Super-Vee dies before my wrist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super-Vee dies before my wrist

So it finally died after 12 years, thank god, cleared alot of apartment drains but it was a pain for one person to feed with one hand and run with the other, on my knees or back under a cabinet or vanity.
    So help me pick my new one please...
    To be used for 60 apartments half are 80 yrs old with castiron bathtub traps (yes the traps are cast) that are real tight. Otherwise old but normal kithen and bath drains in 1 1/2"- 2" steel pipe, and a couple of washing machine drains.
    My super-vee had both 1/4 and 3/8 flexcore cables and worked on all but the cast tub traps, not sure any snake will make that.
    Would like to have just one tool, one of the cables would need to be able to take a drop head for the back to back sinks. No roots or main line work.
    Also of note, kitchens and bathrooms are small.
    Read alot on this forum about the K-60, seems a bit big for
    my needs (tubs) but I'm all ears or eyes in this case.

Re: Super-Vee dies before my wrist

Originally posted by jho View Post
    So it finally died after 12 years, thank god, cleared alot of apartment drains but it was a pain for one person to feed with one hand and run with the other, on my knees or back under a cabinet or vanity.
    So help me pick my new one please...
    To be used for 60 apartments half are 80 yrs old with castiron bathtub traps (yes the traps are cast) that are real tight. Otherwise old but normal kithen and bath drains in 1 1/2"- 2" steel pipe, and a couple of washing machine drains.
    My super-vee had both 1/4 and 3/8 flexcore cables and worked on all but the cast tub traps, not sure any snake will make that.
    Would like to have just one tool, one of the cables would need to be able to take a drop head for the back to back sinks. No roots or main line work.
    Also of note, kitchens and bathrooms are small.
    Read alot on this forum about the K-60, seems a bit big for
    my needs (tubs) but I'm all ears or eyes in this case.
    A K-60 might be overkill for you but a K-50 would not.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      A K-60 might be overkill for you but a K-50 would not.

Mark
      so we do agree on this one

probably will need a drum adapter too for the cast traps.

i've also had good luck with the new k-39pf. but the real work horse is the k-50 with 5/8'' sectional cables. the open wind cable will do a great job on the kitchen grease too.

the drum adapter comes in both 5/16'' and 3/8''. i would get the 5/16'' hollow core with a bulb end for the tubs. and a 5/16'' with drop head for the back to backs.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I have K-38 Gun loaded with a 3/8 Marco cable (Sorry Josh, very good reason, read on). Marco is the only one that I know of who makes "Double Drop Heads".

I am involved in an existing 40 year old condo project which involves snaking 230+ back to back drains of which I completed 150 already. These are Durham fittings which are 2 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 in size and eventually connect to another back to back Durham fitting downstream which is 2" in size.

I feel that I would never be able to do this successfully without the Double Drop Heads.

I've found that the key to feeding these DD Heads is not to feed the cable with the jaws of the machine (it spins the cable too fast whipping the head past the vertical drop). Instead I spin the machine in neutral and feed it by hand. Or I feed by hand first (without spinning the machine) until the cable stops from hitting the vertical drop, pull back 2 inches and spin the machine while pushing foward to continue downwards.

The Double Drop Head come in 5/16" & 3/8" which snaps on to either cable with a snap lock male end.

I have made it past the back to back fittings 10 feet away on the first try about 98% of the time. The other 2% I must have been rushing. Then I just run another 10 feet to the next floor. You know you got it good when the weight of the cable pulls on the gun.

I heard from several old timers that the only cable that can get past an 1 1/2" cast iron trap is a 1/4" Marco plain end (without the snap lock male end) with a screw on bath leader.

Tracy
        Attached Files
        Last edited by yasudaplumbing; 10-30-2007, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the help, sounds like a K-50 is in order if I were to just have the one tool.
          One more Question thou- Between the K-39pf and K-39af
          I see they both auto feed, one feeds in -the other feeds in and out. Is one any better?

Comment

i have both, but the newer one that does both in and out while still rotating in a forward direction is the one you want.

here is the link http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/K-39AF.

the older model only feed the cable out, then you put in in reverse to retrieve it. the problem was that you could loose your catch.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

general also makes a double drop head too.

i find that running in reverse will ease up the cable and typically get the end to go down and not through.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by yasudaplumbing View Post
                I have K-38 Gun loaded with a 3/8 Marco cable (Sorry Josh, very good reason, read on). Marco is the only one that I know of who makes "Double Drop Heads".

I am involved in an existing 40 year old condo project which involves snaking 230+ back to back drains of which I completed 150 already. These are Durham fittings which are 2 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 in size and eventually connect to another back to back Durham fitting downstream which is 2" in size.

I feel that I would never be able to do this successfully without the Double Drop Heads.

I've found that the key to feeding these DD Heads is not to feed the cable with the jaws of the machine (it spins the cable too fast whipping the head past the vertical drop). Instead I spin the machine in neutral and feed it by hand. Or I feed by hand first (without spinning the machine) until the cable stops from hitting the vertical drop, pull back 2 inches and spin the machine while pushing foward to continue downwards.

The Double Drop Head come in 5/16" & 3/8" which snaps on to either cable with a snap lock male end.

I have made it past the back to back fittings 10 feet away on the first try about 98% of the time. The other 2% I must have been rushing. Then I just run another 10 feet to the next floor. You know you got it good when the weight of the cable pulls on the gun.

I heard from several old timers that the only cable that can get past an 1 1/2" cast iron trap is a 1/4" Marco plain end (without the snap lock male end) with a screw on bath leader.

Tracy
                Erickson also makes a double drophead that I've been using for over twenty years now. I have done literately thousands of back to back bathtubs and other lines with it. It's amazing to me how well it works.

JHO, what's wrong with a hand drill? Maybe a Spartan or Ridgid would be a better and a lighter choice?
                For small stuff like bathroom sinks and bathtubs, a drill is your best choice. I use a five gallon paint bucket to store my tools and hand drill. Simple and quick.

Comment

No worries Tracy, Use the best tool for the job. I hope thats us most of the time but I realize its not always true

Josh

Originally posted by yasudaplumbing View Post

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    general also makes a double drop head too.

rick.
                    Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
                    Erickson also makes a double drophead that I've been using for over twenty years now. I have done literately thousands of back to back bathtubs and other lines with it. It's amazing to me how well it works.

Thanks for sharing guys. It's good to know other options are out there.

FYI, the Marco Double Drop Head is not in the catalog. If you try to order it thru a distributor, they may not know about it. They will need to call Marco directly to get the part # to place the order.

Our local Mom & Pops plumbing store has been dealing with Marco for decades. Even they didn't know about the DD Head, the lady actually doubted me at first until I convinced her to call Marco. Now they keep 'em in stock .

Tracy

Comment

I had an apt. manager call us up 'cos a Rooter
                      co. could not make the drop on an underground cross
                      that picked up kitchen sinks.
                      I pushed a single blade to the drop,leaned into it and made the drop
                      but these double drop heads sound like the cats meow!
                      Rick? Anyone?
                      No idea where to hunt these puppies down.
                      I know my beloved Mytana does not carry them

Comment

Hello Ridgid Double drop heads. CAN YOU HEAR US NOW????

Time will tell. Why give it away to the grey market?
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I would suggest the Ridgid K-39 AF. Have used it many times with great success for all of your needs. The double drop head sounds like the cats meow. Is it available in 5/16th "

Comment

I'll buy a Marco double drop and Braze a General connection for My super Vee super vee.
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

It' nice to hear someone else who likes the "Erickson" top snake. It looks like a toy but I have used one for over 30 years and made it mandatory on every one of my trucks. My crew soon discovered after initially complaining about having to crack a sweat that this snake could clear stoppages that other plumbers and drain cleaners could not. Not to mention the great work out for your forearms.
                              The beauty of a hand operated snake is that guys that have used them for a long time develop what almost seems like eyes on the end of their cable, we can make them almost go where we want them to.

Comment

Working...
                              X