Water Bladder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Bladder

Have any of you had experence with useing a Bladder hooked up to a hose to clear a blockage ? I had my first chance to use one to clear a bathroom sink drain. K-39 would only go in 6' and stop, I can only guess it was hitting up against a T in the pipe. Tried the Water Bladder and it worked in 2 seconds free and clear.

Re: Water Bladder

not sure if you put the "blow bag" in from the sink or an outside cleanout.

from the sink, what kept the water from going up the vent?

i have used them before, but never inside the house. only outside and typically on an area drain line.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I would never use one for any reason myself.
      There's a reason you couldn't get a cable down the drain.
      If it was a "T" then you don't have the right equipment to clean the drain. I just did a 1 1/2" that had 4 90`s today
      I have heads with "U- Joints" and can make any bend in any line. If it was a dead end, then it was not plumbed right and needs fixed or the problem will happen again.
      Thats why it`s better left to the Guy`s that know what they are doing
      Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 08-15-2007, 09:19 AM.
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
        I would never use one for any reason myself.
        There's a reason you couldn't get a cable down the drain.
        If it was a "T" then you don't have the right equipment to clean the drain. I just did a 1 1/2" that had a 90`s today
        I have heads with "U- Joints" and can make any bend in any line. If it was a dead end, then it was not plumbed right and needs fixed or the problem will happen again.
        Thats why it`s better left to the Guy`s that know what they are doing

Absolutely, I have used a blow bag just once, and it exploded in a floor drain...never again!!!!
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I don't think I would ever use one but mostly because you have no backflow protection.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Good question Rick, I think the home owner did his own plumbing and ran his sink drain to the drain pipe from his shower and was plugged before it reached that connection. Last month I ran into a problem with a kitchen drain, couldn't get it cleaned out because of the way it was piped. It did have a clean out in the bsmt. but being steel and old I couldn't get the plug out with the tools I had. I told him to call a plummer but it was a weekend and he didn't want to pay the big $$$$$ so he called in another drain cleaning company. He cut the pipe in the bsmt. and put in a bladder bag turned on the water. Turns out there was a week spot in the pipe and burst a hole. Owner said what a mess black grease and crap all over his lanundry room. Last I heard he was wondering if said drain cleaning company had insurance ?

Comment

Originally posted by wizzy View Post
              Good question Rick, I think the home owner did his own plumbing and ran his sink drain to the drain pipe from his shower and was plugged before it reached that connection. Last month I ran into a problem with a kitchen drain, couldn't get it cleaned out because of the way it was piped. It did have a clean out in the bsmt. but being steel and old I couldn't get the plug out with the tools I had. I told him to call a plummer but it was a weekend and he didn't want to pay the big $$$$$ so he called in another drain cleaning company. He cut the pipe in the bsmt. and put in a bladder bag turned on the water. Turns out there was a week spot in the pipe and burst a hole. Owner said what a mess black grease and crap all over his lanundry room. Last I heard he was wondering if said drain cleaning company had insurance ?
              wizzy, a blow bag is a poor mans jetter. the problem with a blow bag is that it seals off the entry point in the pipe and it then fills the downstream line with pulsating water.

if the stoppage doesn't clear, where does all the water go? in your example, out the laundry pipe. most likely the laundry standpipe.

while a jetter could be very messy. the blow back effect will cause the waste water to come back out the opening of the pipe it was inserted in. now if you use too big of a jetter in a line, you could get a blast of displaced air that will splash from a toilet or trap.

experience in drain cleaning and jetting will prevent most of the nasty issues you've brought up.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Yea what Rick said "or" Just call someone that knows what they are doing
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I have used them successfully in residential and commercial applications . I also use them for sewer gravity tests , and to test shower pans . I prefer a jetter and have operated some fine ones . I hope to aquire one in the next year. Actually 2 I guess , one for 2" and smaller and one for 3" and larger .

Comment

Originally posted by apf View Post
                    I have used them successfully in residential and commercial applications . I also use them for sewer gravity tests , and to test shower pans . I prefer a jetter and have operated some fine ones . I hope to aquire one in the next year. Actually 2 I guess , one for 2" and smaller and one for 3" and larger .

I HAVE ALSO USED SUCCESSFULLY, BUT HAVE ALSO SEEN WHAT HAPPENS
                    WHEN NOT USED CORRECTLY BY MYSELF AND BY HOMEOWNERS,
                    IN ONE CASE THE HOMEOWNER USED THOUGH OUTSIDE CLEANOUT, TO CLEAR KITCHEN SINK DRAIN, IT PUSHED A SOLID SLUG OF GREASE INTO MAIN SEWER LINE THAT THEN FILLED UP AND RAN OUT OF SHOWER PAN ALL OVER BATHROOM AND MASTER BEDROOM CARPET, MAKING A HUGE MESS,

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER
                    JERRYMAC
                    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

We used to use them on the housing units up in Eilson AFB, Fairbanks AK., I wouldn't say we used them everyday, but when we did the success rate was decent enough. Haven't seen one since (back in the 80's), nobody I know uses them anymore or owns one.
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I've used blow bags on kitchen sinks after i've snaked the drain a hundred times and the sludge just won't wash out. Just make sure you use the material type and not the rubber ones.

Comment

Sorry about that earlier post . HAnds got ahead of my head . I do not use blow bags for testing . My bad . Obviously that would be test balls , but I regress , the blow bags are useful if you know how to use them .

Comment

I have used blow bags mainly for yard drainage, I had one time where I had a nasty pile of sludgy, toilet paper, poop, slurrpy corn stoppage, look like a poop milkshake, it was in a very expensive house, no balls to get a mainline in, all very expensive marble floors and many steps, I used a blow bag, cleared it up rather quickly, but, before I used the bag, I diagnosed the problem, weighed my options, traced out as much drain as possible, and took really good care not to do anything stupid.

Thay are ok, but I don't make it a habit to use everyday.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Re: Water Bladder for tub drains

I've used a rubber bladder with success. However with old galvanized or cast iron pipes only. I think PVC will probably burst with all that pressure.

Use a garden hose cut off switch on the end of the hose to turn on and off water to the bladder. Remember to gradually turn on the water until full blast.

I've had good success with bath tub drains and bathroom sinks ONLY.

Remove the trap lever plate and linkage and placing the bladder inside the overflow pipe while placing a towel inside the tub's drain works well. I suggest running the bladder for at least 15 minutes for a good clean.

However thats a waste of water and a snake will be best for any clog. Using a snake through the overflow pipe will be faster but will not clear the pipe as thorough as a bladder in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X