X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain stoppage training

I have to give drain stoppage training in 3 weeks at my unit. I just replaced a 2" grease filled galvanized line so I kept that for grease stoppage simulation. What could I use for a stoppage in 4"? We just pulled some trees out and I was thinking of cutting out the roots and plugging up the pipe. I have access to plenty of 2" and 4" pipe with any type of fitting I need to make this demo up. The stoppage does have to be able to be repeatable as I have around 15 guys that will be coming and I want them all to snake the line 3 times each. Has anyone taken a class on drain cleaning? What did your instructor do?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Drain stoppage training

I think for roots I would take a piece of pipe and drill some holes in it and then take some cotton yarn or twine and thread it loosely back and forth a few times and then stuff the root ball in on top of that, it would give some of the feel of the roots hanging in from a joint or crack. (may have to use a wire with an EYE on it to thread the twine, a few times).

on the grease if you had grease from a grease trap and heat it enough to get to flow and then pour it in to a section of pipe and let cool,

a section of pipe with possibly a slit or trap door (possible a tee with the opening up), in to fill with gravel and rocks, rags, dipers, wipes, etc.
    make a section of pipe with a dip in it, so there is low spot in it so it just doesn't wash out, possible even put a reducer it the practice line so the stuff added to the line has some thing to get up against and not jsut wash out.

or you could stack a few of the items, roots, rag and grease, just like you find at times,

Then insert these pipe sections in a practice line

These would be some of the things I would try or make to try to show some one the basics. I think they would be fairly easily repeatable, somethings like the grease would have to be made up in advance,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Get 20 feet pipe, long sweep at the start inlet side. Put cleanout tee on other end. stuff some shop rags in pipe at cleanout end . Add water and away you go. Red food color for blood, may help to set up the mind set for using gloves. lot of things you could do.

Comment

ben, long time, no talk

is it possible to get clear pvc pipe? they do make it and it's spendy, but i'll allow you to buy it on our dime

it' will tend to scratch up and get cloudy, but the results will show how the line is getting cleaned, not just cleared

make sure you have a good assortment of cutters

you will be demoing the k-60, right with the 5/8'' and 7/8'' cables

send a copter out to get me, i'll help

better send a big copter for all the toys

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

No can do on the clear pvc. They don't want to spend too much money on this. A project I was on required 80' of 2" and 4". 800' was ordered by mistake.

BHD-good idea about the yarn, what do you think about hemp twine? What about weed whacker line? Thread the line across the pipe like you said then put newspapers upstream to block the water. Do you think that would be too much for the k-60? I was planning on doing the access cleanout for stopping up the lines. I'm not sure about my idea with using root balls cut from a tree. The roots are thicker when the growing out of the pipe where they tend to be more concentrated but thinner.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            No can do on the clear pvc. They don't want to spend too much money on this. A project I was on required 80' of 2" and 4". 800' was ordered by mistake.

BHD-good idea about the yarn, what do you think about hemp twine? What about weed whacker line? Thread the line across the pipe like you said then put newspapers upstream to block the water. Do you think that would be too much for the k-60? I was planning on doing the access cleanout for stopping up the lines. I'm not sure about my idea with using root balls cut from a tree. The roots are thicker when the growing out of the pipe where they tend to be more concentrated but thinner.
            Too much for the K-60? No such thing!

Comment

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post
              Too much for the K-60? No such thing!
              bruce, never doubt the power of the k-60.

the more i use it, the more i like it, the less my k-7500 gets used.

this is a great tool for following up with precision cleaning from a sewer inspection. i can very easily dial in the exact footage and "clean" the line.

the whole idea of clearing a stoppage is a joke. anyone can push a cable through a stoppage and make it drain.

it takes a pro with the desire and the tools/ cutters to throughly clean the line.

there are so many times i will camera a line that was just "cleared" by others, just to find that the line is still full of roots. all they did was clear the line to make it flow. they never cleaned it to make it last.

the k-60 is a great tool with a good choice of cutters to do a great job. the safety factor is great. even the speed is up there with practice.

there is very little the k-60 can't handle. you just have to know what you're up against.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                bruce, never doubt the power of the k-60.

the more i use it, the more i like it, the less my k-7500 gets used.

this is a great tool for following up with precision cleaning from a sewer inspection. i can very easily dial in the exact footage and "clean" the line.

the whole idea of clearing a stoppage is a joke. anyone can push a cable through a stoppage and make it drain.

it takes a pro with the desire and the tools/ cutters to throughly clean the line.

there are so many times i will camera a line that was just "cleared" by others, just to find that the line is still full of roots. all they did was clear the line to make it flow. they never cleaned it to make it last.

the k-60 is a great tool with a good choice of cutters to do a great job. the safety factor is great. even the speed is up there with practice.

there is very little the k-60 can't handle. you just have to know what you're up against.

rick.
                Rick,

I think you must have misunderstood what I was saying. I said "Too much for the K-60?" Notice the question mark. I was not saying it was too much for the K-60 -- I was asking a rhetorical question. I have all of the faith in the world for this snaking wonder machine. You don't have to sell me on it. It is my favorite machine.

Comment

Rick,

I think you must have misunderstood what I was saying. I said "Too much for the K-60?" Notice the question mark. I was not saying it was too much for the K-60 -- I was asking a rhetorical question. I have all of the faith in the world for this snaking wonder machine. You don't have to sell me on it. It is my favorite machine.

i take it personal when my k-60 impersonator is belittled

now that you explained it better to me, i like the compliment on the k-60

glad you like it too as much as i do

i think i converted mark to admiting the k-60 is the best all around machine. he actually thought the k-50 was it's up there but not #1

what's your best k-60 story

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    i take it personal when my k-60 impersonator is belittled

rick.
                    Come on, Rick......Are you confusing your K-60 "Impressionator" with Sylvan, the "Impersonator?" Say it aint so.

Comment

Come on, Rick......Are you confusing your K-60 "Impressionator" with Sylvan, the "Impersonator?" Say it aint so.
                      I think you're beating Duck for best sense of humor.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

thanks bruce

it's been a long week and a late night.

let me set the record straight.

i take it personal when my k-60 impressionator is belittled

never, never compare the k-60 to slyvan

the k-60 works hard for the money

not sure if slyvan knows what work is and he has never used a k-60.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                        X