Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Cast Iron Pipes

Hi,

Was hoping to get some opinions on cleaning old cast iron pipes.
    My Situation.
    I have about 120m of CI drains in an old mining office complex that has been recently re opened that are not in the best of shape, I have had a look with a camera and there are no roots but the pipe has corroded which is causing blokages.
    As i can not renew the drain (it is under the floor and encased in 3ft of concrete) what are ways and approx costs for gear (i have a K1500) to clean the pipes up.

Cheers,

Tobes

Re: Cleaning Cast Iron Pipes

Originally posted by tobes View Post
    Hi,

Was hoping to get some opinions on cleaning old cast iron pipes.
    My Situation.
    I have about 120m of CI drains in an old mining office complex that has been recently re opened that are not in the best of shape, I have had a look with a camera and there are no roots but the pipe has corroded which is causing blokages.
    As i can not renew the drain (it is under the floor and encased in 3ft of concrete) what are ways and approx costs for gear (i have a K1500) to clean the pipes up.

Cheers,

Tobes
    I would try maybe a hydro jetter, low pressure to start, and turn it up from there, using a camera to check your progress.

A cable machine isn't really going to do much, maybe spin the debris around, you can use a cable machine, and run a hose and the fixtures at the same time.

What was running through these pipes before? human waste, oil's, chemicals, sludge, grease, once you determine the type of debris inside the pipe, you will then choose your appropriate jetter head or, if you choose, cable blade, but like I mentioned before, the jetter will be your best bet, with the camera for visual inspection.

The last suggestion, the most expensive, would be the liner or pipe bursting options, permaliner is one, a sleeve is inserted in the pipe, rehabilitating the line, study up on these technologies to see which one is best for you
    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 10-03-2007, 10:17 PM.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I usualy use a heavy duty spiral root cutter (use an old one as it's murder on the blade) followed by a jetting if needed.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Use a cable machine with a knocker on the end then jet the rust and corrosion down the line to the city main. Some jetter even have knockers but you still have to jet the rust and corrosion down the line when your finished. What I`m saying is it`s gonna be two trips down the line either way you go
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

120 meters s a long way if you only have 1 cleanout opening.

if you can split it into 30 meter sections, the k1500 with chain knockers will do a good job at beating on the pipe. then you need to flush it out downstream. a jetter running from an open line downstream and back up to the pipe will help wash and pull the junk out to the open pipe.

a slow process, but depending upon your condition, it might be the only practical way.

what size pipe is this and how many cleanouts do you have? is it a straight run? does it pick up multiple connections/ tees?

a liner is only as good as the original/ host pipe. pipe bursting is good until you have tees to connect to.

need more info.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I imagine if it is at a mining office it goes into a private disposal system but a jetter should help some. As far as lining the pipe I'm not sure how well that will work if the pipe is in cased in concrete.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              I imagine if it is at a mining office it goes into a private disposal system but a jetter should help some. As far as lining the pipe I'm not sure how well that will work if the pipe is in cased in concrete.

Mark
              incased in concrete,I don't understand,I guess I don't understand liner install process.I was under the impression everything was done was internal

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                incased in concrete,I don't understand,I guess I don't understand liner install process.I was under the impression everything was done was internal
                He stated the pipe is encased in concrete. To line the pipe you do pipe bursting which assumes you can pull the burster down the line displacing the old pipe. If the pipe is encased in concrete you may not be able to displace the pipe because of the concrete.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  He stated the pipe is encased in concrete. To line the pipe you do pipe bursting which assumes you can pull the burster down the line displacing the old pipe. If the pipe is encased in concrete you may not be able to displace the pipe because of the concrete.

Mark
                  mark, i think robert mentioned a liner and i mentioned pipe bursting.

for those interested here is a very brief explanation of the process.

the liner, (epoxy impregnated sock) is inserted into the exisiting pipe and inflated. problem is the condition of the original pipe is duplicated. also the tees would need to be reinstated. probably not very feasible.

trenchless/ pipebursting is total pipe replacement. host pipe is only a conduit to allow the bursting head to be pulled through. if the soil is no expansive or concrete encased, then it won't work. also tees would need to be exposed to reconnect to. typical pipe material is "hdpe" high density polyethylene.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by tobes View Post
                    Hi,

Was hoping to get some opinions

Cheers,

Tobes
                    You sure came to the right place for opinions.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post
                      You sure came to the right place for opinions.

Bruce
                      Yea but my opinion is the only one that counts
                      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                        Yea but my opinion is the only one that counts
                        That is very Sylvanistic of you.

Mark

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks heaps for that, much appreciated.
                          I will give a try with the knocker and jetter, will have to purchase both as there are no contractors close to where i am with one of these, do you do any prefilteriung of the water going in as the calcium/mineral content can be a bit high around these parts.

Cheers,

Tobes

Comment

Thanks
                            Rick
                            I understand how they both work now I think I need to have a look around and brush up on my drain cleaning info.

Comment

Working...
                            X