Need some of Your tricks,please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some of Your tricks,please

Ok say I am out 75 ft. with with a 3/4" cable and spiral root saw. I get stuck,don't have camera.I do have cumalongs,though ! What are the do's and don'ts ,please. Also, should I let customers know up front, This can cost Them! Thanks' Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Need some of Your tricks,please

Did you send that spiral saw out on the first pass?
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      Ok say I am out 75 ft. with with a 3/4" cable and spiral root saw. I get stuck,don't have camera.I do have cumalongs,though ! What are the do's and don'ts ,please. Also, should I let customers know up front, This can cost Them! Thanks' Tool

Hopefully you cleared the line with a 3" 1/2 blade first, and then worked it a bit before you dove right in with the spiral blade.

First, try soap and work the cable back and fourth, leaving just enough torque on the cable for it to pop free

second, try the blue crystal root killer, if the line is clear, and your cable is just stuck, tell the customer not to run anything for preferably over night. keep in mind your cable will be nasty and possibly ruined when you get it back, due to the chemical, once you let it sit, try to work it free.

Third and last, all else fails, don't wanna diug it up, pull it out with either your cumalong or hook it to the bumper of you van, your blade will break and chances are your cable possibly.

I would explain everything to my customer before hand and explain to them you need ot get it out and it will cost more to do so. If you did things correctly on your part and got stuck, they obviously have a problem.

Ask them if they have a history of stoppages, and tell them if they didn't have a sewer problem, you wouldn't have been there in the first place.

Getting stuck is a horrible situation, but as long as you are honest and fair with your customer, they accept it well and you will have a customer for life.

Is the sewer draining? To bad you do not have a camera to see if there is a chance you can get it out, you may have slid out of the pipe, into the dirt through and offset, you won't get it back then without digging it up.

You may just be stuck in the 6" x 4" transition, got a big root ball and can't get back through the 4".

good luck and let us know
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Give us some more info on the job..specifics...Rob pretty much asked all the right questions...we can help you better with more info...

Hopefully you can find someone with a camera
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

You Guys are awsome. I'm not stuck ! I was for a few minutes last week. I kept kool, and ran it back and forth. This info will help in the future! I also read some good stuff in the old threads Thanks' Tool
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I think this is a hypothetical situation

He just wants to pick your brain for knowledge

Comment

Plumberscrack,Yes, I come here for knowledge. Most folks learn much here!
              Do You have a problem, with My getting some help from My friends? If so please explain.
              Thankyou ,Tool

Comment

Tool, so what happened, was it roots? Did you start with the spiral saw first?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Plumberscrack,Yes, I come here for knowledge. Most folks learn much here!
                  Do You have a problem, with My getting some help from My friends? If so please explain.
                  Thankyou ,Tool
                  Getum' Tool,You ornry cuss............

Comment

I went into the clean out with just a spear,that drained it all down fast, After several tries ,I finally got the 4" spiral saw past the sweep ,I'm guessing i entered the large main,Maybe 80 ft out ,when I got stuck! It was a scary 5 minutes! In the future ,I'll use the side cutter blades,as Robert suggests. Also keep some dish soap in the van ,Thank's Tool

Comment

Whats wrong with starting with a spiral blade first?
                      In a 4" line I always start with a 3" spiral root cutter.
                      If I cant pass a 3" in a 4" line or suspect the line is broke I explain the situation to the customer and let them know I'm willing to keep at it but if I get stuck it's at their expense. I never start with a spade/arrow head because if the line is broke an arrow head can exit the pipe and burrow into the ground.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I start with the straight leader because it's less invasive and harder to get stuck. It will also bring back pieces of the stoppages so you know what you're dealing with and what blade to use. The straight leader also does a great job on roots. With the k60, you can feel most problems with the pipe. If you start with the spiral blade and get stuck, I feel it's your fault and you were looking for a sewer line replacement.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

But I've probably done over 500 lines this way. The only time I've seen a snake get stuck is when an arrow head was being used.
                          My feeling is if I can't pass a 3" head that is actually 2 3/4" through a 4" line, the line is in need of fixin anyway, and I don't look for line replacement because I don't do it, so I wouldn't make any money off it anyway.
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I used to run a 3" or 4" double blades first time in, then I started getting stuck. So now, bare minimum is 3" 1/2 blade first.

I believe in playing it safe, nothing is worse then getting stuck in a line, especially if the customer is a first time customer
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

I agree to the last few statements; play it safe, know what you're dealing with first.

You cannot go off of what people are telling you and taking it for fact.

I'd rather have a small attachment grabbing onto a large root system than a large attachment with no chance of releasing the roots.

You know what you're dealing with when the machine is pulling back tight and hard and you're praying it doesn't stop in reverse motion when it hits a turn of direction.

You all know that feeling and it's a time consuming event till you either get that attachment released because the root ball is huge, hope that you can go back to it and slowly break it down in smaller amounts to retrieve.

I'm going to have to take pain medication thinking of the last time of how much fun it was when I encountered it.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X