X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted 125' of 3/4" cable every 10'

Used yellow ,red ,white about a 6" band 2 coats. wonder how many ins N outs before it wears off? Thanks' Rick for the tip! Neighbors cat wanted to play tag with it in the gutter,no cutters of course.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Painted 125' of 3/4" cable every 10'

2 or 3 ease runs or 1 nasty run should wear it off. If you use it allot you`ll know how many feet your out with out the paint.If I question how many feet I`m out I grab my locator and hook it up and the guess work is done
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Tool, in your case with the shallow sewer line depth, what about a metal detector? Would cast iron give you false readings?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I am not sure what all the discussion is about, as someone else pointed out, if you run your own machine alot, you can get a pretty good idea how many feet your out. I can get pretty accurate, but I do agree, the counter would be a great idea.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Tool,

If your cable is oiled as it should be the paint should last a few cleanings. However, even after most of the paint is gone you will see remnants of it well enough to know where you are. I use to use electrical tape to mark my cables and it would generally need to be cut off before it wore off.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            I am not sure what all the discussion is about,
            Tool wants to find a way to know how far out his cable is.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

tool, my color code is red, white, blue, yellow , green. and repeats at 60'.

the value of knowing the exact footage is that when i camera a line and find a root spot. i can accurately clean that spot + or - a foot or 2.

95% of drain cleaning is exercise. 5% is real cleaning. so with the known footage of the problem and the max. distance to the city main. i know that i can concentrate all my efforts on the real problem and not short change the customer. plus i know when to stop at the city connection.

also it's great for building a track record of a given line and knowing where you clear the stoppage. you'll be surprised at how much knowledge you have prior to going to a repeat stoppage.

as far as the paint. i've tried a variety of brands and both brush on and spray on. you'll get more than 6 cleanings as long as you keep your cable clean and oiled. just make sure you touch up the paint before it all fades. it's much easier to remark than to remeasure the whole thing.

tool make sure you document your sewers and jobs, to take full advantage of the markings and gained knowledge.

with sectionals all you need to do is count sections and measure/ estimate the last section. pretty easy

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks' all ,Robert , This is an infrequent job for Me. It is important,that I do a good job.

Mark, I was guessing that paint remnents would last a while.

Rick, I have started a journal, and will keep it current. I also timed the feed rate at 10' for every 35 seconds.

On My own lateral,I did a 5' repair about 2 years ago. Approx 5' of ABS,ferncos, in terra cotta.
                Tightened clamps till ratchet slip. Ran 4 -1/2" PVC at band locations to surface. Intended to pour some copper Sulfate tea down each year. Never did this, All thats available in Marin Co is Roebic foaming root Killer.I Cut roots thanksgiving. From what I read It's too late ,to add CHEMICAL now,roots have scabbed over. Should I dump 2 lbs down clean out in 6 weeks? Believe roots were about 50' from clean out. Thanks' Tool
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I dont have the time to make a journal. I have done enough sewers that I found out the only ones you need to worry about are the ones you had problems with. It would take me 1/2 a day to mark down a days work in a journal. I would rather spend my time making money not building a journal

Comment

All clear,We won't Make You!

I figure It'll take about 2 minutes tops! No big deal for Me

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      All clear,We won't Make You!
                      Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 11-24-2007, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I agree, a journal is overkill. I write it on an invoice witht he necessary footage that I cleared and where I found problems.

I have had many customers call me back months, sometimes a year or so later, they pull the file and show me the invoice, if not, I will usually remember the job, especially if it was a booger to clear.

I have enough paperwork, I would hate to add another notepad to the pile and have another thing to keep track of.

To each their own,

what works for the goose may not work for the gander.....or however it goes.

sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          Thanks' all ,Robert , This is an infrequent job for Me. It is important,that I do a good job.

Mark, I was guessing that paint remnents would last a while.

Rick, I have started a journal, and will keep it current. I also timed the feed rate at 10' for every 35 seconds.

On My own lateral,I did a 5' repair about 2 years ago. Approx 5' of ABS,ferncos, in terra cotta.
                          Tightened clamps till ratchet slip. Ran 4 -1/2" PVC at band locations to surface. Intended to pour some copper Sulfate tea down each year. Never did this, All thats available in Marin Co is Roebic foaming root Killer.I Cut roots thanksgiving. From what I read It's too late ,to add CHEMICAL now,roots have scabbed over. Should I dump 2 lbs down clean out in 6 weeks? Believe roots were about 50' from clean out. Thanks' Tool
                          the trick with copper sulfate is to get the chemical/ crystals to the roots. that's why the foaming products work better. the majority of roots come in from the top of pipe. the waste flow is at bottom. until the roots sit in the water line. the chemical treatment will be useless.

wait till early spring and fall when roots start to grow again.

as far as a journal. it's all in my laptop on the customer profile. very easy to add and check up on.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with Robert on everything except for his reference to the gender of waterfowl. I'm not sure any females have opined on the subject yet.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

How could you possibly paint cables and have the paint last unless you painted them from the go, brand new?

I just count the bands, the way the machine is running as the more out of the machine the more it tends to wobble.

And sometimes the drain will open up after you've poked through the obstruction.....the cable slowly opens it up by either the motion of the cable or hyrdropressure.

Are you using oil-based paint or something speshal?
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X