X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snaking during a lighting storm??

What are your thoughts about snaking a main line during a thunder storm?
    I would think it would be about as safe as holding up a metal pole during a storm.
    I got a call this evening and by the time I arrived A severe weather warning was issued and a storm was brewing. Just after assessing the situation the rain and lightning came. I explained the perceived safety issue to the homeowner and she was fine with waiting till first thing in the A.M.
    For some reason I have never had to snake during a thunder storm so I have never given it much thought until now. I would think theres a good chance at getting struck and I'd rather not be found face down in a puddle of human waste.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Snaking during a lighting storm??

I used to when I first started. now I don't run electric machines in the rain.

Comment

I think you made the right move. As I said in a previous post clearing someone's drain is not worth getting killed over.

"Cause when you're dead, you've lost a significant part of your life"
      [I can't remember who said that. Sounds like a Bushism but its not.]
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
        I used to when I first started. now I don't run electric machines in the rain.
        99% of the clean outs here are in the basement so the rain is not a problem. My concern was with the lightning traveling in the ground and finding my snake or, cutting the roots of the tree and the tree getting struck.
        I've never heard of this happening but I think it would be quite possible. I don't think my Wolverine/Caterpillar boots would hold up.
        Last edited by Gene Bickford; 08-30-2007, 11:14 PM.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I just read that the wolverine caterpillar boots were recalled about shock hazards or something

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
            I just read that the wolverine caterpillar boots were recalled about shock hazards or something
            yeah I saw that. I was joking. I'd never spend that much $$$$ on a pair of boots anyway. I buy mine at the wal-mart for $37.00 and throw them out when they start getting more brown then black from the TP and sh*# on them.

Comment

I've never considered the hazards of running a machine while INSIDE and it is raining. I suppose it could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                What are your thoughts about snaking a main line during a thunder storm?
                How stupid are you???
                Really just how stupid are you Gene?

Edit:

Sorry
                I think the Dog must have humped my leg.
                Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 08-31-2007, 12:15 AM.
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=Gene Bickford;90912]What are your thoughts about snaking a main line during a thunder storm?
                  I would think it would be about as safe as holding up a metal pole during a storm.

A snake IS a metal rod!

Never saw a plastic one, have I Rick?
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

A snake IS a metal rod!

Never saw a plastic one, have I Rick?[/quote]

you're favorite snake joey is the plastic "zip stick" you thread down the drain and pull up your hair

since we don't have lightning storms, or even rain here, the only time i guess nervous when it rains, is when i have my seesnake out in the rain.

the camera is water proof, the monitor is not.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

"you're favorite snake joey is the plastic "zip stick" you thread down the drain and pull up your hair"

LOL. . .it is hard being a plumber's wife. . . I have to do my own plumbing
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

You know I live right here on the edge of tornado alley and we get some great storms come thru. Thunder and rain is just music to work to. First sign of lightning(besides thunder) and I pack it up and wait it out. Kinda sucks for the slow moving storms but what can you do? You were right to reschedule that one if there was lightning.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                          How stupid are you???
                          Really just how stupid are you Gene?

Edit:

Sorry
                          I think the Dog must have humped my leg.
                          Yeah and your mouth.
                          The reason for this forum is to discuss and learn things, not just be a complete ***%$@*. I'm willing to bet your the guy that knows just about everything on the job site because you spend more time running your mouth then working.

Comment

I was general manager for Payless Plumbing and Air in TAmpa for 4 years . We had our daily downpours loaded with lightening . A job is not worth your life . I wait on outside work , no question . I was entering a private community once , slight rain , thankfully I never stepped out of my truck but as I punched in the keypad code to get in the gates , lightening stuck close to my left . I got a large zap at the keypad . The vans tires or something saved my frickin life . Just did a insurance job . The home was hit by lightening [ 70 year old home ] . Looked to be hit twice , around 5 am . On a rear bathroom group it actually WELDED!!!!! the chrome pop-up together at the stopper . I had black-iron [gas] with burns on the outside from the current jumping .There were HUNDREDS of nails that were holding siding that blew out God -knows- where .Half his siding fell .NOPE .Don"t do lightening .

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                              Yeah and your mouth.
                              The reason for this forum is to discuss and learn things, not just be a complete ***%$@*. I'm willing to bet your the guy that knows just about everything on the job site because you spend more time running your mouth then working.
                              Gene,I cannot tell if you are serious or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X