Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting a drain cleaning business in NJ

Greetings all:

I am new to this forum and I wanted to get some insight on some issues I'm debating on getting myself into. I've been doing plumbing for 5 years now. I also completed my 4 years of state required apprenticeship classes, and currently working to finish my "on the job" hours in order to take the NJ Master Plumbers exam.

I was told that in the state of NJ a Plumber's license NOT required to run a drain cleaning business. I was not sure if this is a fact, and that is why I am posting this thread.

Along with that issue, my father has a active plumber's licence, however he's not letting me work under it because he fears costs of insuring himself and other expenses that he's unaware of. I was wondering what actions are needed to be done in order to get a company off the ground.

How do I go about copywriting a company name?
    What costs are insurances to have the company?
    If working under my father's licence, what steps would I have to take to insure myself of any mishaps / damages?
    Cost of LLC / Inc ?

A lot of these thoughts are overwheling as well as very risky. I have all the tools required to make a company work, however I don't know what early steps are needed to begin company growth.

Thank you for your time,

-R. (New Jersey)

Re: starting a drain cleaning business in NJ

Welcome to the forum 3 7's,

Lot of guys here know NJ.I got nothin' for ya(west coast).
    ENJOY

ADAM

Comment

Welcome to the forum...i would definitely ask around. I hear NJ is pretty tough with licesnes on anything..I did work for a drain cleaning co in NJ for 5 yrs, they were not Plumbers...and did not do any drain work in NJ at all...everything was done in Phila and surrounding areas...

Greg
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Welcome to the forum and perhaps someone from NJ can give you some info for your area. If you spend some time here you will find there are many threads which address many of your questions. However, the rules and costs are differnt from area to area so understand answers from outside of your area may not always be correct.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

You might be able to get your answer RE: drain cleaning, by contacting the state plumbing inspectors office and/or the state licensing board.
          For your other questions you could contact your local SCORE chapter. If they don't have your answers they can at least point you in the right direction.
          SCORE is a group of retired businessmen/women that volunteer their time/advise to help small business'.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Welcome to the forum. You should be able to call your county or city and ask what type of licence, will cover the type of work you plan to do.
            Your Insurance will depend on location and buildings you will work at. Some places will not let you work with out 1 million dollars coverage, or more.
            Setting up a small corp. will probably run you about 1200 dollars
            Your comapany name is just doing a search in your area, and asking that info from city or county in that area you will be doing bussiness. to check to see if the name is taken. I would guess you will need about 5,000 dollars to get up and running. Hopefully you have some customer ready to go to work for. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by NJmusic777 View Post
              Greetings all:

I am new to this forum and I wanted to get some insight on some issues I'm debating on getting myself into. I've been doing plumbing for 5 years now. I also completed my 4 years of state required apprenticeship classes, and currently working to finish my "on the job" hours in order to take the NJ Master Plumbers exam.

I was told that in the state of NJ a Plumber's license NOT required to run a drain cleaning business. I was not sure if this is a fact, and that is why I am posting this thread.

Along with that issue, my father has a active plumber's licence, however he's not letting me work under it because he fears costs of insuring himself and other expenses that he's unaware of. I was wondering what actions are needed to be done in order to get a company off the ground.

How do I go about copywriting a company name?
              What costs are insurances to have the company?
              If working under my father's licence, what steps would I have to take to insure myself of any mishaps / damages?
              Cost of LLC / Inc ?

A lot of these thoughts are overwheling as well as very risky. I have all the tools required to make a company work, however I don't know what early steps are needed to begin company growth.

Thank you for your time,

-R. (New Jersey)
              I took the NJ test and went to a 4 year school for National Standard Plumbing code. According to the code book, you have to be licensed to pull or install a toilet, or install a trap. You most certainly can work under a Licensed Plumber.

I know how strict New Jersey is, after all the headache I went through with them. But I'm not sure if you have to be licensed to operate a Drain Cleaning business.

In certain area's where I live and where I do code enforcement..you have to be a licensed Plumber to touch any Plumbing system..including drain cleaning.

Since you have a state wide Plumbing license..you may have to contact them to get a clarification on drain cleaning. Good luck on contacting them..they are an ignorant bunch!

Comment

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/laws/plumberlaws.pdf

It is all online. . .google New Jersey State Contractors Board
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Master Plumbers http://www.njslmp.org/

NJ Div of Community Affairs/Code Enforcement http://www.state.nj.us/dca/codes/

Also look this over.
                  http://www.state.nj.us/dca/codes/cod...ork_6_2006.pdf

It's poorly formatted document which makes it difficult to read, but it outlines what's considered maintenance and what requires permits.

Also look at this page, because if the scope of work you wish to pursue does not require a plumbing license, then you will most likely have to have a State HIC license.

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/contractors/statsregs.pdf

ยง 13:45A-16.1A Definitions
                  The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter, shall have the following meanings unless the context indicates otherwise.

"Home improvement" means the remodeling, altering, painting, repairing, renovating, restoring, moving, demolishing, or modernizing of residential or noncommercial property or the making of additions thereto, and includes, but is not limited to, the construction, installation, replacement, improvement, or repair of driveways, sidewalks, swimming pools, terraces, patios, landscaping,
                  fences, porches, windows, doors, cabinets, kitchens, bathrooms, garages, basements and basement waterproofing, fire protection devices, security protection devices, central heating and air conditioning equipment, water softeners, heaters, and purifiers, solar heating or water systems, insulation installation, siding, wall-to-wall carpeting or attached or inlaid floor coverings, and other changes, repairs, or improvements made in or on, attached to or forming a part of the residential or noncommercial property, but does not include the construction of a new residence. The term extends to the conversion of existing commercial structures into residential or noncommercial property and includes any of the above activities performed under emergency conditions.

In addition NJ now has (or soon will have) a state license for HVAC contractors. If you have a plumbers license you don't have to ge tthe HVAC license, but all the current HVAC shops that don't have a Plumbing License will have to get at least one person to hold a license following along pretty much the same rules as exist for Master Plumbers.
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                  X