Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do not buy the Auto-Spin !

All Clear,

Rick makes fun of me because I like to go up to the boys at HD as they are pondering which plunger to buy. I tell them the best way to tell a good plunger is to throw it on the ground. If it sticks then it has good suction, if it doesn't you have to try another one.

Then, I laugh hysterically as they keep screwing new plunger heads on the wooden stick and throwing them to the ground.

I bet when they get home and they still can't work the plunger after I have given them the "inside tip" they call you guys

I find it amusing EVERY time

Joey
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
      All Clear,

Rick makes fun of me because I like to go up to the boys at HD as they are pondering which plunger to buy. I tell them the best way to tell a good plunger is to throw it on the ground. If it sticks then it has good suction, if it doesn't you have to try another one.

Then, I laugh hysterically as they keep screwing new plunger heads on the wooden stick and throwing them to the ground.

I bet when they get home and they still can't work the plunger after I have given them the "inside tip" they call you guys

I find it amusing EVERY time

Joey

OMG and here ive been doing it wrong the entire time LOL
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I`m gonna tell em that next time....rotflmao

Off to do one more before I call it a night 12:04am and still playing sewer guy
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

how well does the Water ram work on urinals with paper towels in them?

THe "James Brown Arena" just called and said that they have "8-24 urinals with paper towels in them"

Comment

Regarding The Kinetic Water Ram

Hello all,

This is my first post here, so let me know if this type of response to the original thread title is considered a hijack. If it is, I am sorry.

I probably use the Kinetic Water Ram twice a week -- usually with good results. I have used it enough to have a good idea of when it will do the job or when it has a potential for disaster (and embarrassment). I have learned that it pays to treat every instance of using this tool as one that might backfire - literally. This tool can make a huge mess if you're not paying very close attention to exactly what you're doing and if you haven't carefully considered the potential of a high-pressure blast entering the DWV system. One mistake should be all it takes to give any plumber a better understanding of what he needs to do the next time. It is amazing, the places from which nasty, slimey, black sewage can appear when it is forced very rapidly at, even, very low pressure. First-time use of the Kinetic Water Ram is best reserved for a plumber's own home or the home of his in-laws.

After the learning/trial-and-error period, the Kinetic Water Ram can be a great friend and it can make money. I charge $35.00 for the use of mine (the rental places around here charge about the same for two hours) and I usually let my customers know how it works and that, if it works, it will save them some money. But if it doesn't work, I don't charge them the $35.00, and I resort to the more conventional methods. There are several situations where this is the perfect tool, but most often, the snake is my tool of choice.

The Kinetic Water Ram can be a great time-saver and money-maker, but you really do have to know how to use it properly or you will find yourself with a huge mess to clean-up or, possibly, pipes (especially slip joints) that you have to repair that would have otherwise been just fine had you used a snake in the first place.

One member noted that the water ram is good for roof drains, and it is, but my worst experience with my water ram was while using it on a roof drain. It was late one rainy night when I rushed into using the water ram (after not being within reach of a stoppage at more than 250') without first considering every possible disaterous scenario, I set everything up for the big blast, pulled the trigger and PRESTO!! It was a beautiful thing to watch that roof drain take-in the thousands of gallons of water that had been standing. I packed-up and walked down to the building's parking garage to get my truck and noticed a very dirty, wet, convertible BMW with a few ceiling tiles on its roof, complimented with a touch of raw sewage, including the usual items that we find wrapped around our cables from time to time. Needless to say, I was bummed. I knew this wasn't just a coincidence. I knew I had done something very, very bad. Since it was still raining, the water coming from the ceiling was relentless, but at least it was helping to clean the BMW a little. I went back outside, plugged the roof drain and returned to the garage to get a better look at what I had done. Well, sometime over the building's sixty or so year life, somebody had connected an entire wing's sanitary system into the roof system with a 4" PVC sanitary tee, backwards on the horizontal. To add to the beauty of their work, they failed to support the pipe for about forty feet in any direction -- they even removed the clevis hangers that once held the storm drainage in place. This was all held together with two No-Hub bands -- everything sagging to this meeting place above the poor BMW. I am sure that this would eventually have been a problem to deal with under better circumstances, but I made it my problem to deal with at that moment with the pull of the trigger. That 20psi blast opened-up a can of worms (atop a nice, new BMW) that had to be closed real fast.

By the time I had everything put back together, with the sanitary line going to where it was supposed to go and everything strapped and hung as it should have been, everything drained fine. The BMW fared well, too, with no scratches or water damage. The owner of the car felt so sorry for me that he wouldn't even let me pay for a wash and detail.

That was, without a doubt, my worst experience involving a stoppage, but it didn't make me afraid to use the Kinetic Water Ram -- it made me understand it a little better and since then it has become one of my best friends.

Comment

Nonsense.

After Roto-Rooter came out and unplugged our washer drain (lint, what else?), I bought an Auto-Spin mail order for $120. Roto-rooter had charged me about the same. Since then, I have used the Auto-Spin twice, so needless to say it is a very workable unit. You had to have done something to the foot switch that you shouldn't have--that comment about dragging across the tub sounds awfully suspicious to me.

As for quality--puh-leeeez!

The Auto-Spin was not designed for "commercial" (for you morons out there that means "day-to-day", paid laborer) use.

A final note: as an engineer, I found the design to be not only novel, but clever as well. Please do not buy this unit to run a business with.

Comment

Plumb Bob , Do You always make friends this fast
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Plumb Bob , Do You always make friends this fast
                  I get tired (real fast) of people that have opinion borne either from misinformation or hubris. The reality is that the Auto-Spin is a well-engineered unit FOR IT'S INTENDED PURPOSE. If comments to that effect offend someone, well, get a life.

If a registered plumber bought an Auto-Spin for his business I would write the board to have his license revoked.

Comment

Just wait till tomorrow when a certain infamous plumber will preach how they pay off in one job. I'm certain almost everyone on here wishes he got his license revoked.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      Just wait till tomorrow when a certain infamous plumber will preach how they pay off in one job. I'm certain almost everyone on here wishes he got his license revoked.
                      Lol,

that is so funny Ben...I get this joke..

Comment

Thank's Bruce, That's a great story. Had to be one hell of a day for You!
                        Don't ask Me about the run away equept trailer last month! Thank god for huge redwood trees!
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          the scary part is he has written an article about drain cleaning. drum and sectional.

he thinks there is a 1 1/8'' machine and cable for sectional. still waiting for his explanation of this machine.

how could someone who makes a living with his tools, purchase an auto spin?

then he wants it repaired for free. not only is the drain not getting cleaned properly, the customer is getting cleaned out of their money

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I hate to say it, but I bought one....rotflmao
                            I also returned it in the first hour of uses

they asked me at HD why I was returning it and my reply was "it`s a joke, not even a home owner would be happy with it!"

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                              I hate to say it, but I bought one....rotflmao
                              I also returned it in the first hour of uses

they asked me at HD why I was returning it and my reply was "it`s a joke, not even a home owner would be happy with it!"
                              all clear, you're starting to act and sound like slyvan

the differance is you're way smarter you returned yours.

i actually thought of buying one so i can see it up close. not use it, just see it. so i took one off the shelf and put it back

rick.

stick with the 7500 and i'll bring you the 60
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick
                                I`ve got a problem....rotflmao
                                I`v got a tool fetish and seem to buy just about any tool I don't have. I see it and I`ve gotta have it.
                                I`m gonna have to find a class some where to help me control my habit. It`s an illness that I`m afraid there's no cure for? I know the first step is knowing you have a problem and admitting it but I`m afraid it`s gonna take some help or I`m gonna need a 40` trailer before the years end.

Comment

Working...
                                X