Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k380 snaking toilet, what type of bit to use

Hello,

A friend of mine loaned me his k380 to snake my toilet and he had a few bits with it. What bit is recommended?

It there one that I could buy that would be the best for this job?

Thanks for any advise.

-pete

Re: k380 snaking toilet, what type of bit to use

I dont think you should snake your toilet. They make toilet augers for doing that. You will scratch your toilet up pretty good.

We'll let the rest of the forum validate what I am saying but I dont think its made for that. You'd have to go through the stack on your roof with a k-60

Josh

Comment

Josh is right, get a general toilet auger. Do not get the drophead model. You might want to call a plumber out to solve this. Questions like this, though welcome, do raise questions if you're qualified to handle this job.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

it will look alot like this one....

9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Questions like this, though welcome, do raise questions if you're qualified to handle this job.

i am more worried about his friend that is loaning him a k-380?? i hope that he is not a plumber because he should know better than that.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

the question is are you removing the toilet? or are you snaking through the toilet

i wouldn't snake through the toilet with that machine.

although i've done it with a k-50 and 5/8'' sectional cable with a auger tube

if you pull the toilet, i would use a 1/2'' cable through the 3'' line with cutter. not sure if you have just a toilet issue or a main line issue?

if it's a toilet issue, use the closet auger as suggested prior.

if it's a main line issue, either pull the toilet, find a cleanout, or go from a 3''or 4'' roof vent. a standard 2'' vent will punch a hole in the stoppage, but not clean the line.

do not run that machine through the toilet unless you want to buy a new toilet and a new cable for the machine

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Josh is right, get a general toilet auger. Do not get the drophead model. You might want to call a plumber out to solve this. Questions like this, though welcome, do raise questions if you're qualified to handle this job.
              Gear, you don't like the drophead?

That's all I've ever used.

I've only had 1 break off on me and that's because it was hooked to 60 feet of mint flavored dental floss.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

I've only had 1 break off on me and that's because it was hooked to 60 feet of mint flavored dental floss.
                If I ever go up your way, we'll meet up. Give me $20 and it's yours. I used it once and the cable actually doubled on itself an came back out.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am planning on pulling the toilet.

What size cutter can I put on the line? Do they sell a 3inch cutter for the k380?

Thx

pete

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

Oh Crack, I am with Ben on this one, drop heads suck, not sure about you, but we have alot of 1 piece toilets out here, which, is hard, but the worst is the real cheap toilets, drop head will never make it through.

I am sorry to ridgid on this one, but their auger stinks, I have a General, sure I paid $25.00 more for it, but I have had it for a couple years, where as a ridgid, I had to buy 2 a year until I was told to do general
                    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 10-31-2007, 11:56 PM.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by slash5bmw View Post
                      Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am planning on pulling the toilet.

What size cutter can I put on the line? Do they sell a 3inch cutter for the k380?

Thx

pete
                      pete, not sure if you have an original 3/8'' cable or a upgraded 1/2'' cable. i doubt the pipe is going to be 4'' down the closet bend. so a 3'' cutter down a 3'' line with a small cable is not wise. if it's all abs you might be fine. if it's cast iron/ no hub be ready for a kinked cable.

try a 2.5'' cutter or honestly hire a pro and watch them do it. ask questions and learn from their years of trial and error. an indoor stoppage is less forgiving than an outside cleanout.

is it just a toilet stoppage or is the tub, sink, shower also affected?

if it's just a toilet stoppage, try a good plunger or a closet auger. if it's more than a toilet, try to find a cleanout.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        Oh Crack, I am with Ben on this one, drop heads suck, not sure about you, but we have alot of 1 piece toilets out here, which, is hard, but the worst is the real cheap toilets, drop head will never make it through.

I am sorry to ridgid on this one, but their auger stinks, I have a General, sure I paid $25.00 more for it, but I have had it for a couple years, where as a ridgid, I had to buy 2 a year until I was told to do general

crack, it's now 3 against 1 and it's not just west coast against east coast.
                        thanks ben

this has come up many times over the years and the newer 1.6 toilets don't like a drop head cable. i find that the standard bulb end is perfect.

as far as the general and ridgid augers go. i've used both, but i find that the generals have the longest life. i also find that a good plunger works 90% of the time unless it's a toy that's in there

do we need to run an auger poll

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

You guys are crazy, I would never snake thru a toilet with a machine or drophead....
                          I use the Ridgid Toilet Augers, i like them...the heads stretch out pretty easy, but they have never failed for me....I would like to see a Urinal Auger from Ridgid though
                          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Ok now it seems you guys are just piling up on me

Thankfully I don't have an auger in my hand as often as you drain guys.

No need for a poll...I'll go quietly

The only time I ever seem to have a auger cable double back on me is in these old reverse trap, flush ell toilets.

I'll do anything not to have to pull one of those.

I would like to see a better 6' extention model made. And, like Greg said, a urinal auger....pulling one of those off the wall is no fun either....BLEH!

I have a very low gag threshold

Comment

I have a general urinal auger, had a couple of them, I never have luck with them unless the stoppage is right in the trap of the urinal, usually the piss crystals (yeast) are stuck in the santee and the urinal is better pulled off the wall and a 3/8" cable run.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X