Homeowner question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeowner question

I just read the thread on all the things that plumbers go through when cleaning out homeowners' pipes. I gotta take a moment to thank you guys for doing all you do!! My question is two-fold. First of all, what's the proper procedure to get rid of the existing drano I have? Second, since I will never EVER again use the acid drain cleaners, what's the best procedure to clean out a clogged line?

As was mentioned in the other thread, you guys really are on the front lines of disease vectors. Please, use REALLY good gloves, use REALLY good respirators, and try to keep yourselves safe and healthy. It may not kill you today, but years later that little exposure can come back and ruin you. We need you guys around to fix our problems!!!! Don't take stupid risks with your health. You are all working hard to get to a point where you can retire and ENJOY life. It's been my experience that people suffering cancers, organ failures, breathing problems, and skin problems really don't have much quality of life. Protect yourselves now so you can face your later years as strong as possible.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Re: Homeowner question

Call your city - they will generally have a "BOPA" (batteries, oil, paint & acid) dropoff location or quarterly/semi-annual dropoff schedule...
    (at least here in PHX they call it BOPA...LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
      I just read the thread on all the things that plumbers go through when cleaning out homeowners' pipes. I gotta take a moment to thank you guys for doing all you do!! My question is two-fold. First of all, what's the proper procedure to get rid of the existing drano I have? Second, since I will never EVER again use the acid drain cleaners, what's the best procedure to clean out a clogged line?

As was mentioned in the other thread, you guys really are on the front lines of disease vectors. Please, use REALLY good gloves, use REALLY good respirators, and try to keep yourselves safe and healthy. It may not kill you today, but years later that little exposure can come back and ruin you. We need you guys around to fix our problems!!!! Don't take stupid risks with your health. You are all working hard to get to a point where you can retire and ENJOY life. It's been my experience that people suffering cancers, organ failures, breathing problems, and skin problems really don't have much quality of life. Protect yourselves now so you can face your later years as strong as possible.

Thanks for the compliments

Neutralize the exisitng drano with backing soda and dump it down the toilet, flush about 10 times after that. The baking soda with get rid of the acidic elements of the drano.

I have always been a believer in bleach and warm water. Especially for the k/s sink, bleach and lot's of Hot water. As for the other fixtures, keep the hair out as much as possible and use the bleach to break up the soap scum.

Mainly, just watch what you put down the drain, and plan on seeing a plumber every once in a while, better then the drano, which can cause expensive drain replacement/ repairs in the future.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

i'll agree with the baking soda but instead of flushing i'd return the unused product to the original container or put it into a sealable can or bottle and take it to the local "hazardous" disposal site. if you are on a septic tank i'd be careful what you put "down the drain". you can really mess up the balance of your tank with chemicals...especially if they are not totally inert

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
          i'll agree with the baking soda but instead of flushing i'd return the unused product to the original container or put it into a sealable can or bottle and take it to the local "hazardous" disposal site. if you are on a septic tank i'd be careful what you put "down the drain". you can really mess up the balance of your tank with chemicals...especially if they are not totally inert

steve

Thats true about the septic tank, I never though about that we don't have them here in los angeles, only on the peninsula, in some far and few between places.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post

To clean out a clogged drain you may want to have a plumber do this for you. Because of the machines that are invollved to do it right. You could rent the equipment, but I not advise you to do that, unless your very handy. There is a product that I would suggest to use, to help keep the drain flowing, It's called Bio-clean, do a search for it on the web, this product is safe and helps keep your lines open. good luck,

Comment

Originally posted by freddy View Post
              To clean out a clogged drain you may want to have a plumber do this for you. Because of the machines that are invollved to do it right. You could rent the equipment, but I not advise you to do that, unless your very handy. There is a product that I would suggest to use, to help keep the drain flowing, It's called Bio-clean, do a search for it on the web, this product is safe and helps keep your lines open. good luck,

Freddy, I have a question, BioClean, is that only a chemical sold at a supply house? or do they sell it home depot, lowes and so on? actually, can my customer get it from somewhere else, other then me??

Does it really work? what do you charge your customers to treat the drain? do you sell them the whole container??

Do you find your customers are interested in this treatment? is it a good revenue maker for your company? does it do a good job for the customer??
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                Freddy, I have a question, BioClean, is that only a chemical sold at a supply house? or do they sell it home depot, lowes and so on? actually, can my customer get it from somewhere else, other then me??

Does it really work? what do you charge your customers to treat the drain? do you sell them the whole container??

Do you find your customers are interested in this treatment? is it a good revenue maker for your company? does it do a good job for the customer??
                No you have to buy it by the case from Statewide supply. You then get listed on there web site, so if a home owner wants to look for it to buy. They see you are the guy in there area nearest to them listed by zip code.
                I have used in places that had bad grease problems, and have seen really good results. I usually sell it on kitchen drain line stoppages, for 45.00 a can and tell them how to use the product. Easy to sell, it comes with money back warranty, (never had to refund money) really safe, you can eat this stuff. It works if the customer uses it, Lots of times I find it under the sink when they call me again not missing much product. Only works if you put in the drain.

Comment

Working...
                X