X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General I-95

How does this compare with the K60. I'm thinking of getting a I-95 for personal use to keep my main clear of roots.

Re: General I-95

i don't own the i-95 but i did look at the specs.

it's only a 1/3 horse power. seems a little under powered for the 7/8'' cable.

i own and also use their older model #66. it's 1/2 horse power and i like the clutch feature to adjust the cable size. also the rear guide hose swivels which is a better feature than the k-60

actually i don't use the rear guide hose unless i have too.

unless you're getting a great deal on the 95, i would pass and stick with the k-60 impressonator or general 66

p.s the general 5/8'' and 7/8'' use ridgid style connectors

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      i don't own the i-95 but i did look at the specs.

it's only a 1/3 horse power. seems a little under powered for the 7/8'' cable.

i own and also use their older model #66. it's 1/2 horse power and i like the clutch feature to adjust the cable size. also the rear guide hose swivels which is a better feature than the k-60

actually i don't use the rear guide hose unless i have too.

unless you're getting a great deal on the 95, i would pass and stick with the k-60 impressonator or general 66

p.s the general 5/8'' and 7/8'' use ridgid style connectors

rick.
      OK, Thanks. I'm also looking at the general Metro Rooter. This one has a 5/8" cable with a 49 strand wire going through the middle and is warranted
      against breaking for a year. It's supposed to be good for cutting roots. How does this cable stack up to the 7/8" on the K60. Thanks, Jerry

Comment

What size pipe are you trying to clean? How old are you? I notice you're retired so middle to upper age is my guess. The k-60 is very light in comparision to the drum machines. I would go with the K-60 because you can clean 1 1/2"-4". You can't do that with the general metro very easily. How experienced are you doing drain cleaning? The clutch on the k-60 is a huge safety factor for a novice or pro. Rick also mentioned the General 66 which may be a fine machine but does their customer service compare to Ridgid's in the least? Not even close. The collective forum has probably written a book on the K-60. Backtrack and you will have a lot of information to make an educated decision. Best of luck no matter what you choose and welcome to the forum. I hope you stay awhile.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gerhand View Post
          OK, Thanks. I'm also looking at the general Metro Rooter. This one has a 5/8" cable with a 49 strand wire going through the middle and is warranted
          against breaking for a year. It's supposed to be good for cutting roots. How does this cable stack up to the 7/8" on the K60. Thanks, Jerry
          ben pretty much answered what i was going to say.

as long as the line is not packed with roots, the 7/8'' cable is fine. as ben mentioned, i feel that the k-60 with both 5/8'' sectional and 7/8'' sectional is the most useful snake out there. i'll tell you that the 7/8 sectional cable is very difficult to break. i speak from first hand experience

mark thought the k-50 was, but we had a little shop meeting and we put an end to his opinion.

jerry, you can't go wrong with the k-60 plus the size and safety factor is a real bonus.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            ben pretty much answered what i was going to say.

as long as the line is not packed with roots, the 7/8'' cable is fine. as ben mentioned, i feel that the k-60 with both 5/8'' sectional and 7/8'' sectional is the most useful snake out there. i'll tell you that the 7/8 sectional cable is very difficult to break. i speak from first hand experience

mark thought the k-50 was, but we had a little shop meeting and we put an end to his opinion.

jerry, you can't go wrong with the k-60 plus the size and safety factor is a real bonus.
            Poor Mrs. Robinson...............

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Hey ,They made a movie about that Gal !
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

[quote=gear junkie;100298]What size pipe are you trying to clean? . The k-60 is very light in comparision to the drum machines. I would go with the K-60 because you can clean 1 1/2"-4". You can't do that with the general metro very easily. How experienced are you doing drain cleaning? Rick also mentioned the General 66 which may be a fine machine but does their customer service compare to Ridgid's in the least? Not even close.

The stack coming from the main floor toilet to the cleanout is 3". The plug on the cast iron cleanout is 4", so I thought the main going to the street would be 4", but maybe it's only 3", you tell me. This machine will be used for maintenance only every 2 months to keep the roots out, so I'm not to concerned about customer service. I've been using a little cobra with 75' of 3/8 cable for about 10 years. But it won't go through what ever is in the main now. I did pull back a few strands of roots. One of the things I'm thinking about between the drum and the sectional is when you push the handle down on the K60 it feeds as it turns, pull the handle up and it stops. On the Metro rooter you can stop the feed and the drum keeps turning so you can go slow. Also on the Metro you can retract the cable while its in forward motion with the feeder. Also the metro is about $400 cheaper. Thanks for all the help, keep it coming, I welcome all the advise I can get.

Comment

I forgot to tell you that my main is 70 feet from cleanout to street and the roots are 60 feet out. That leaves 10 feet which I assume is the length of the main sections. There is a ash tree right above that connection. So I'm thinhing as Rick stated the roots are heading down stream, so maybe I can pull out a record clump.

Comment

You must have alot of stoppages to want to spend 1300.00 plus on a machine.

Buy extra cables and be prepared to have a plumber come out and remove it when you break it

K-60 is an excellent machine, built for professionals. General is ok, not nearly as great as the k-60. As pointed out earlier, the k-60 is light weight and easy to carry around.......

With your in-experience, which you are in-experienced unless you do this for a living, I would suggest the k-60 sectional, with a drum machine, if you get bound up, you have a better chance of getting hurt with the drum that won't stop cranking when you let off the pedal. When you let the handle go, the cable stops.

General top snakes are far better then any other top snake out there, but thats a different conversation for another time.

Have you thought about getting the problem fixed? rather then spend the money, time, and risk of doing it yourself??
                    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 10-24-2007, 09:06 PM.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

How much would it cost if I have to replace the section of pipe with the roots? What are my options of stopping the roots? I'll bet the $1300 doesn't come close to the cost of replacement. I'm having a drain cleaner out today to clear the pipe and then I plan on just run the auger through once a month or so to keep it clear. What do you think?

Comment

How much would it cost if I have to replace the section of pipe with the roots? What are my options of stopping the roots? I'll bet the $1300 doesn't come close to the cost of replacement. I'm having a drain cleaner out today to clear the pipe and then I plan on just run the auger through once a month or so to keep it clear. What do you think?

So many things come into play, depth is the main thing and how large the problem is.

A honest plumber with a camera should give you all that info. Cameras are excellent tools and worth the cost to find out how bad your problem is.

What if your sewer is offset or broke? What if the problem is way beyond a cable machine? What if the problem is in 1 place, 2' or 3' in depth and only cost 900.00 to repair??

Keep all these in mind, I would hate for you to buy a machine and get yourself hurt, stuck in the main, or have a problem in 1 section that cost less to replace??

I don't know your current situation, or how bad your sewer is, but just wanted to throw all your options on the table.

The k-60 is an excellent machine for you, after you get all you facts on the table and have the need, you will be very happy with it.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

My house was new in 1972 when I moved in. I've had 3 main backups since, a few others in the drain from wash machine. I bought a cobra with a 75x3/8 cable about 10 years ago to keep the drain open. Last 05-05-07 I had a block in main and called a drain cleaner to take care of it,($200.00) he said there were no roots. 10-08-07, another slow down in main, I figured roots. I had a different drain cleaner out, lucky only $150.00, he brought back about a square inch of roots. He said to have it cleaned on a regular schedule. Thats $350.00 this year , maybe $200-$250 a year after. I figure if I bought my own snake I could pay for it in 5 years time, plus everyone else in my family. Now, I like the k60, but it feeds when you push the lever--and fast, stops when you release the lever. On the metro you can have auto feed or hand feed for a slow going, thats why I'm leaning towards the metro. Make sence to you? Thanks for all the info, Jerry in Minnesota

Comment

Now, I like the k60, but it feeds when you push the lever--and fast, stops when you release the lever. On the metro you can have auto feed or hand feed for a slow going, thats why I'm leaning towards the metro. Make sence to you?
                            The metro has a foot switch that causes the drum to turn when the switch is stepped on. You have to either (A) grab the cable by hand and manually feed the cable into the stoppage or (B) have an autofeed which will feed/retract the cable for you. The disadvantage when you let off the foot pedal, the drum will continue to spin due to kinetic energy. This is problem with drum machines.

The k-60 is option (A) but the cable won't spin until the handle is depressed. Once the handle is let up, the cable stops and built up torque is released. Manually feeding the cable is no big deal. I can run a k-60 faster than a Spartan 1065 drum machine.

If I was a DIY trying to save some money and clean my own drains and read this whole forum on drain cleaning. I would forget about any preconceived notions I had and listen to what the pros are saying and buy a K-60. Best of luck with your desicion.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

your metro with a 5/8'' tight wind cable will only do 3''- 6'' lines. the majority of household stoppages are 1.5'' and 2'' lines. mains are 3'' and 4''.

a k-60 with the optional 5/8'' open wind cable will easily clean 1.5'' and 2'' lines. it will even do 3'' lines, but on 3'' i use the 7/8'' cable.

a k-60 is a big investment for a homeowner. but a general metro is not a do it all machine.

is it possible to rent either machine next time you have a stoppage and give it a test try before you buy?

also there are plenty of used deals on ebay to cut the cost in half.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X