X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clogged bathroom sink question / problem

Hi all, I found this forum after searching for the Ridgid Auto Spin. My story / problem is as follows.

Our 9 yr old house started to develop a clog on the 2nd story bathroom double sinks. Both sinks (with plastic pipes) get backed up when we run water into any one of them. I believe the clog developed slowly over time but my wife seem convinced that a mouse is stuck there because we caught two mice inside the house a while back.

The sinks have separate traps that goes into the wall. I believe the clog is somewhere down the line since water will start to flow into the opposite sink when one is used. Today I tried to use the Ridgid Power Spin attached to a power drill. It felt like a lot of the cable went into the pipes but eventually the cable inside the drum got kinked and will no longer come out. My plan is to buy the Auto Spin and give it another go. Can you guys advise on what to do?

Thanks much

Re: clogged bathroom sink question / problem

if you snaked it and it is still clogged then you will have to call a plumber to resolve your problems.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by maximus96 View Post
      Hi all, I found this forum after searching for the Ridgid Auto Spin. My story / problem is as follows.

Our 9 yr old house started to develop a clog on the 2nd story bathroom double sinks. Both sinks (with plastic pipes) get backed up when we run water into any one of them. I believe the clog developed slowly over time but my wife seem convinced that a mouse is stuck there because we caught two mice inside the house a while back.

The sinks have separate traps that goes into the wall. I believe the clog is somewhere down the line since water will start to flow into the opposite sink when one is used. Today I tried to use the Ridgid Power Spin attached to a power drill. It felt like a lot of the cable went into the pipes but eventually the cable inside the drum got kinked and will no longer come out. My plan is to buy the Auto Spin and give it another go. Can you guys advise on what to do?

Thanks much

Call a plumber!!! If you already tried and failed once, dont waste your money on another machine. After your time, and spending money on the autospin, plus the Power Spin, you probably wouldve paid less for a good plumber or drain cleaner to come out and fix it....Do you know what kind of pipe is behind the walls and not exposed??? If its Lead you better be real carefull...If your not carefull you might even shoot up the stack and get tangled, then your in more trouble then its worth....

Im all for saving money, but sometimes you just need to call the Pros

Welcome to the forum
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

you could get into your ceiling crawl space and cable the drain from there. you may have to cut this pipe to get into it but easy to repair, or see if the vent goes through the roof. if so, if your able you could snake the drain from that opening. Just rent the machine, a larger size would work better for you.

Comment

just kill the guy freddy, i home owner on the roof is bad enough but haveing to carry drain cleaning equipment up there and then "if" it kicks will he know to \shut it down fast enough
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

heh. You've just created quite the comedy in my imagination.

Comment

maximus96,

It is possible the snake you are trying to use is not large enough to clear the stoppage. If you buy an auto-spin with the same size cable you will likely have the same problem.

The size cable you are using is great as a top snake. It is not so great in a larger line. Another thing to consider is the locations of the sinks. If they are back to back you may just be snaking from one sink to the other and never hitting the clog.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Another thing to consider is the locations of the sinks. If they are back to back you may just be snaking from one sink to the other and never hitting the clog.

Mark
                based on the fact that they back up together, we know they are on the same riser. you probably did snake from 1 sink to the other sink. did you ever hear noise in the other sink when you snaked the other?

it can be very frustrating on a double san-tee or fixture fitting.

truthfully, call a plumber who has the right equipment and experience with this.

personally, i would try a drop head and then if i failed go to the roof vent. as long as it was a single story on a non tile roof. otherwise you might try the attic or cut the vent riser in the wall and install a proper clean out in the wall.

hire the pro and take notes for next time

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks guys for the quick response.

The sinks are next to each other in the master bathroom. I look inside the cabinets and see the pipes going into the wall are both pointing towards the middle inbetween the sinks. They don't go straight into the wall, but instead at an angle for both sinks. I don't see how the snake can go in from one, then turn and head back into the other sink instead of going forward down the line. But I guess it might just be since I have no experience with this.

We have a double story house with the master bathroom in the 2nd floor. The roof is sloped and tiled. The attic is filled pretty much all the way with insulation. I wouldn't know what to do up there anyways.

I'm planning to return the Power Spin during lunch today and buy the Auto Spin. For whatever reason, the cable inside the drum of the power spin got kinked and will no longer advance any further right before the kink. I guess we'll have to call a plumber if I fail with the Auto Spin. My wife is really hesitant on hiring a plumber because we really don't like having strangers in our house and especially in our bedroom. She's a clean freak and always worry about people tracking dirt into our carpet since the most installers or techs refuse to remove their boots and only use booties instead. Plus I really don't know who to call since there are so many plumbers in the yellow pages. I wouldn't know whether or not the one I call is really capable of fixing the problem. I only know of the Roto Rooter (sp?) since I see their vans around town.
                  Last edited by maximus96; 10-30-2007, 11:30 AM.

Comment

The sinks are next to each other in the master bathroom. I look inside the cabinets and see the pipes going into the wall are both pointing towards the middle inbetween the sinks. They don't go straight into the wall, but instead at an angle for both sinks. I don't see how the snake can go in from one, then turn and head back into the other sink instead of going forward down the line. But I guess it might just be since I have no experience with this.

We have a double story house with the master bathroom in the 2nd floor. The roof is sloped and tiled. The attic is filled pretty much all the way with insulation. I wouldn't know what to do up there anyways.

I'm planning to return the Power Spin during lunch today and buy the Auto Spin. For whatever reason, the cable inside the drum of the power spin got kinked and will no longer advance any further right before the kink. I guess we'll have to call a plumber if I fail with the Auto Spin. My wife is really hesitant on hiring a plumber because we really don't like having strangers in our house and especially in our bedroom. She's a clean freak and always worry about people tracking dirt into our carpet since the most installers or techs refuse to remove their boots and only use booties instead. Plus I really don't know who to call since there are so many plumbers in the yellow pages. I wouldn't know whether or not the one I call is really capable of fixing the problem. I only know of the Roto Rooter (sp?) since I see their vans around town.

Good luck, let us know how you make out...See if you can get a good recommendation on a plumber or drain cleaner before you search the yellow pages..I understand your position on the carpets..just let the person or company you call know ahead of time...If they dont have booties or mats, ask them to take their boots off, i dont see why that would be a problem for anyone..If your going to try yourself..try not to force anything to hard, you will risk a kink again...your drophead option would most likely be the best
                    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

heh. Grow-op eh?

Comment

If I was to rent a machine from Home Depot instead of buying the Auto Spin, can somebody tell me what to look for, and the approx. cost. thanks. I have a feeling the Kwick Spin / Power Spin / Auto Spin machines are only good for clearing clogs in the trap. and I think my clog is much further down the line.

Edit:
                        Went to Home Depot at lunch and was about to buy the Auto Spin. The cashier recommend me not to buy it because its flimsy and said to rent one of their rentals instead. They have 50ft 1/2" cable and 75ft 1/2" cable. I guess I'll rent one this weekend and try it out....
                        Last edited by maximus96; 10-30-2007, 04:17 PM.

Comment

On a double sink set up like you have, you probably have a double santee fitting, you won't have a baffle in there so when you snake on, you will jump the barrel of the fitting and go into the next sink.

Your stoppage is below the santee due tot he fact that you said you use on sink and it drains intot he other one.

On double sink set up's, I try one lav, then try the other lav, if my cable goes over to the next drain, then one has 2 options, either go down the roof vent, hopefully accessing the line, or cut above the santee and install a c/o, which, the c/o is the best option.

Not a job for a DIY'er, if you get lucky, you may be able to get down the barell of the fitting, highly unlikely on a double santee setup, but, good luck and let use know how it turns out
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

I'm no professional but if it's more than a hair clog and beyond a snake, time to get a Pro. If your wife has security issues have her have a friend or relative present and if it's a matter of keeping things neat and tidy just express your concerns ahead of time. A good Professional may uncover an improper install job that people have just been living with. Stop putting good money to bad and get a PRO. While he's there have him change everything to 3" copper, that'll stop them clogs!

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              On a double sink set up like you have, you probably have a double santee fitting, you won't have a baffle in there so when you snake on, you will jump the barrel of the fitting and go into the next sink.

Your stoppage is below the santee due tot he fact that you said you use on sink and it drains intot he other one.

On double sink set up's, I try one lav, then try the other lav, if my cable goes over to the next drain, then one has 2 options, either go down the roof vent, hopefully accessing the line, or cut above the santee and install a c/o, which, the c/o is the best option.

Not a job for a DIY'er, if you get lucky, you may be able to get down the barell of the fitting, highly unlikely on a double santee setup, but, good luck and let use know how it turns out
                              uh-oh, i don't understand half of what you said...i have no idea what a santee is, but google shows a fitting with two small inlets going into one large outlet.

what exactly does lav mean? sorry i'm not in the profession and don't quit understand the lingo.

i don't know where the roof vent is, i never climbed up to the roof myself but i do have a ladder that can reach up there. but if the clog is somewhere down the vent, wouldn't it clog up other fixtures?

how much is the typical charge for install a cleanout like you mentioned?

thanks much

Comment

Working...
                              X