottest water I could with soap as long as I could stand it. Not sure hot water was the best action here either. Hot water opens the skin pores making it easier for the chemical to be absorbed into thee body. Cool water and plenty of it (most MSDS sheets will say 10 to 15 minutes rinse at a high flow rate) would have been better I think.

Crazy as it might sound a pair of chemical splash goggles (NOT safety glasses) should be part of your PPE. After seeing what it can do to your skin in a couple minutes, you likely to be blind in a minute or two if a drain cleaner cocktail mixed up by the HO gets in your eye.

I don't do drain cleaning (and this is one reason why), I also don't like to work in the refineries for the same reasons, there's too much stuff in there to kill you. I have on occasion of the years done work in large chemical plants and refineries but there's enough work in our area that I can stay out of there most of the time. If you don't have that choice then you need to protect yourself as best you can.

You probably all do this but if it were me I would be asking the HO if they used any chemicals before you arrived to try to clear the drain. I'll bet many are not completely truthful at first but if you tell them the consequences they might change their mind. I'd then ask to see the containers and read the precautions if you are not familiar with the product. Also its good to have the container handy should something happen and you have to go to the hospital, your doctor, or call 911.

I know you all get tired of my rants about safety, but if it keeps only one of you from getting injured, I think it is time well spent on my part. In this area to work in a chemical plant or refinery you have to take an 8 hour course in Process Safety Management and pass a 100 Q test. You have to renew that cert every year. There is probably something similar in your area. This is in addition to the OSHA 10 Hour cert. I know this is not drain cleaning, but sloshing through unknown chemicals spilled over the bathroom floor that soak through your clothes, burn your skin, and cause you to go to the hospital doesn't sound much different than some of the accidents I have seen in chemical plants or refineries.

Aaron, you action to rinse off was good, but doesn't sound like it was enough. Maybe should have rinsed longer from your jeans and skin. Might not hurt to carry a clean set of jeans or something you can change into. Keep them in a plastic bag in the truck. If you have to change out put the soiled clothes in the bag to keep from getting the chemical on other items in the truck.

If you think my obsession with safety is nothing but paranoia then all you have to do is not read my posts on the subject and go blindly about your business, hopefully that won't be in the literal sense.
                      NOT using Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) if you are doing any type of drain cleaning is just NUTS!! IMHO.

It's like a sparky not flipping the breaker off before working on an electrical system...

Comment

oh well my friends i thought i was a gone er'.....Sunday evening i was trying to unstop a commode(upstairs) with my toilet auger. The customer(woman) said she poured a little bleach in it to see what it would do. I arrive there thinking im about to make this 'quick money' and just run the auger through the commode and be outta there in 10 minutes. Come to find out as soon as i opened the door(it was sealed closed with a towell at the bottom preventing fumes from escaping) all of the fumes hit me!!..being the super-drain cleaner that i am, i put my shirt over my nose and tried to unstop it. First of all i did not unstop it and told her the commode would have to be pulled off the floor to remove the object..anyway while still attempting to push the auger through, my NOSE AND EYES BEGAN TO BURN!!...THEN IT FELT LIKE I HAD A SEVERE CASE OF ASTHMA AND I'VE NEVER HAD IT....on top of that i allmost FELL down the stairs from running out of that house trying to get AIR!!!....fellas, come to find out, the lady put a GALLON OF BLEACH,A GALLON OF MURITIC ACID(from HomeDepot), AND a quart of BREAK CLEANER(wht the f___!) into the commode!!!!!...the bathroom was NOT vented so as soon as i opened the door i inhaled EVERYTHING!!...her *** had put a gallon of BLEACH, a gallon of MURITIC ACID and a quart of BREAK CLEANER(whta the f___?) into the drain!!!...my lungs and eyes didnt clear up untill about 3 hours!!!!...and i allmost FELL DOWN THE STAIRS from the dizzyness.....so be careful out there fellas!!!!..these d.i.y.'s are sometin else!!

Comment

I used to work in a lab so I know how bad acid and caustic can be and then to mix them makes it really worse. It is a danger to your skin ,eyes etc. and the fumes are bad for your lungs. It's a surprise most home owners won't tell you what they have dumped down the drain or toilet. I always ask so I can plan the safe way of fixing the problem. One call I had was a simple plugged kitchen drain she said. When I got their I found a cheap had snake stuck in the drain from the top and 3 inches of Draino in the sink. I was very careful but still a few drops landed on her kitchen throw rug from my snake head which of course bleached the spots.

Comment

You should have charged her a $100 fee for not being honest and put it right on the bill for her to see. That way she'll know exactly what her lies cost her.
                            Or better yet, you should have called the fire dept. to bring in the HAZMAT team $$$$$$
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                              you should have called the fire dept. to bring in the HAZMAT team $$$$$$
                              And there you have it right there

Comment

"Did liquid drain cleaners work any?"

"Did you try anything else?"

"How much did you use?"

They don't know the "real" reason why you're asking those questions.

I charge more if they answer yes. A flat fee tacked on, usually $60-$100 to cover the eventual replacement of cables someday.

Cables usually will turn white after being exposed to chemicals. Any time steel is bent or rolled it creates microscopic cracks in the surface of the steel.

That chemical gets inside those cracks and breaks down the strength of the cable.

You find out the hard way when the cable snaps under strain while doing another drain cleaning call, months/years later.

I turned one down tonight because the woman got mad at me for asking numerous questions.

I had to know how many fixtures were affected before I loaded the machine up. In essence the reality of her situation was going to be pulling one toilet heading towards a second one, in a white-carpeted home on the second floor.

No thank you. I suddenly got memory loss, told her the name of someone else better suited for these applications.
                                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                                X