Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Collapsed line from the bottom??

Originally posted by apf View Post
    If it's not good enough to snap then I personally would not tie on to it.I would keep looking for a section with more integrity.No question about it!
    APF,
    I'm sorry man,but if I'm on a remodel and the location that I have located,sawcut and excavated has revealed a diminished yet functioning cast iron waste system chances are,as long as the section I'm working on does not have backgrade,is in the same condition.All I would end up doing is generating an expence for my sustomer

ahhhuhhem......................................... .........I'ma wid Robert on this one

Comment

I understand both your points.I let the customer choose how much to replace.Sometimes a inspector may have you replace more.Are you really doing the customer justice leaving it in the ground?Just the way I have always done things,if it is not sound enough to snap ,it will be a weak area in the system.To each his own.

Comment

APF,

If the pipe has been in the ground for 50 years and it's inability to snap clean is because 40% of the bottom portion of the pipe has deteriorated.

That's less than the half life of the pipe in fifty years.People out here rarely stay in one house more than 20

No,I don't leave the customer with a bad product

I have torn plenty of cast out from under a raised foundation home(crawlspace) because it was delapidated.

A lot of our homes are slab on grade and the customer has to balance if they want to remove tile,wood floor,cut concrete to access pipe,replace concrete replace flooring.It's extremely expensive and would be a hard sell when they ask me "How long do you think it will last?"

Not a big deal in the front yard.Hardscape maybe.

Comment

Hey Dirty.Inside/outside.........apples/oranges.I was refering only to outside reasonably accessible pipe.Often times you can go either direction and find more sound pipe within a short distance.There are times when the whole line is wasted.Lot of folks used to be big on pouring acid in the lines,you know most of your pipe is bad then.

Comment

Well now you tell me

That's why I threw in the last line

Comment

I snap old cast all the time when doing repairs or clean-out installs. Never had a problem yet with cracks. If you use the cutter right you shouldn't have a problem and if you do then the cast needs replaced. Just set up the cutter and put some pressure on the pipe, tap with a hammer, then back the cutter off and roll it 1/2 a wheel and do it again. Snap the old cast is cut nice and clean every time
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Now I don't know how to cut pipe.
                I'm crushed

Comment

i'm back

ben you need to locate the bad area with a locator.

maybe josh will have a christmas contest

if the line is rotted and not posing a stoppage problem, then they wouldn't be calling you all the time. if you have been there multiple times and clear it at the same location/ distance, then it's time for a solution.

i have plenty of retired good locators. including some ridgid models. once you know the location and depth. coming up with a cost to repair is simple.

call me.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X