Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best jetter?

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Rick, what's the disadvantage with front jets?
    ben, using a front jet will cut down on your ability to pull the hose downstream. it's good for cutting through a stoppage, but i find that a good all rear nozzle will penetrate the stoppage and have plenty of pulling power to get you down stream.

of course a larger trailer jetter has plenty of reserve power to get you downstream. i even have a nozzle with 3 front jets to help wash and cut ahead of it.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Does anyone have any specific jetter nozzle heads, brand and model #, that they like?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Okay stupid question here, how do you fill a 300 gallon tank? A garden hose seems like it would take to long and we can't touch fire hydrants without permission.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The tank in my truck is only 125 gallon. A garden hose only takes about 10 to15min. Where I`m doing the jetting in the town that got hit by the F-5 twister the city is letting me fill off the fire hydrants as I`m doing the work for the city.

The nozzle head I`m using to flush out all the mud has 3 front jets with 12 rear jets. Seems to work pretty good on flushing mud if you back jet

Only thing I wished I would have gotten was a self winding real. Winding up 250 feet under pressure becomes a real task after about 1/2 a day of working it. If I was just doing one or 2 sewers a day with it, it wouldnt be a problem but after a full day of nonstop working you feel the burn
          Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 09-29-2007, 10:55 AM.
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Water Jetting van W/ water tank

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...02246532TzXqYV

Comment

well I prefer zonify jetter becouse it's really good at watching his borders, much easier to snap on them.

Comment

Happy to comment and have a great deal of experience here as the jetter is my tool of choice for almost any job. I spec my own components and have my jetters custom built to fit my application as nothing appropriate is offered by the industry. But I can't respond intelligently without writing a book unless I know what you intend to do with it.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

By all means and write a book. Most of us do and any info you give would be great.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

start with what you want to do, choose a nozzle to do it, size the pump to run the nozzle, choose an engine and drive to run the pump. understand pumps; pumps do NOT make pressue. positive displacement pumps ala those used on jetters make flow. centrifugal pumps make head (akin to pressue but different), but are not used in high pressure applications like a jetter. pressure results from restriction to flow (ie, a nozzle). you size the orifices (jets, holes) in your nozzle to produce the backpressure you want at the flow you want. your major consideration is flow rate. most machines are advertised as to pressure as pressure is easy and cheap to make and print ads that read 6000psi! sound great, but in practice, psi doesn't matter other than to make sure your components are rated for what you are running... 2000-3000psi cleans anything great and pulls fine given enough flow. the more flow the better but with more comes expense and problems. most hose bibs on city water in my area give out at about 6gpm, wells often much less. so if you are trying to do an 8 gpm machine, or a 20gpm machine, you will be hooking to hydrants with all the attendant hassles or running the machine off a tank. neither is an option for me, but may be for you. also cost of components starts going off the charts above 8 or 10 gpm. and physical size of the components gets problematic if you dont want a trailer or dedicated truck.

this could go on and on so ill just cut it short; 5-6gpm at 3500psi is great for 3"- 4", fine for 6", and sketchy but can be effective used with care and attention in 8". a machine of this size will easily fit in a van or pickup and do most jobs if you are not doing industrial or municipal, and you wont need to run off a tank. I spec my own as i am at 10,000' elevation and the engines they come with won't run the pump at full capacity at this elevation. AR now makes a 5.5 gpm direct drive pump which eliminates the belt drive for a more compact unit and no alignment hassles. for 2" and smaller lines (kitchen sinks, vanity sinks, floor drains, etc) i use a portable electric carwash unit converted to my purposes; 2gpm at 1500 psi, 40lb, compact so i can carry it into the house or up to the unit, wont blow a 15amp breaker.

on the bigger machine I recommend 1/4 inch hose, not 3/8. no need for 3/8, ive proven it over and over, and 1/4 goes thru multiple beds with ease, and more gets on a compact reel, and its cheaper.... its just better. i prefer parker hose, the orange plastic stuff... I can get you part # if you want. i find less than 250' impractical for me, the 500' box length will fit on my reels but its a hassle keeping it from freezing. i use 350-400 footers, trim them back and recrimp as they get torn up on the working end. i get a year or two out of a hose. on the small machine i use 1/8" plastic covered brass braided hose and tell me im crazy all you want; it works better than ANYTHING in 2" and smaller lines. also i can attach this tiny hose to the end of my bigger machine and use it to pop holes in frozen lines with minimal water flow in cases where flooding is an issue

nozzles i use a variety.. all my nozzles have a single small forward jet as i live at 10,000' elevation and its winter for like 8 months a year here... i thaw frozen lines and i need that forward jet to do it. i LOVE the stone age warthog for a final pass in 3" or 4". and even with my realtively small machine it does a shockingly good job in up to 8". I've thawed frozen 10 and 12" mains with this setup for small tows in the area when no one else would come to help them. worth every penny. i have the 3/8 warthog and bush them down to 1/4 inch. most of my other nozzles are from aquamole as they will work with me on custom drillings.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Now that's a good book.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I used to do jettings, but haven't in a while the one I used was a ridged, but I don't know the model. I found the pulse helpfull and I agree about a the front shooting nozzel being mor trouble than worth as well. However after I ran through the line with the all rear shooting I would use the spinner and just feed the line out slow to really clear the grease of the walls of the pipe. I have used a Harbon trailer jet once, I believe this is the best way to jet the lines to get a good clean, the portables I don't believe the have enough gpm to get a good flow going.

Billytwohatz

Comment

Working...
                        X