X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

Last edited by Tyman; 02-22-2010, 08:26 PM.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Need some advice

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
    I have been having a terrible time snaking drains. I broke on 7/8" cable using a K-75 then a couple days later got a 1/2" cable stuck using a K-3800. Finally on Friday I kinked the 1/2" cable on the K-3800.

The 7/8" cables are pretty worn so I am not sure I can take the blame for that one. The owner isn't too upset and keeps telling me "it's technique". He is huge fan of the "School of Hard Knocks" and I think he actually enjoys my growing pains. So I would like some info from you guys,

How many times have you broke a snake?
    How many times have you got one caught and not able to get it out?
    Do you keep the blades sharp or just let them go?
    Do you have anything you do before putting the cable in the pipe?

I really enjoy plumbing but snaking is not coming as quickly as I would like.
    Once
    Never
    A little of each
    Evaluate where the problem is and what I am going to do.

Drain cleaning is not a science and as such sometimes it takes time to get the feel for it. My best suggestion to you is to know you equipments limitations while using more brain and less brawn.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

How many times have you broke a snake? Never
      How many times have you got one caught and not able to get it out? Never but I've had plenty of close calls. I'm probably going to get stuck tommorrow.
      Do you keep the blades sharp or just let them go? I sharpen my root cutting blades. To each his own.
      Do you have anything you do before putting the cable in the pipe? If I have to run my snake through the house drains, I peek my head in the crawlspace to get a general idea of the layout. It's a little dirty but it helps speed thing along.

Don't give up, it's fustrating sometimes but you'll get the hang of it. A couple of key points:
      1. Start with a straight auger to clear it then run the cutting heads to clean it. The straight auger will also give you an idea what you're up against. Go small heads then work your way up.
      2. It's easier to kink and break a smaller cable. I often use a sectional 7/8" cable in 2" pipe with no adverse effects.
      3. Don't force the cable against a stoppage. I never just let the head spin on a stoppage. I constantly move the cable back and forth. This also prevents the same part of the cable turning causing it to heat up. You'll notice this when running sectionals.
      4. Go through this entire section and read all the past threads. If someone
      condensed all the information posted, we would have a very informative book on drain cleaning. That's how I learned about drain cleaning.
      5. Think about getting a sectional machine. Look up "K-60" and you'll quickly see many converts to the sectionals. Best of luck.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

1. 3 times right out of the drum and twice in a sewer, all with in the last 2 years and all on my K-7500 with 3/4 innercor cable.....hummmmmmmmm

2. Never, I`v always gotten em out with a little work

3. I let em go and just replace em when I feel they are taking to long to cut roots.

4. you lost me on that one
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Although I own plenty of Rigid's Tools (Navitrac II/Transmitters, Propress, Seesnake plus, Mini Seesnake,) I like Mytana Drain Cleaning machines and use their M661 and M81 all with closed reels. I have only had one cable break (3/4 inch)which was almost brand new and I beleive defective. I always start with a small head or no head and work my way up. I also use my cameras as often as possible. I have gotten cables stuck in both sink lines and roof stacks, but have found by simply taking my time and working at it, I have yet to leave one behind. I keep both hands on the cable and have learned to feel what is happening at the other end. The touch and feel is everything. I also clean my cables with a rag as they are coming out of a line and oil them as needed. I use hollow core cables for sinks and small drains and wire core on main lines or where I feel roots are a problem. Oh and don't use the reverse button unless all else fails and then sparingly. Good luck

Comment

Although I own plenty of Rigid's Tools (Navitrac II/Transmitters, Propress, Seesnake plus, Mini Seesnake,) I like Mytana Drain Cleaning machines and use their M661 and M81 all with closed reels. I have only had one cable break (3/4 inch)which was almost brand new and I beleive defective. I always start with a small head or no head and work my way up. I also use my cameras as often as possible. I have gotten cables stuck in both sink lines and roof stacks, but have found by simply taking my time and working at it, I have yet to leave one behind. I keep both hands on the cable and have learned to feel what is happening at the other end. The touch and feel is everything. I also clean my cables with a rag as they are coming out of a line and oil them as needed. I use hollow core cables for sinks and small drains and wire core on main lines or where I feel roots are a problem. Oh and don't use the reverse button unless all else fails and then sparingly. Good luck[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
            Last edited by FlaPlumin; 09-30-2007, 04:03 PM. Reason: font too large

Comment

well it finally happened

i got my 7/8'' k-60 stuck the other day.

it's not the fault of the machine, or myself

it's the fault of the people that install that garbage styrene pipe and fittings around pools for area drains.

this was an installation that they did in 1995 and have never maintained it. the pipe is junk, it's thin wall plastic with non glued joints, and junk fittings with non directional short turn fittings.

after attempting to jet the lines from both the curb outlet and removing mud, sand, roots. i went into the yard and tried jetting there too. after filling the drains up with sludge and water, i attempted to clear it with the k-60 7/8'' cable. i've had good luck with this in the past on other junk pipe. well not this time.

after running in approx. 5' the cable wouldn't go in and
              it wouldn't come back i tried for a couple of hours to free it. i even tried to use a piece of angle iron with a slot in it to attempt to thread the cable out. still no luck. even tried to pry out the cable. i did manage to get the water to go down and discovered the cable was not in the pipe. the pipe was full of heavy roots.

i couldn't break it, all i did was stretch it out with pulling and a pry bar.
              i had to cut it with my grinder the cable was tougher than me

next up is to video the line once it dries out and see the condition of it.

for 25 cents more a foot, the original contractor could have installed a better pipe that would have been root proof and trouble free.

well i guess it was going to happen one day 2 days ago was the day

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

how did you get the cut piece out????

Comment

Just so happens I broke a cable the other day.
                  the cable was pretty old and as I pulled it out of the IO I bent the cable joint on a sharp angle causing it to break in my hand.
                  it is a lot better than being 10ft under ground when it breaks.
                  I always take it gently and try not to go around ninety bends to often.
                  Another ideas is to pull the cable backwards and forwards to prevent being snagged.
                  The jetter hose is the one that is easily snagged aspecially with broken terracotta pipes.
                  I am only new boy on the block being going 12months and try and read this forum as these guys know their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Plumber Greg View Post
                    Just so happens I broke a cable the other day.
                    the cable was pretty old and as I pulled it out of the IO I bent the cable joint on a sharp angle causing it to break in my hand.
                    it is a lot better than being 10ft under ground when it breaks.
                    I always take it gently and try not to go around ninety bends to often.
                    Another ideas is to pull the cable backwards and forwards to prevent being snagged.
                    The jetter hose is the one that is easily snagged aspecially with broken terracotta pipes.
                    I am only new boy on the block being going 12months and try and read this forum as these guys know their stuff.
                    Hey Mate (don't listen to any wankers advice)

It would held knowing what size cable and which machine your using

When feeding a snake using the auto feeder I try to keep the torque as low as possible as the General 3/4 Cable in the super 90 has no forgiveness when it kinks it just snaps.

The Ridgid is a softer cable and a lot more forgiving.

If you set the torque light going in and play the handle in and out that should prevent most tangles.

Retrieving I normally tighten the torque as now I am pulling the cable up stream fighting gravity and also possibly pulling back rags ,roots etc.

Just feed slowly and watch the cable.

Also once a cable is slightly kinked I either cut out that section and weld on new connectors Or just replace the cables.

This is why is is so important to charge enough doing "drainers" work to figure in the cost of wear and tear on the equipment.

What part of Oz are you from?

Comment

That is what happened to me too. I was pulling the cable out and it just snapped. I am glad I had a good hold on it.
                      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I have been having a terrible time snaking drains. I broke on 7/8" cable using a K-75 then a couple days later got a 1/2" cable stuck using a K-3800. Finally on Friday I kinked the 1/2" cable on the K-3800.e actually enjoys my growing pains. So I would like some info from you guys,

How many times have you broke a snake?

ONCE a General 3/4" cable going through a 4" 1/4 bend

How many times have you got one caught and not able to get it out?

Never a cable BUT I have lost a jetter hose.
                        The cables If they are broken I can retrieve them (so far so good) with a larger cable like snagging a 1/2 with an 11/4

Do you keep the blades sharp or just let them go?

I replace blades as as they get dull and also replace cables every few years especially the 1/2" and smaller sizes as I feel these are the ones exposed to most chemicals.

A lot of people use chemicals to clear a drain and then what that doesn't work they call a plumber.

Replacing cables is a lot cheaper then opening the sidewalk or digging a trench or busting open walls to get a cable back

Do you have anything you do before putting the cable in the pipe?

PRAY, also opening the STREET side of the house trap is a wonderful idea, this way if the stoppage is on the house side and you open the house side first the pit that the trap is in (if applicable) will flood and then your reaching down to find the other CO and trying to open it under very objectionable conditions.

Opening the house side will also clue you in if the street side is actually blocked or if waste starts coming back at you (street side) then you know to put the cap back and call the DEP and collect your service call

A MEN to that plumbing has an apprenticeship and all kinds of how to do books and schools to attend, drain cleaning it trial and error.

Many of plumbers are not good drain cleaners as many think they are to good to do it and in reality as a contractor paying my mechanics over $45 per hr in the envelope I can usually sub out the drain cleaning for about the same price I paid a mechanic and the drain guy has the certificate of insurance etc then they are fully responsible and they worry about the call backs.

Now I do all my drain cleaning as I down sized considerably and can cherry pick the jobs I do so now its fun .

The best part about the drain cleaning aspect is one can make a heck of a lot more money with less formal training and much less expensive equipment as once the jetters, snakes ,augers are paid for there is a much larger profit margin

When I sent a guy out to replace a faucet and it took an hr and charged $150+ for labor some folks would go ape

Take the same guy same house give him an auger to clear a WC stoppage tell them $185 and they thank him and normally tip the guy besides.

Amazing how human nature is they are willing to pay for more for something they consider disgusting.

Wait until you have to do a stoppage by an autopsy table then you can really charge a lot or a funeral home where they bathe the dead and you have hair stoppages among other things.

Plumbers install the autopsy table drain guys maintain them

So the LMP charges once the drain guy is always in demand

Talk about slab work

Stick with it just use common sense like not trying to snake a 4 "line with a 5" cutter .

The drum machines with the auto feeder /retriever is the easiest to master and a lot cleaner

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan Tieger View Post
                          Hey Mate (don't listen to any wankers advice)
                          greg, you've been here long enough to know the real wanker is the one that posted it.

if you want to read all of slyvans/ tiegers post. you will see the definition of a wanker

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Tyman. Is that your kid in your avatar? I have twin boys 11 months old yesterday

Comment

Victoria Ballarat.
                              cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X