Views:	1
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1941

Click image for larger version

Name:	30180e4a6a58d677c49c4b16136dd362.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1942

I went to this call yesterday and got my cable stuck in the sewer. After large amounts of soap and alot of pulling, I figured it was time to move it up to some camera action.

Ran my seesnake approx 60' from a rear c/o and pushed until I couldn't push anymore. Located the spot, told the customer I would come back in the am after he removed his gate and moved all the firewood and picked up all the dog terds.

This AM, I get to the job and it is dug up already, thanks to the customers son, this is what I find. The original plumbing contractor 6 years ago forgot that he had installed a c/o there and forgot to cap it when he backfilled it.

Long, long story short, The customer got ahold of the original plumber, who showed up this am after I got the root out and the cable out, to my suprise he was someone I spoke to on a daily basis at the supply house, just about twice my age, around 50 ish. I felt really bad for him, he was very embarrassed to say the least. I felt bad so I lowered my bill a couple hundred dollers from what it was going to be since the other plumbing contractor was going to pay. I have no reason to kick a man when he is down.

Although, I will post these picks and never look at him the same again when I see him in the supply house
    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 09-21-2007, 07:05 PM.
    sigpic

Robert

Re: oops!!Cleanout where?

it is nice that you made the pictures small to minimize the embarassment for the nameless plumber

Comment

Mistakes are made sometime.

Comment

Good call Chris very professional.

You did good lad

Comment

I am suprised by the mistakes are made sometimes, comment, I admit, I make mistakes, everyone does, but how do you backfill a hole with a 4" wye connected to a sewer a total of 140' long, without capping it or bringing the pipe to grade?? The whole sewer was replaced, shouldn't the trench tell you something? Hello?? mistakes are made, but this one tops the list.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

you are a good man not to charge him what you were going to and because of your good deed I'm sure he will talk highly of you and in return more work your way
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I can see the scenario...
              Boss asks "Jimmy" the 6 month apprentice to take out the test ball in the C/O as the inspector is leaving.
              Just as he starts to tell him to be sure to put the plug back in, his nextel chirps, it's the big boss checking in to see how the inspection went, and ask a few questions about the job he did yesterday, as well as explain the next one.
              As he's talking, the GC comes over to ask if everythings all set.
              Just then the backhoe starts up, Jimmy walks over with the test ball and says "It's all set".
              G.C. hears that and gives the signal to the backhoe that it's a go.

At the end of a job, I'll go over the work 3 times over, but I still wouldn't claim perfection.
              Luckily, knock on wood, my liability has no claims.
              I want to keep it that way.
              A STRONG point against lowballing estimates, you're stuck trying to make it up by working too fast.

Comment

Good thread ,and a good lesson. Trust but verify! President Reagans' way of dealing with the russians. Lowering Your bill $200, says more about the Man You are ,than The plumber You are! WELL DONE
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

We did a 120 foot line a few weeks back and we had our 56 yea old helper glue the riser pipe on the double clean-out T. Got a call 3 days later from the home owner asking why the clean out was slanted after the backfill guy got done. Went over and hand dug it up to find out that the helper didn't glue but 1/4 or the joint so when he back filled it snapped off. Talk about looking stupid, I felt about 2" tall after I saw it. I couldn't believe a 56 year old man couldn't tell if he had glue all the way around the fitting or not....errrrrrrr I remember telling him to twist the pipe when he was installing it and hold down on it as I was only a few feet from em.
                  Some times it`s the help that makes the plumbers look bad!
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Did You use your 4 " socket drill to save the fitting?
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Good job Robert. I wouldve done the same thing...If it was capped right to begin with, they wouldve had the problem..What did you use to clear it???

Greg
                      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Did You use your 4 " socket drill to save the fitting?

Actually, there was a 8" piece of 4" ABS in the wye, so once I worked the roots free with a digging bar, I went ahead and pulled them out, got my cable out, cleaned the pipe well, installed a 4" FIP and RH Plug. Buried the hole.

There was no since in installing a c/o for 2 reasons, I was within my 100' from the rear c/o and also, about 12' away, there was another c/o.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                          Good job Robert. I wouldve done the same thing...If it was capped right to begin with, they wouldve had the problem..What did you use to clear it???

Greg
                          I had my Duracable machine, and I had a 4" double blade on it. This is the first time I used a double blade, I usually run 3" half blades, but I figured I would try running 3" & 4" double blades, big mistake, got stuck the first time.

With a half blade I can get my cable free 90% of the time, the roots will slide off after I work it awhile. I do admit, this was a massive root problem, probably would half been stuck with my half blade too.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Robert, as You said " you were 100 ft. from the rear C. O. ,and 12 ft from another !. QUESTION, Why would they have wanted a 3 rd clean out, at that location?

Comment

Here, outside sewers require one every 100 ft.
                              Inside 50 ft, except changes of direction greater than 45.

Comment

Working...
                              X