X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain question

I did a job last night with my K-60 with 7/8" cable that I could not unclog. It had only one 3" ABS 2 way clean out at ground level. At 13' down the line, my snake could not go any farther, and I was pulling rocks out of the line. I told the owner of the building I was working at that I suspected a broken line, or a line packed solid of dirt and rocks. He called the company who put in the plumbing, and they said they would be out the next morning. Not a big deal, because the building was still only about 95% finished, and would not be opening for about a week.
    This morning the original plumber came out and dug up the line. The line went to 4" ABS just past the clean out, and had no breaks. They cut out a piece of the line, and it was packed solid for about 4' with rocks and mud. They patched the line, and everything was fixed within about 5 hours of them getting there.
    I know if I could have went uphill at the clog I could have got this, as the rocks and mud would have had a place to go. But with no other clean outs, that was not an option. My question is, would a jetter have worked to unclog this? Or, is there another way I could have tackled this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mark

Re: Drain question

Jetter would have worked best. Maybe even a blow bag might have worked in this situation. How did the dirt get in the line? What kind of cutter were you using. Not to sidetrack your question but how do you like the K-60?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

A jetter would have worked, it would have broke up the mass and blown it back up the line, but once you were clear it would have washed back down.

I tried jetting a line that was full of dirt and rocks, it was actually broke, so it did more harm then good, a camera would have been a good thing with the understanding that it may make the problem worse.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

A pipe was either broken or left open when the lot was being graded, letting the line fill up with dirt and rocks.

I tried with the funnel auger first, then when I started pulling rocks, switched to the straight auger to try and punch a small hole so I could work to a larger auger, but the machine would just stop dead each time it hit the rocks. It's hard working with the sectional cables inside a house, but so far the machine is working out great.

Comment

I've actually had pretty good luck with a wet & dry vacuum at that distance in the past.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            I've actually had pretty good luck with a wet & dry vacuum at that distance in the past.

Mark
            Never in a million years would I thought of that. That's smart.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The first time I tried it was about 25-years ago. A guy called me out for a second opinion because Roto-Rooter was coming back the next day to jack hammer his slab for $2,000 after his kids dropped rocks down a cleanout on the side yard. Twenty minutes later the drain was cleared and the bill came to $35

Mark

Comment

i had a job at a brand new fire station that was full of rocks and mud in the storm drain system along with a few breaks and crushed lines.

the first thing was to camera the line to see what was going on. then it was jetting time. then re camera and finally with only 1 large rock left in a 6'' line i had to try and retrieve it and not break the newly poured concrete as it would have to be replaced in the whole section.

after pushing the large rock just past a 6'' clean out , i tried with my shop vac. and camera. problem was the rock was too large a weight to hold onto. just as i was about to try something else, the porta potty truck showed up.

$20.00 later and i had my prized rock. all it took was some more suction and a bigger hose to grab the rock. now it on display in my shops glass counter case. right next to my ridgid 75th' anniversary wrench set

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  i had a job at a brand new fire station that was full of rocks and mud in the storm drain system along with a few breaks and crushed lines.

the first thing was to camera the line to see what was going on. then it was jetting time. then re camera and finally with only 1 large rock left in a 6'' line i had to try and retrieve it and not break the newly poured concrete as it would have to be replaced in the whole section.

after pushing the large rock just past a 6'' clean out , i tried with my shop vac. and camera. problem was the rock was too large a weight to hold onto. just as i was about to try something else, the porta potty truck showed up.

$20.00 later and i had my prized rock. all it took was some more suction and a bigger hose to grab the rock. now it on display in my shops glass counter case. right next to my ridgid 75th' anniversary wrench set

rick.

Wow that sucks......

Comment

Working...
                  X