X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not buy the Auto-Spin !

After just one day, the pneumatic foot pedal switch have a rip on the bottom !! I dragged it across the tub several times, but I'm sure there's no sharp debirs that caused it. There's no other way to turn on the machine ....

Chuck that under "Inferior China materials" again.

RIGID, PLEASE FIX THIS !
    Last edited by wongman2001; 08-26-2007, 07:28 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Do not buy the Auto-Spin !

Ridgid moderators; it seems that more complaints on drain machines are generated by the auto spin. Why does Ridgid continue to make a crappy product? Is the DIY market really that lucrative? Why not keep the quality standards of the old days of ridgid the same as now for all tools not just the professional grade. If you can't make it right, you shouldn't sell it.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

the auto spin is a scaled down/ cheapened version of the k-40. and you know my feeling on the k-40

it was never designed for the pro or handyman.

this machine was a home depot promo item a few years back when it came out. problem is home depot has scaled back on it's real professional line of tools. the only good stuff is in their rental department. of course you can special order the good stuff from them if you want.

a k-39 or 380 is the highest end snake they carry in stock now.

years ago i bought a k750 from home depot. but that was when they carried the 600 threader too. now it's all special order.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        the auto spin is a scaled down/ cheapened version of the k-40. and you know my feeling on the k-40

it was never designed for the pro or handyman.

this machine was a home depot promo item a few years back when it came out. problem is home depot has scaled back on it's real professional line of tools. the only good stuff is in their rental department. of course you can special order the good stuff from them if you want.

a k-39 or 380 is the highest end snake they carry in stock now.

years ago i bought a k750 from home depot. but that was when they carried the 600 threader too. now it's all special order.

rick.
        Rick, the problem is that the Auto spin isn't sold as a "hd auto spin". It's sold as a "ridgid auto spin". Does HD tell Ridgid what to make? Ridgid should have the sense to take a crappy product off the market. You can't get it right all the time.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks guys ... plumber came in with a pneumic plunger, clogged up the over-flow hole, ran water on the bath & kitchen sink. 10 min & $60 later it was all cleared !

Hand the pedal swith held on, I think I could've done it. I felt it went in ~15 feet before switch leaked ... sigh ...

What's strange was the toilet & bath sink ran fine ... just the tub.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Rick, the problem is that the Auto spin isn't sold as a "hd auto spin". It's sold as a "ridgid auto spin". Does HD tell Ridgid what to make? Ridgid should have the sense to take a crappy product off the market. You can't get it right all the time.
            ben it's not just at home depot. that was just a reference i used as an outlet for d.i.y. people.

they sell 2 other hand crank units there too.

it's a price issue. the lower the price, the lower the quality and longevity. if there is a market for this machine, someone will make it. we don't need to buy it and anyone that does buy it, better not think it's a discounted pro model.

tieger plumbing bought 2 for a job as he posted. an upgraded version (4x the price) is the k-40 and i don't recommend that either.

the do it yourself market and the professional market are 2 totally different animals.

i think ridgid already realizes the market they were focusing on.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by wongman2001 View Post
              Thanks guys ... plumber came in with a pneumic plunger, clogged up the over-flow hole, ran water on the bath & kitchen sink. 10 min & $60 later it was all cleared !
              being in new york, i thought the price was $325. for the 1/2 hour or is that just tieger plumbing.

i have a general pneumatic "plunger" and for me, it's more of a novelty item. unless you want to splash waste water all over the place

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I'm not into the pneumatic at all, I will clear anything with one of my many cables, I love to see what I can pull back
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

I guess they are talking about the General Kinetic water ram. I saw one at the trade show in Nashville a few years back. They had this sink displayed with an elaborate series of pipes with all of these turns.

There was a pump that recirculated the water from the "end of the line" back up to the sink basin.

To show the "power" of the Water Ram they would insert a rubber plug into the end of the drain. Then they would allow you to demo the water ram.

The Ram would work every time, until I fitted the plug in as tightly as possible. When I squeezed the trigger water shot out of the "vent" that was extended about ten feet overhead. The guys at General were not amused by my display of indoor precipitation .

Something about "blockages are never that tight" and "if the blockage is that bad you need a SuperVee". I could see it being a neat tool to have in the arsenal, but I don't know if my customers would pay me to use a plunger on steroids.

Comment

Wongman, Your best bet is to give one of our service centers a call and drop the unit off. If it really is just the footswitch PM me and I will see if we can work something out quicker.

Josh
                    Last edited by Josh; 08-27-2007, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I use a plunger all the time to clean w/c and when I do, I charge for a service call.

BTW.... The AUTO-SPIN is CRAP
                      HD is full of returns
                      Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 08-27-2007, 12:20 PM.
                      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                        I use a plunger all the time to clean w/c and when I do, I charge for a service call.
                        90%of the time a good plunger is all that is required. i always tell that my customers and some will do it. the ones that want me to do it for them, i break out my trusty plunger and amaze them what i do in a minute they can't get done in a day or two of trying.

my auger stays in the truck, unless the kids dropped g.i joe down the toilet.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Tieger plumbing
                          I bought two of them and one managed to last for 3 tub stoppages and then failed to work It is back being repaired (2nd time) under warrantee.
                          Granted it is pure garbage and is a throw away unit BUT the reason I did buy them is I charge over twice what this junk cost so It paid for itself plus some profit the first time used and anything after that is a present.
                          Going though an old standing waste or 11/2 lead traps one needs a really flexible snake and a machine that had so little torque that is it virtually impossible to punch a hole through lead piping.
                          I must admit this is the WORST electric machine on the market BUT being so cheap it is a great use once and throw away for jobs that require that extra care when snaking IMHO
                          Please do not respond to this waste. He's trying to goad us into an arguement for kicks. Let's ignore his responses that provide nothing and he'll go away. His response to this will further prove to the forum members that his intentions on this forum are for the wrong reasons.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Rick
                            I love it when I walk up to the truck and grab my plunger and they say "I already tried one of them" I go in the house and push it about 3 or 4 times and "Bang`O bingo" it`s open....lol

I always tell them that "anyone can buy a tool, but if you don't know how to use it, you cant get the job done it was intended to do"

Comment

Originally posted by Tieger plumbing
                              I charge over twice what this junk cost
                              What a DICK
                              Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 08-28-2007, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X