X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best jetter?

Alright, I think it's clear what the best snake is (K60 of course). So which jetters do you guys like. What do you look for when purchasing a jetter? Are there any options offered that you guys consider must haves? What about tips on using them?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Best jetter?

Ben,

You are a little to vague regarding what type of work you want to do but assuming you want a portable gas Jetter I have used and like both the General and the Ridgid. Consider you will also want a remote cart on some jobs.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'm just talking about jetters in general Mark, after the tiring collateral sidebars, I just want to talk plumbing. When I ask on what to look for; a honda motor or briggs and straton, how long of a hose, what's the best type of hose, hose reel mounted on top or at the bottom, what psi, how many gallons; just a general talk about jetters is all I'm looking for. I just want to talk plumbing with the guys that I know have the answers.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

There is NO BEST it depends on your actual NEEDS

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Alright, I think it's clear what the best snake is (K60 of course).

So which jetters do you guys like. Ridgid indoor electric KJ 1350 as it draws less amps then most other jetters

Portability outdoors KJ2200

Or Vactor for for really heavy cleaning like the sewers of New Orleans that were full of mud and other debris that needed vacuuming and really high pressure high volume jetting

What do you look for when purchasing a jetter?

PSI /GPM Pay back time, company support

Are there any options offered that you guys consider must haves? What about tips on using them?
        Wash wand is NOT a must have, but its great for cleaning trucks and other equipment.

Penetrating head possibly wart Hog, O' Brian for root cutting (If you have the GPM /PSI)

A Ridgid Pumper that uses the Jetter to pump out flooded catch basins or basements. THIS is ONE AMAZING TOOL

You asked for
        tips then for SERIOUS jetting and drain cleaning professionals You may want to sign up for the February 27 -29 ,March 1, 2008 Expo in Louisville

Register on line WWW.PUMPERSHOW.com

OR call

1 800-257 7222

There will be over 500 companies showing exhibits

Rather then ask us why not go there and see state of the art equipment PLUS possibly take some of the 64 educational seminars being offered.

Pumper & Cleaner Environmental EXPO should be the biggest one to date a lot more then Nashville had

600,000 SQ FT of exhibit floor space.

PLUS Jeff Foxworthy will be performing live THUR Feb 28, 7 PM

Or just call Ridgid Ohio and tell then the diameter of the piping your going to be working with and if roots,grease or sand etc is what your expecting to encounter and they will guide you to the right Jetter and attachments.

DO NOT forget the H -60 CART as it works great for the 1350 and 2200

Happy Jetting

Comment

I guess I would have to be bias to the Honda motors as everything I have ever owned has been the Honda. My first jetter was fairly simple and was made by JM McKinney under their Maxi-Jet name. It was not as fancy as the Generals or the Ridgids are today but it was reliable and it got the job done.

My Generals (4-wheeled) were a little large if you have a regular truck but in our trucks they were fine. The Ridgid is a little more compact and will do everything the General will do but has a smaller foot print.

Hose size I would say minimun 250' of 3/8", 100' of 1/4" and 100' of wash down hose would be a good start. Don't be cheap with your reels or valves as the cheaper ones are not worth the hassel. You want reels and valves built for the pressure you are working with.

Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark, that was the info I was looking for.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

[quote=ToUtahNow;96354]I guess I would have to be bias to the Honda motors as everything I have ever owned has been the Honda. My first jetter was fairly simple and was made by JM McKinney under their Maxi-Jet name. It was not as fancy as the Generals or the Ridgids are today but it was reliable and it got the job done.

My Generals (4-wheeled) were a little large if you have a regular truck but in our trucks they were fine. The Ridgid is a little more compact and will do everything the General will do but has a smaller foot print.

Hose size I would say minimun 250' of 3/8", 100' of 1/4" and 100' of wash down hose would be a good start. Don't be cheap with your reels or valves as the cheaper ones are not worth the hassel. You want reels and valves built for the pressure you are working with.

Your got that right the Honda is one hell of an engine which I have on the Ridgid 2200 it worked 4- 12 hr days continuous never stalled 5.5 HP I believe.

One the big Jetter 3010 I thought Kohler magnum 25 HP was the way to go.

The reels cost me over $350.00 but they do hold 300 ft of 1/2 (IPS size ends) and the 1" (IPS) holds 250 ft on the larger reel

I think the 3/8 would have to much of a pressure drop @250 ft and not that much volume

Once I go over 100 ft I use the 1/2

I do not go more then 50 ft with the 1/4 unless I use the stainless steel covered hose REALLY pricey stuff but it does fly through all kinds of bends and a lot less friction then rubber hitting the sides of CI piping. The SS hose cost almost $3.00 per ft but it does travel through the pipes

Personal choices I guess

Comment

IMO i think US Jetting Jets are the best...I have used US jetting jets, Electrical Eel Jets, Ridgid Jets, Spartan Jets, and Water Cannon jets....The Water Cannon small gas jetter 4000psi at 5gpm ...its great for 2-6IN pipe and it will go 200ft no problem...The US Jetter i used was a Truck mounted jetter, 14gpm, 3000psi...The only downfall i had with the US Jetter was the engine was a lombardini engine, and there arent many companies that service those...When we get to the show, we can check out some stuff there, you know what im aiming for
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I dont like jetters but I now own one...rotflmao

3/8 X 250`

Filter

Big Gear Drive Pump 3000psi 7gpm

cant beat a cable with the right guy running it (((other then a wash down of mud or rust)))
                  Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 09-27-2007, 11:05 PM.
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

As for hose length I think it's like a sewer camera. You almost can never push a mini 200' but you buy 200' so you can make repairs.

Mark

Comment

My jetter will suck the 3/8 line down the sewer, all 250` feet of it with no problem

Comment

ben, a jetter is sized almost like a cable machine. the engine size/ h.p and psi/ gpm all play into the equation.

the one i have on the truck today is a 18 h.p 5.6gpm @3500 psi. a good strong machine for pipe up to 6''. you don't want this as an everyday machine as it's large, heavy and too much for your typical 1.5''- 4'' pipe.

i feel a 13 h.p @4gpm and 3000# is a good choice for just about all you'll run into in a residential application.

a 6.5 h.p @ 3gpm and 2500# is great for kitchen lines and laundry 2'' lines. light portable and easy to carry on the truck.

the small electric are just too small to do any real cleaning. 1350 psi @1.4 gallons per minute might be good for an auto detailer, but not for pipe cleaning. cleaning requires pressure to cut and flow to wash. flow is actually more valuable than pressure.

as far as hoses go, i've played with a lot of designs both bought and home made. the best hoses i have are braided stainless steel with a teflon core.

also a foot pedal is very important for jetting to free up your hands and give you a safety valve.

general has a much larger selection of jetters than ridgid.

water cannon is also a good source as they are very reasonable and a good co. to deal with. they have a hugh inventory and can mix and match engines , pumps and reels.

vibra- pulse is not as important as they make it out to be. a good hose and a foot pedal is the real trick. nozzles are like cutters. each person has their favorites, so do i. on portable jetters, i stay away from front jets. also most rotary nozzles are a waste. a slow speed rotary is the only way to go. a warthog is the one to go with. don't think a small portable can power the warthog properly.

don't share this with your wife or you'll get a time out from the froum

rick.

as far as a trailer jet goes. there are a few choices but that's a different subject and your wife already doesn't like when i talk new toys with you

how's that new seesnake
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, what's the disadvantage with front jets?
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

finding holes in the pipe or joints and digging in deeper then getting stuck
                            Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 09-28-2007, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I tried the small jetters and found them to be like trying to fight a forest fire with a squirt gun. I currently own two of the US Jetting 4018 trailer jetters. They have 50 horse diesel engines with 300 gallon tanks and 500 feet of 1/2 hose. I have a variety of nozzles (the key to cleaning) and wireless remote with vibra-pulse. We use these Jetters almost daily and clean lines form 2 to 24 inches. A jetter can be a real money maker and makes cleaning grease or sludge a breeze. Of course there is a learning curve to using one of these high pressure jetters, but US Jet is very good about providing training. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X