X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best heads for grease stoppage

What have you guys found to be the best heads for clearing HARD grease stoppages? I don't use a jetter so that's not the answer.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Best heads for grease stoppage

If your not using a jetter, then id probably use a boring blade, or there are blades out there designed for grease blockages, some call it a pear blade, some call it a grease blade...It looks like a regular cutter, but has what looks like spoons on both sides behind the blades..That will usually work pretty well.
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

ben, the blade/ cutter i find that works best for grease is a 4 blade cutter. model#t-112, t-113. these are for the k-60 7/8'' cable.

the 5/8'' cable is the t-213/214/215 cutter.

i like these better than a grease paddle. the 4 saw teeth cutters do a great job on hardened grease, and scale.

running water is good to help flush it while snaking.

of course a jetter is best

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I would use a 4 blade cutter, and run water if possible while snaking line. Also I would sell them Bio-Clean to keep the grease from building up. Plus it a good way to make some money for your self.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          ben, the blade/ cutter i find that works best for grease is a 4 blade cutter. model#t-112, t-113. these are for the k-60 7/8'' cable.

the 5/8'' cable is the t-213/214/215 cutter.

i like these better than a grease paddle. the 4 saw teeth cutters do a great job on hardened grease, and scale.

running water is good to help flush it while snaking.

of course a jetter is best

rick.

Grease paddle, thats it
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Almost always a grease paddle, and sometimes followed-up by a chain knocker. I love knockers.

Comment

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post
              Almost always a grease paddle, and sometimes followed-up by a chain knocker. I love knockers.
              What type of pipe wouldn't you use a chain knocker in?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What do you guys think about the spiral saw blade(T-207)?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

i like any spiral saw tooth, but sometimes get worried, dont know how many turns, if its gonna get hung up in turns, or offset joints, that kinda stuff

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    What type of pipe wouldn't you use a chain knocker in?
                    I don't know if you're being serious or if there is a joke hidden in there somewhere that I can't catch-on to, so I will answer as though you are being serious.

I don't really think there is any specific type of pipe I wouldn't use a chain knocker in except for maybe clay or glass (I never run into glass pipe though). I have to use my best judgement on the condition of the pipe I happen to be working on. I wouldn't use the knocker on a pipe that I know is about to fall apart. Is that what you mean?

Now.....if you're talking about pipe on knockers and not knockers in pipe, that's a whole different story. There's not too many knockers I wouldn't put a pipe on.

Bruce

Comment

Bruce, I was being serious, thanks for the reply. I never dealt with a chain knocker before.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post

Now.....if you're talking about pipe on knockers and not knockers in pipe, that's a whole different story. There's not too many knockers I wouldn't put a pipe on.

Bruce
                        Do come up with stuff or do you have a book? Best laugh I had all day.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What do you guys think about the spiral saw blade(T-207)?

ben, not sure if ridgid has discontinued the spiral root saw for the k-50, but i have them for mine. it's identical to the k-60 version #T-109,110,111.

i wouldn't use it for grease. i would rather break up grease into smaller piecec than to bore through it with a saw.

the grease will cake up and a saw will load up. the 4 blade saw rooth cutter is a good choice for me.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

What have you guys found to be the best heads for clearing HARD grease stoppages? I don't use a jetter so that's not the answer.
                            Personally I would use the Ridgid 4 blade tooth cutter to make sure I had an opening then the spiral bar cutter or tooth cutter as I ran cold water.

The reasoning for cold water is you want the grease to float away in chunks rather then be suspended in hot water where it will adhere to colder piping down stream as the water gets cooler

If possible I would use the 11/4 open cable MESSY as hell but it does remove grease packed lines and when you use the finishing blades then use hot water and detergent to clean the cables as you retract it.

I don't care for the chain knockers only because if it is clay piping it may crack it and if it is older cast iron it may cause problems with scale deposits and always the possibility of making a small crack that much larger.

I start off with a small head and each time I go in after I have a flow established I increase the cutter size.

Actually for tough grease choked lines I use the snake then a jetter for scouring the lines .

Really packed lines I would not even consider jetting until I knew the lines could handle the volume of water after I snaked them

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              ben, not sure if ridgid has discontinued the spiral root saw for the k-50, but i have them for mine. it's identical to the k-60 version #T-109,110,111.

rick.
                              For the K-50 they are T-207, T-208 & T-209.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X