Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Possible

O/K,Sooo,

The building I was doing some work on has 100 or more feet of 1 1/2" horizontal galvanized 80% blocked full run.The pipe is in good condition for being 60 years old.Can one of you guys get it to 95% clear with a jetter.There are no offsets and its secured to an exterior wall in a parking garage.No ladder no digging.I had to put all these variables in because the building owner was telling me howhis pro plumber had a hard time getting it snaked the day before I got there.This line was still packed at 80%.Why are people not getting their lines jetted.From what I have heard here(and seen) is if you don't jet your just poking holes.

Wait,I just realized something,he could have spent more time with varying heads on his snake to remove more deposits.

Thanks,Adam

Re: Is It Possible

The jetter would clean the line well but if there are any loose or weak spots, be prepared for a leak. If the line is so accessiable, why not replace with pvc?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

It's very rare to see many of the plumbers/drain cleaners with jetters in my area. I'm aware of 5 right off the bat, there's 750 of us and counting when it comes to plumbing/drain cleaning contractors. I think cost is the number one reason. I've never considered it because my focus isn't there. I constitute 35% of my work load in relation to drain cleaning.

People associate mess with jetters but isn't that what you're dealing with when you call with a clog....????

We'd have a job in Ohio that always clogged with mud; pointless to cable the drain as it needed to be jetted. The line practically laid flat and it was in a lot of a large landscaping company.

Anything and everything would enter that drain with the grates not stopping much.
      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-19-2007, 11:03 PM.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        If the line is so accessiable, why not replace with pvc?
        I agree.

It sounds like it would be cheaper to strap 5 lengths of pipe than trying to vary head sizes or jetting it.

Tracy
        sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          O/K,Sooo,

The building I was doing some work on has 100 or more feet of 1 1/2" horizontal galvanized 80% blocked full run.The pipe is in good condition for being 60 years old.Can one of you guys get it to 95% clear with a jetter.There are no offsets and its secured to an exterior wall in a parking garage.No ladder no digging.I had to put all these variables in because the building owner was telling me howhis pro plumber had a hard time getting it snaked the day before I got there.This line was still packed at 80%.Why are people not getting their lines jetted.From what I have heard here(and seen) is if you don't jet your just poking holes.

Wait,I just realized something,he could have spent more time with varying heads on his snake to remove more deposits.

Thanks,Adam
          the hard part is its 1 1/2.......what kind of cleaning access is there...Jetting a 1 1/2 80% full of scale is tough...how many bends??? what size pipe does it tie into? if you can cut a nice access and jet upstream slowly...you can cable and jet the both effectively and maybe have the water dump into a large trash bin....
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

How much does jetting cost? I would like to know for future reference.

The pipe is in a commercial application which does not allow us to run plastic.It would still not be any more of a big deal to hang some 2" cast.Actually fun it's so easy.But you know how cheap some building owners can be.

Ben,this raises a question for me now.If there is a possibility of the jetter opening up weak spots in a system I am unsure about advising it where the pipe cannot be easily replaced.Especially where roots may find their way into those same spots.

Drain,it's in a parking garage,easiest access possible for upstream jetting.On the wall,two feet off concrete floor.
            Last edited by drtyhands; 11-20-2007, 10:48 AM. Reason: add

Comment

adam,

is it in your neck of the woods or mine

truthfully with 1.5'' gal. it won't get 100% clean due to rust build up.

jetting back up stream is the way to go and will do a decent job. as long as it's a straight run with no durham bends, the jetter will have an easy time.

problem is cost. 2 hours min. for jetting plus travel.

i would advise you to replace with 2'' n.h.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Adam, I've never jetted but have had calls where the customer where the customer used a blowbag and caused weak spots to blow out. I'd imagine that jetting can't be to different.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

It's in your neck of the woods Rick.North end of Beverly Hills.A block or two east of Rodeo.On Canan and Wilshire.It better be Beverly Hills,The owner has his name followed by "BEVERLY HILLS" in big red neon on top of the building.

Glad to see your back Rick.

Comment

Adam, if you ask the guy of US Jet, he gaurantees "full flow restoration"

I have been able to do a really good job with a trailer jetter in cleaning all the sludge and debris out of a line. Most impotant thing is to have the right nozzle.

I have cleared lateralls and sewers clean of roots. I have cleared aged laundry and kitchen sink lines of soap, sludge and scum. I have noticed that the jetter will groove the pipe, I have grooved clay and cast iron, noticibly on my camera.

If the line is soft it will break the line, my thinking is if it breaks, it has to be replaced. The jetter is the last remedy before line replacement, I explain this to my customers.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

So one tries not to jet that often due to so much strain on older pipe?

Learn something new every day

So how do you maintain restaraunt account grease lines with the jetter.

Sorry,just trying to get the whole scope.I get asked a lot of drain cleaning questions and after seeing what this service plumber called complete I figured it was time to get a little more educated on the abilities of a jetter on old,small,and packed lines.

Thank-you

Comment

Sorry,just trying to get the whole scope.I get asked a lot of drain cleaning questions and after seeing what this service plumber called complete I figured it was time to get a little more educated on the abilities of a jetter on old,small,and packed lines.

Thank-you

I got educated about jetters when i got married...it is that garden hose that i use to wash my truck with. The only jetter i know

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                          I got educated about jetters when i got married...it is that garden hose that i use to wash my truck with. The only jetter i know

Same idea but I used my pressure washer tonight on the bed of my truck.

Only the second time this year it has ever been a clean bed....tearout which consisted of dirt and concrete sat on the bed mat for nearly a month before it turned into a solid chunk of mud ice. Just glad to have it done finally, tomorrow it gets TRASHED like I do so well.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Thank-you

Adam

I dont speak for everyone, but around here, jetting is done very often by alot of companies...I have more jet contracts for Resturants and buildings then i do cable contracts....

I would feel much safer jetting a pipe then cabling a pipe...You just need to know what nozzles to select, and what pressure to run...I know i would feel more safer running a jet in an orangeburg line the cableing it....

I would feel alot more better jetting an apt complex main then cableing it...

Resturants.....i water jet every resturant, but you need to include the camera after your done jetting...Jetting a grease line with a Degreaser chemical is good..there are alot out there ...CitraJet is my favorite.

As for soft or old lines...terra cotta, orangeburg, cast, pvc, galvanized....I have never in the so many years that i have been doing this broken a pipe jetting a line....I have broken older and soft pipe with cables...but knock on wood with a jetter....The great debate, to jet or not to jet, to cable or not to cable....I think there are alot of different views on Water Jetting on the West Coast then there are on the East Coast, just from talking to Rick and Robert....I know jetting is done way more frequent over here and the prices are almost triple if not quadruple over here then there....

I love the jetter....its easier, quicker, less messier. I will usually tell my customers that if i water jet and video the line, and their arent any defects, then you will get a longer warranty, which i stand by..
                            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

That's some pretty good money.So,if you're 3-4 X's out here that means the equipment is worth 300-400 per hour.No wonder Lonestar bought a jetter,those are some attractive numbers.

Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X