General I-95

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: General I-95

What if your sewer is offset or broke? What if the problem is way beyond a cable machine? What if the problem is in 1 place, 2' or 3' in depth and only cost 900.00 to repair??

Keep all these in mind, I would hate for you to buy a machine and get yourself hurt, stuck in the main, or have a problem in 1 section that cost less to replace??

My 4" pipe is 70 feet long from clean out to street pipe. The blockage is 60 feet from c/o. Therefore I think the pipes are 10 feet long and I would have to replace 1 length maybe 2 at the end. The pipe is at least 8 feet under ground. If I replace pipes, I'd also have to replace curb and street repair, that relates to big $$. I have cast iron pipes and don't think there is damage. The drain is cleaned out now and running good. So like I said, I am just going to maintain, maybe every month maybe 2 months. Thanks again, Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      your metro with a 5/8'' tight wind cable will only do 3''- 6'' lines. the majority of household stoppages are 1.5'' and 2'' lines. mains are 3'' and 4''.

a k-60 with the optional 5/8'' open wind cable will easily clean 1.5'' and 2'' lines. it will even do 3'' lines, but on 3'' i use the 7/8'' cable.

a k-60 is a big investment for a homeowner. but a general metro is not a do it all machine.

is it possible to rent either machine next time you have a stoppage and give it a test try before you buy?

also there are plenty of used deals on ebay to cut the cost in half.

rick.
      My main is 4", so the metro will work fine on that. I have a cobra with 3/8" and 75 feet of cable for the smaller lines. I've checked ebay and the few I saw went for $800-$1000 and not with all the extras such as cutters. One on ebay on 10-27-07 went for $850.00 with 5/8" lines. Now if I would have bid and got that and add in shipping , cutters and at least 5 sections of 7/8", it would have cost about $1200. or more. Thats a used machine and no telling what shape it is in mechanically. I may yet buy a new k60 but don't want to rush into anything yet. Thanks for the help, Jerry

Comment

My brand new k-60 came with 75' of 7/8" cable, cutters, and 35' of 5/8 cable for 1359. These machines are investments. This is why motto on my profile is "buy cheap, buy twice".
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Well, I finally bought a machine. It's a General easy rooter with 100 feet of 5/8" cable. I got it on ebay for $299.00 and it is in very good condition. No rust at all on machine or cable, weighs about 190lbs. Came with 1 small arrow shaped cutter, so I ordered 1-2", and 1-3" cutters. I think this should work fine for running through the main every couple months to keep it clean. Thanks for all the info you guys have given me. I enjoy reading all of your posts and have learned alot about drain cleaning. Thanks, Jerry

Comment

you can also run 3/4'' with that machine too.

it's an open cage rental style machine with a 1/3h.p. motor. so it will be messy inside, but for 299 you did real good

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I own the General Route 66, The Ridgid K-60, and the Ridgid K-50. The Route 66 is the counter part to the Ridgid K-60. The General I-95 is the counter part to the Ridgid K-50.

The I-95 is meant mainly for 5/8" cable and mainly for cleaning 11/2 and 2" Drains. I agree, it is a little weak for 7/8" cable work.

I have been very happy with the K-50 for kitchen sink and 2" drain cleaning drain projects. I will soon buy another for my third truck.

The Route 66 has been a very good all around machine. It is easier to go between 5/8 and 7/8inch cable than the ridgid K-60. It is also quieter than the K-60. The K-60 is easier to carry.

I have used the Route-66 for 4 years and have only had to repair the cord.

I have used the K-60 for about 1-year and have already had to repace the clutch Jaws and the cord.

Comment

Originally posted by gerhand View Post
                I forgot to tell you that my main is 70 feet from cleanout to street and the roots are 60 feet out. That leaves 10 feet which I assume is the length of the main sections. There is a ash tree right above that connection. So I'm thinhing as Rick stated the roots are heading down stream, so maybe I can pull out a record clump.
                After derooting,use Root-x.
                Kenneth Collier
                Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                Jackson, MS 39206
                (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

If you cant get it out with a K 60 and general inner core cables it aint going to come out. The Eel has more power if you tighten the clutch all the way but with 8 ft. of cable sticking out, it is only good if you got a lot of room.

Comment

Working...
                  X