Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: K60 question

[quote=PLUMBER RICK;91312]are you calling my buddy steve a handyman? polo

i rarely use the guide hose. indoors i will use the hose or allow the 5/8'' section to wind into a 5 gallon bucket and stay there.

For the record I don't know who Steve is. Handyman? I aspire to be a handyman. I'm the bean counter in the office who likes to wander out of the office from time to time and see what the maintenance guys are up to... they probably wish I'd mind my own business.

OK coiling the cable into a 5 gallon bucket, now someone is talking sense. But why do you have to pull the cable out of the c/o facing side of the machine? Can you just keep pulling it out of the other end through the hose guide and into your bucket? Most of our c/o are located under the kitchen sink slightly above the level of the trap, and the kitchen is quite narrow. As oppossed to the video which shows this nice 15 x 15 room with a hole located right in the middle of it. :-)

So as I envision it the K60 would be as close to the cabinet as possible which still leaves me 2-3' away from the cleanout, and not alot of room to be whipping 7' or 15' sections of cable around. Is pulling the cable out the back totally a no go?

I guess what I need is to setup a "professional demo" so I can see how it will work.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Comment

I'm making 3 assumptions about your situation.
      1. Most of your stoppages are relatively short and less than 80 ft.
      2. They're most soft stoppages(i.e. no roots).
      3. Your lines are 4" and smaller.
      If this sounds like what you deal with, then I would recommend the K3800. This machine cannot do roots or line bigger than 4". It does excel in tight spaces and soft stoppages. I would have 2 drums, 1 w/ a 1/2 IC and the other with the 3/8 IC and the autofeed. Combined with a K39AF, this will solve 99% of your stoppages.

The K-60 is THE BEST all round purpose machine but even I will say it has shortcoming. My setup time takes longer than actual run time. Your stoppages are likely to be in a controlled environment where the setup is very similar. In other words you're not going to snake from the roof 1 day, outside cleanout the next day, under a sink next day. Most of your stoppage will likely be like the last one you did.

To answer your question about setup with the 60, I leave all my cables connected in the reel with the male end coming out first. I then run my cable in manually, with a head, until I come to the stoppage. Disconnect the cable from the reel at the nearest joint. Move the reel and position the machine and run the cable inside with the guide hose. Once the stoppage is clear, move the 60 out of the way and connect the cable back to the reel and manually feed the cable back in the reel. I can push/pull 90' of cable like this in less than 3 min. I use folded cardboard to catch any splatter.

I own both machines and like the 60 more than the 3800 but I've had the practice to get good and reconize the advantages and disadvatages of each. The 3800 with the shorter learning curve will probably be better for your application. Check your private messages.

Ben
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Steve is a very talented plumber who we recently made fun of because he is the only plumber in the world who still uses a Marco snake.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Ben,

Your assumptions are spot on for 90% of our stoppages. We do have main lines where the situation is different.

I guess if we are going to do the K60 we are going to have be more vigilant about keeping clean cables.

Thanks for the reply.

Marc

Comment

HI THERE IF YOU WANT A OLD DRAIN MAN'S OPINION;
            I WOULD GO WITH THE K-3800, WITH EASY ON/OFF ROLLER HANDLES, 1-DRUM EATHER 1/4"X50' OR 5/16" X 50' CABLES TO RUN 3/4' TO 1 1/2" DRAINS,
            SAME MACH. DIFFERNT DRUM 3/8' x 100' cable to clear blockadges in 1 1/2" to 3" drains, or 3rd. drum 1/2" x 90" cable
            to clear blockadges in 2"to 4" soft blockadges thease all come with a seletion of many different cutters

#2 second mach k-7500 to do major main lines eather 5/8" x 150" or 3/4" x 125" again many different cutters if you have longer run's you can get a second cable and or drum to change out during long run's this is what i did for a major drain co. for 4 years you have the advantage that you can buy all at once or add extra cable and drums on a payment plan
            this gives you a choice of many different combo's of drum and cables for any type of stoppage job!! with only (2) different basic mach's

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER & MASTER DRAINMAN
            JERRYMAC
            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Also this duable plastic drums keep from slinging waste and water all over the place,
              on the k-3800 the drums slip on and off very easy!!
              i was charging appox, 120.00 per hr. running these mach's and all my custermers felt like they got their money's worth and i give a 6 mos. waranty on all drain job's

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER & MASTER DRAINMAN
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
              X