X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak Detection!!!!!!!

I recently purchased a leak detector for water leaks/slab leaks and would like advice on marketing it.(Plumber Rick please dont chew me a new one like last time,i DO respect you and your Valuable experience and i apoliogize if you think i was being dis-respectful,i just jumped to conclusions)....i hear that Greg has a leak detector and i dont know about Robert but im sure other experts on here have them Chris? Dogg?.....anyway i have used it for a couple of plumbers and i HAVE found the leak WITHOUT using the air-amplification manifold so i may be a natural(~:......Guys in my city charge from $150-$500 to find a leak...i allready know there is alot of liability involved with it cause if the leak isnt 'right where yoiu located it' you know the plumber/homeowner/prop mang is gonna call your *** back!!!!......Anyway i would like to know yall's pros and cons on leak detection.

Tony

Re: Leak Detection!!!!!!!

Originally posted by lonestardrain View Post
    I recently purchased a leak detector for water leaks/slab leaks and would like advice on marketing it.(Plumber Rick please dont chew me a new one like last time,i DO respect you and your Valuable experience and i apoliogize if you think i was being dis-respectful,i just jumped to conclusions)....i hear that Greg has a leak detector and i dont know about Robert but im sure other experts on here have them Chris? Dogg?.....anyway i have used it for a couple of plumbers and i HAVE found the leak WITHOUT using the air-amplification manifold so i may be a natural(~:......Guys in my city charge from $150-$500 to find a leak...i allready know there is alot of liability involved with it cause if the leak isnt 'right where yoiu located it' you know the plumber/homeowner/prop mang is gonna call your *** back!!!!......Anyway i would like to know yall's pros and cons on leak detection.

Tony
    Im not going to get into pricing for the leak detection, but i can tell you my pros and cons......I like using the leak detection, it does take time to get use to it, and know what your listening too...If you have a good one that you can change frequency on to bleed out alot of the backround noise, stuff like that, then you should be ok....Im sure there are alot better ones then the one of i have...depends on what you want to pay for one...I would say if your purchasing one, make sure you get a good demo of the unit, and do alot of practice runs with it, for example just listening around in walls, i know this is gonna sound crazy, but maybe even do 1 LD for free if its your 1st time using it....I had a company from around here who soley does LD, and they have some pretty good tips...maybe there is a company in your area who soley does LD and they can give you tips...Just a though

Greg
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Re: Leak Detection!!!!!!!

I am a little different with my charges as mine are equipment charges which are charged by the day and then added to my billable rates regardless of how many locates I do in a day.

I use a MetroTech HL4000-50 for most of my work. It has a digital display with 10 adjustable filters and it tracks your last 10 measurements. It's a great locator if you don't mind spending north of 5-grand but it is overkill for putting one on each service truck.

I was told recently leak locating is not an exact science which kind of surprised me as I thought it was but I guess it really is not. The real truth to accuracy is lots of practice and understanding why you are getting the readings you are getting.

Many of the locate companies will hold seminars on a regular basis and if you have not attended one you may want to consider one. It seems each time you attend any type of training you learn something new.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
      X