Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Toilet Clog

Hello,

One of the bathrooms in my house has gotten clogged several times now in the last month. I have used a toilet plunger and it has resolved the immediate clogs but, as this problem is continuing, there is obviously a partial clog or problem that is recurring.

Today, I picked up the Ridgid K-3 Toilet Auger and used it successfully, however, since I did not see anything noticible in the toilet water to let me know that I thoroughly cleaned out a partial clog, I'm wondering what my next steps should be. At the moment, the toilet is flushing fine, however, if it clogs again, the 3' auger is not getting to the problem.

Any suggestions?

-Gary

Re: Intermittent Toilet Clog

Could be a number of problems..You should check the water level in the tank to make sure enough water is being flushed...Watch the flapper and see how much water is going out of the tank when flushed..If that seems fine, check the jet hole for the toilet (in the mouth of the drain) sometimes that will clog up with deposits and will need to be cleaned out. If that seems ok, check the holes around the inside of the rim of the bowl to make sure they are not clogged...Other wise you may have something stuck in the toilet itself that is small, maybe a pen cap or something..check around the area of the toilet, make sure nothing is missing...tooth paste cap etc....... Sometimes things will get caught in the toilet and you can move it around with an auger without knowing its there....Thats the best DIY things you could try...If problem persists after that, call your plumber... The toilet may need to come off.

Greg
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

When I unclog toilets with an auger, first, I pull the flapper up with my hand from inside the tank, once there is some good head pressure (3/4 full bowl)

I run my auger, once the stoppage has gone down, I flush, if I get a good flush, then I will flush it about 5-10 times with large wads of toilet paper.

If you have an object in the bowl, you will surely get another stoppage.

If the stoppage clears with a auger, the stoppage is either in the trap of the toilet or the start of the closet flange.

Causes of stoppages, clogged wash down orfice, usually due to hard water,

fill hose outside of flush valve tub, not allowing a decent amount of water inside the bowl

Flapper closing to fast, causing a incomplete flush, less then 1.6 gallons

Or last, object stuck int he toilet trap or the closet flange.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Gary, do you have kids? A toy may have gone for a swim and gotten stuck.
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I have a 12 year old; I doubt it is a toy that is causing these clogs. My guess, she used too much paper!

Comment

Paper dissolves. It can get caught up on something down the line if the pipe is of-set or there are roots.

What do I know? I am just a wife.
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
              Gary, do you have kids? A toy may have gone for a swim and gotten stuck.
              I ask this question every time I deal with a toilet stoppage. Rick taught you something.

How fast does the toilet back up? You flush, water backs up immediately? or it goes down but the next flush backs up? Does it matter what what you flush; does straight liquid vs. toilet paper differ?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sure blame it on the wife

Dental floss will cause intermittent stoppages

Comment

Just reread the original post. A toothbrush can cause the same symptoms if flushed. The plunger will push the stoppage past it, but a snake will just go past making you think the toilet is clear. Also that ridgid auger sucks, get the General 6ft model with the regular head--do not get the down head. 3 ft auger just barely goes into the drain line. A 6' will have 3' go into the drain line.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Robert why do you pull up flapper before you auger?

Comment

How does someone lose a toothbrush and not not know why they are unable to brush their teeth? If you know it is a toothbrush, then you also know you or someone in your house dropped it in.

Yes Ben Rick taught me something. But I have taught him a thing or two myself

Thanks Crack! Us wives ALWAYS get blamed for using too much tp (you missed that in chat talk)
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

You would very suprised how customers cover things up because of embarressment. Happens all the time.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by wizzy View Post
                          Robert why do you pull up flapper before you auger?
                          I manually lift the flapper to allow water into the bowl, to get head pressure on the stoppage before I run an auger.

I do this with all my stoppages, before I run the snake or auger.

Manually lifting the flapper will allow you to control the amount of water in
                          the bowl so you don't overflow the toilet.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                            How does someone lose a toothbrush and not not know why they are unable to brush their teeth? If you know it is a toothbrush, then you also know you or someone in your house dropped it in.

Yes Ben Rick taught me something. But I have taught him a thing or two myself

Thanks Crack! Us wives ALWAYS get blamed for using too much tp (you missed that in chat talk)

I had a toilet the other day, the kid dropped a toy in it, unable to get it out, I replaced it with a KOHLER toilet, to match the one she had in the other bath. She is very pleased with Kohler.

Joey, I pulled a tooth brush fromt he toilet once, they kept having to use the plunger, couldn't find out what was going on, luckily the daughters kept dropping their hair down the toilet, cause it stuck on the tooth brush and I was able to remove it without replacing the toilet.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

joey, wasn't it your brother that dropped his beeper into the toilet and had to pay to have it removed?

how about steves cut open toilet with the cell phone in it

i always ask questions about toilet stoppages and 90+% of the time all i need is my super plunger. works 99% of the time. customer is always amazed their plunger couldn't do it.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X