Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intermittent Toilet Clog

we need pic`s of this "super plunger"
    My customer are always amazed their plunger couldn't do it when I do it in about 2 or 3 pushes with mine
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I think Ricks referring to an accordian plunger, they hold much more volume and if you hold it down you can also get suction as well as pressure into the trap.
      It's almost always an object thats just a wee bit too large to make it through the trap that causes a problem thats recurring, like flexible plastic lids that bend just enough to get into the trap, but too large to get all the way through, barrette's are another culprit.
      Another unmentioned cause so far this thread...offset flanges.
      Sometimes on older homes with 14" or 10" roughs, the homeowner wants cheaper and rather than relocate the entire drain they'll replace the flange with an offset one.
      Bad idea.

Comment

Yes Rick, but my point is those types of items-a toothbrush, a cell phone, a pager-don't just mysteriously disappear. You know when you have accidentally dropped them in the toilet. Why not just say so and get the thing out?

A toy is more likely to go for a swim without the kids admitting it until they get fished out.
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
          Yes Rick, but my point is those types of items-a toothbrush, a cell phone, a pager-don't just mysteriously disappear. You know when you have accidentally dropped them in the toilet. Why not just say so and get the thing out?

A toy is more likely to go for a swim without the kids admitting it until they get fished out.

I love this forum LOL
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

[quote=DuckButter;105333]I think Ricks referring to an accordian plunger, they hold much more volume and if you hold it down you can also get suction as well as pressure into the trap.

not one of those decorative accordion plungers. mine is a ball shape rubber plunger. about the size of a cantaloupe. never inverts and is simple to clean.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Keep in mind plungers will not work if the stoppage is past the vent tie in and when using a plunger, you risk the chance of blowing out the wax.

sigpic

Robert

Comment

removed 5 q-tips and about 20 feet (in small sections) of dental floss from a toilet yesterday. 2nd time in about 8 months. the wife will not listen.

oh, well....ka ching

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Robert ,That's interisting, never thought about blowing out the WAX !
                  I guess a water ram could cause trouble in the right situation!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Just reread the original post. A toothbrush can cause the same symptoms if flushed. The plunger will push the stoppage past it, but a snake will just go past making you think the toilet is clear. Also that ridgid auger sucks, get the General 6ft model with the regular head--do not get the down head. 3 ft auger just barely goes into the drain line. A 6' will have 3' go into the drain line.
                    My boss sent me to a toilet that oth he and the service plumber had augered on two seperate occasions. I pulled the toilet and found a large q Tip lodged accross the flange. The paper would hang up and clog the toilet but the auger would pass right by it, temporarily clearing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      I think Ricks referring to an accordian plunger, they hold much more volume and if you hold it down you can also get suction as well as pressure into the trap.

not one of those decorative accordion plungers. mine is a ball shape rubber plunger. about the size of a cantaloupe. never inverts and is simple to clean.

rick.
                      Try the accordian, wear rubber gloves and hold the end down in the depressed position, then pull up (fill it with water first then depress, less air gives a better suction).
                      First thing I do is my closet auger which usually clears the block, but if a bunch of toilet paper shows somethings snagging, then I pull back..I've dislodged alotta stuff an auger just passes right by.
                      It also pushes most of the water from a trap when pulling a closet, then I just toss in a handful of TP to contain that last half cup of water thats left.
                      Weighs less, takes up less space then a mini shop vac, and it fits in the bucket.

Comment

Hello Gary,

If no other fixtures in your house are clogging or giving symptoms of your house main clogging-

THEN turn on the closest lavatory by the toilet and LET IT RUN.

1) If toilet begins rising or bubbling - then the problem is in this section of main (or "main lateral").

2) If toilet does not show any of the above symptoms, then flush toilet with a large amount of toilet paper, stimulating heavy usage. (This step might need to be repeated several times if toilet now clogs- reuse auger.)

3) If toilet does not now stay unclogged:

a. Use wet vac to suck water from trap.
                        b. Cover floor with tarpulian or newspapers.
                        c. Pull toilet.
                        d. Inspect toilet sweep. If no standing water, put water in sweep (5 Gallons).
                        e. If toilet sweep does not back up, then-

f. Turn toilet upside down GENTLY; or, turn upside down in tub. (Use help.)
                        g. Use an inspection mirror and flashlight, and look into bottom of toilet flange.
                        h. If you see any foreign objects, use long screwdriver, and long-jaw needle nose pliers, and try to remove object.

(This object may be a hairpin, a barrett, possible toothpick, etc., that lies against the side when you auger, and later folds back down, acting as a "catch" for paper and other solids.)

i. If you do not see anything, then take a 5 gallon bucket of water, and pour through toilet flange backwards, and/or use auger through bottom of toilet sweep.

This should clear your problem.
                        Kenneth Collier
                        Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                        Jackson, MS 39206
                        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                        drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                        X