X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roots In The Middle Of The Street?

Installed missing cleanout 5ft in from curb. Sanitart dist. did freebe camera to house and main. roots near main. small junipers 20 ft from this in yard. No old tree trunks,or trees in this area. Where could the roots come from? Will cut roots and follow with rootx as You have discribed in this forum. Thank's all for Your wisdom.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Roots In The Middle Of The Street?

I believe you can cut down a tree and the roots will keep on growing, never ending roots.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I've had roots come from trees as far as 30 ft away. I've heard roots keep growing 5 yrs after the tree is cut down. I've had more roots come from shrubbery next to the house than the tree out front.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Correct, tree roots will grow under ground for up to 8-10yrs after a tree has been cut down.

Also i see alot that you can go from the house all the way to the curb line and be root free, but as soon as you get near the municipal connection, tree roots will start to intrude. Usually because the municipal lines were put in 1st, then the house lines were tied in and tree roots will find there way in the joints right there, where the connection from the house line meets the municipal line.

Greg
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Not sure if this is 100% correct but as I understand it the root system is twice the size of the canopy of the tree.

"Correct, tree roots will grow under ground for up to 8-10yrs after a tree has been cut down". Even if stump is removed?
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Thank's Gene I'll be pulling The Junipers with My backhoe ,when I work in The same hood in a couple of weeks.I HATE JUNIPERS! There a fire hazard,harbor rats,Eat sewers. Local town just wrote an ordanance about there distance to houses! Don't believe this? I'll post this next week.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Take care when pulling as the roots can and do wrap themselves around underground utilities. It would suck to pull out the stump and find a power line attached.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                Not sure if this is 100% correct but as I understand it the root system is twice the size of the canopy of the tree.

"Correct, tree roots will grow under ground for up to 8-10yrs after a tree has been cut down". Even if stump is removed?

Do some research on it, but thats what i come to find out..We had a customer faithfully evey year for 9 after they had their tree cut down due to root intrusion...After the 9th year, and cleanings and root x's, there were no more roots at all.
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Wow I had never heard of this! I bet You were doing Your best to look sad!
                  You and Rick ,Trying Your best to look bumbed out at MASSIVE ROOT INTRUSIONS. Kinda like My uncle The Irish Funeral director,Trying to look sad at a $40,000 funeral !$$

Comment

Yeah, if the tree is removed, the roots still feed and the sewer will still have root problems, many times, the customer is miss-informed and told if they remove the tree, the roots will "go away", sorry, not true, they still feed, the best way is to just replace, re-line, repair the sewer, or just plan on snaking or hydro jetting on a schedule. I have had many lower laterals full of roots, and the saddles, in the middle of the street, many times, have had root problems, the tree dosen't need to be over the sewer to be a problem.
                    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 09-15-2007, 11:30 PM.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thank's Robert , These folks are family ,So I'll take My antiquated equept. with My limited experiance over there once a year. Hopefully We'll share a grandchild one of these days

Comment

As I understand it, if you cut down the tree and leave the stump the roots will continue to grow. If you remove the "heart" of the stump this will kill the roots. Are you guys saying that even after the "heart" of the stump is removed the roots will continue to grow? I'm just wondering as I may be one of the ones miss-informing my customers.

Comment

If you want to kill a tree, drive a copper pipe into it. Done within a year
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            If you want to kill a tree, drive a copper pipe into it. Done within a year
                            I've heard a couple old timers mention that.

Comment

Working...
                            X