clogged bathroom sink question / problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: clogged bathroom sink question / problem

Max ,You Two can do this. Go to a large rental yard and rent a General Maxi Rooter,

Don't forget a large extension ladder ! Now foot the Ladder while Your wife hIkes The Maxi

Up 2 stories to the vent. Have Her run out about 75 ft of cable . PS make sure Shes' tied off

well! Good luck Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by maximus96 View Post
      uh-oh, i don't understand half of what you said...i have no idea what a santee is, but google shows a fitting with two small inlets going into one large outlet.

what exactly does lav mean? sorry i'm not in the profession and don't quit understand the lingo.

i don't know where the roof vent is, i never climbed up to the roof myself but i do have a ladder that can reach up there. but if the clog is somewhere down the vent, wouldn't it clog up other fixtures?

how much is the typical charge for install a cleanout like you mentioned?

thanks much

This is a double san tee. the top hole is a vent, the bottom is the drain, the middle is the barell of the fitting and the side drain inlets.

A lav is just a bathroom sink.

The problem with going through a roof vent is that the vent that terminates the roof line may not be the vent that si connected directly to the top of the double santee, they may have tied it into another vent for another fixture, like the toilet or tub or shower.

Typical cost for the west coast depending on room and work involved is between 300-450.00 to install a c/o above the santee and a chrome cover, does not typically include wall patch.

The stoppage will not be in the vent, it is below the double santee
      Last edited by westcoastplumber; 10-30-2007, 08:50 PM.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

I was under the impression the double san tees were illegal.I always used the figure fitting.

Comment

I run into so many double santee's on side by side lavs, all without clean out's. They are used on back to back lavs and sinks all the time also.

As long as the approved c/o is installed, they are approved
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Here in Hawaii we aren't allowed to use double sani tees *, only double fixture fittings (double combos).

*Exception: Only if the outlet is 2 pipe sizes larger than the inlets is the only time it is legal.

I.E. 4x2, 3x2 (with 2 1/2" being the recognized next size).

Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post

This is a double san tee. the top hole is a vent, the bottom is the drain, the middle is the barell of the fitting and the side drain inlets.

A lav is just a bathroom sink.

The problem with going through a roof vent is that the vent that terminates the roof line may not be the vent that si connected directly to the top of the double santee, they may have tied it into another vent for another fixture, like the toilet or tub or shower.

Typical cost for the west coast depending on room and work involved is between 300-450.00 to install a c/o above the santee and a chrome cover, does not typically include wall patch.

The stoppage will not be in the vent, it is below the double santee

What about drop head attachments for the snake, will that help to bring the snake down the barrel? The cashier at Home Depot mention their rentals comes with attachments but I'm not sure what those are because I didn't think to ask about them. After seeing the picture you attached I understand why I was hearing noises in the next sink when I was snaking one of them. Now it makes sense. Thank you.

Comment

i rather doubt a rental machine comes with anything more than a bulb auger. a roof vent is the way to go. or for long term cleaning a proper cleanout will be best. you just need to locate the common stack to the 2 sinks and cut in a test tee or a san tee. 2 no hub bands make it very easy to attach to.

rick.

by the way, a double san tee is illegal here too. it has to be a double fixture fitting.
                phoebe it is

Comment

our house is in the Bay Area CA and built by Shappell Homes 9 years ago. I always thought these guys have a good reputation on building quality houses. I can't understand why there would be illegal plumbing in there. Last night after I read about the cleanout, I decided to take out the drawer in between the sinks hoping to find a cleanout or something but no luck. the price to install a new cleanout is rather high and we probably won't do that. After seeing the picture of the fitting I guess there is no way for a regular snake to bend and go down the line instead of continuing straight across into the other sink. My only hope is to see what the home depot rental has. The cashier did specifically metion that they come with attachments. I guess i'll have no other choice but to call a plumber after that. My only experience with a plumber was many years ago - a fat guy with his head under my sink and his butt crack showing because his utility belt was weighting down his pants...it wasn't pretty...if i can find somebody in my area like you guys here then I wouldn't have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by maximus96 View Post
                    I can't understand why there would be illegal plumbing in there.

codes change all the time as anyone here will tell you, what was leagle 9 years ago might not be now, also until you dig into the wall it is only a guess on what is in there, i am still telling you to hire i plumber as i would never tell a home ownr to go on to a roof to snake out there drain, to me it is way to risky unless you have a very low pitch roof. and if it is tile i think you are asking for night mares
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Nice diss. to the Guys that You're asking help from !! Yea, You're an Eng. all right!!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Nice diss. to the Guys that You're asking help from !! Yea, You're an Eng. all right!!
                        what the hell are you talking about?? I have nothing but respect for the guys here and am thankful for all the help and info everybody provided, except you, major tool
                        Last edited by maximus96; 10-31-2007, 01:13 PM.

Comment

When I first started plumbing , I was called to a customer's house for a kitchen sink backing up into the bathroom sink. I took my cable and went through the cleanout below the kitchen sink. Cabeled and ran sink still backing up, after two hours and going nuts I called a senior tech out. What he showed me was someone took a pedestal lav sink and never cut the tailpiece thus running it right into the kitch drainage on the other side of the wall. We took it off and cut the tailpiece and it worked fine , lol. One thing I will never forget

Comment

One knuckelhead I won't ferget.
                            This Guy fergot to knock out the plug in a garbage disposal.
                            I'm still embarrassed ,It was Me

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

by the way, a double san tee is illegal here too. it has to be a double fixture fitting.

In the UPC section 706.2

" Double sanitary tee's may be used when the barrel of the fitting is atleast 2 pipe sizes larger then the largest inlet"

Many inspectors will also approve them if the necessary c/o tee is installed.

sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                                In the UPC section 706.2

" Double sanitary tee's may be used when the barrel of the fitting is atleast 2 pipe sizes larger then the largest inlet"

Many inspectors will also approve them if the necessary c/o tee is installed.

Is there somewhere in the UPC that I can use to back up your inspectors.Downtown Los Angeles only goes by the book.I'll look in my 2007 and see if I can find what you are talking about.I have always used the figure fitting for over twenty years.I would not feel comfortable puting something in that's not in there.You know how it is.Inpectors preference

The double san-tee would be nice when stud layout is too close to 2" stack.I don't like taking so much meat out of a stud there is nothing left.
                                Last edited by drtyhands; 11-03-2007, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X