X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Used The Root Rat?

Hello there I am A new user on the forum and would appreciate any advice I can get on the Root Rat Jetter Head from Chempure.I found the Root Rat in Cleaner Magazine and from what I understood they just came out with one for the 3/8 Jetter Hose.Are they safe in Orangeburg Pipe?Do they get stuck ?Any information you can give me would be much appreciated,I have one on order right now and I am hopeing that I can get the roots out better than A set of blades.I contacted the Owner and he swears that its safe in orangeburg and that the lines will be clean as a whistle when im done.Please let me know what you think!Thanks alot

Re: Has Anyone Used The Root Rat?

the issue with orangeburg is that it tends to be oval as it ages and gets squeezed by roots. blades don't work good in out of round pipe.

the root rat uses a chain or wire rope as a whip on the end of the rotary nozzle. i feel that the scraping of the tar paper pipe is not good. a wire is probably less harmful than a chain though.

have you camera-ed the line to see the condition and the problem area? is the pipe still round?

i don't use a root rat, i use a warthog nozzle.

welcome to the forum and post some photos.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with Rick, use a warthog. With a root rat / orangeburg combo, it may cause problems.

As with any drain or sewer, when you run a hydro jetter, you run the risk of damage. I have seen two different cases where the water jets have caused grooves in the pipe, I had a run a hydro jetter in cast iron, where the jetter kept going back and fourth to break up the soap skum from the washer, we had to stop because there were two grooves in the 1/8th bend, another time was on a laterall, 6", it was on the 1/8th bend into the city saddle, it grooved and chipped the clay because it kept dead ending and wouldn't make the turn. I have never had a problem in a straight sewer, only around bends, just have to work it slowly.

Like I tell my customers, we run the jetter to help the situation, better then what a cable will do, there are times that the jetter will damage/exit the pipe, it all depends on the condition of the sewer, if it happens, more then likely the pipe had to be replaced anyways.

By the way, I have also broken drains with cable machines also.
      Last edited by westcoastplumber; 08-12-2007, 01:16 PM.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Hey guys I appreciate your advice on the WartHog.I will add that to my arsenal of weapons for them Tree Roots this week.I have not received the root rat yet I ordered it on Wednesday I just needed some feedback before I get out there in the field with it and have any problems.Robert I appreciate you answering my E Mail so quickly ,right on man!I have only gone out of A line twice in 14 years of drain cleaning and was able to get out both times good old push pull forward reverse works wonders.I am just starting my own Drain Cleaning Business I have been out of the game for A year I broke my back and the Drs said I would never be able to plumb again.I took some of the money we had in savings and bought all new equipment Plumbing and Drain Cleanings in my Blood and I had to prove them Drs wrong.So I am trying to use my Jetter as much as possible to avoid bringing machines up and down stairs.I had a year to think about Invoices and Disclaimers and I believe that I have covered all basis if A Cable or Jetter does leave the line.So far word of mouth has been spreading real well for me,I had A great reputation when I went down and now the words out that I am back on my feet with my own business.Rick I will post some pictures here when I get that root rat in a line.I really appreciate yours and Roberts input and im heading over to the warthog site right now.Thanks again!

Kevin

Comment

I used a Chempure root rat several years ago.
          The cables are a PITA to replace and will burn down to nothing in a few seconds on terracotta pipe. The chains will spin without much wear, but often get locked together in a circular pattern. I wouldn't have another one. Sorry I didn't post sooner, perhaps you'll have better luck. What kind of jetter psi/gpm are you using.

Comment

This is the only picture of a root rat I can find... whats it look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
              This is the only picture of a root rat I can find... whats it look like.
              i brought one back with my k-39 the first week i used it. joey wouldn't let me even show it off. it was all tangled around my 5/16'' cable. too bad i didn't have my camera.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Found a pic.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X